BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2014 11:24 am  #281

Re: The Imitation Game

Amen to that, Bear! Changes need to be fought for, and it takes patience and courage and solidarity to finally succeed.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 7, 2014 11:30 am  #282

Le Bear Polar wrote:

Sadly it still is in my country (illegal to be homosexual), and I don't see any potential positive changes in the near future. Guess it takes time, and media plays a powerful role in changing people's perception. Hopefully this movie leaves a deep impact on everyone. 

I have mentioned that my daughter is gay.  I look at her and all I see is her intellegance, her humour and her appetite for life.  To think that there are people in the world that would hate her because the person she loves is another girl..........................it saddens and angers me beyond belief.

I have a vested interest in films like this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 7, 2014 11:32 am  #283

He was only 41 when he died.

Tonnaree, wonderful to hear your daughter has such a happy life.

It is sad and hard to believe that there are still countries where gay people are officially prosecuted. It is hard to fight prejudices as such but to be made criminal is even worse. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 7, 2014 11:52 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 7, 2014 11:58 am  #284

No excuses for bigotry are excusable, but religious ones are the worst.
My sister is gay(and single) and I love her very much indeed.

Last edited by besleybean (June 7, 2014 11:59 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 7, 2014 12:27 pm  #285

Tonnaree, besleybean - your boundless love moves me. I hope to see more people like yourselves in my community in the future. The times are changing, and people must move with change. The lawmakers here have their backs stiff with traditional beliefs. Revolutionary films bravely portraying these issues like Dallas Buyers Club and Brokeback Mountain don't make it past the censorship board. TIG might see the same fate, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

June 7, 2014 12:34 pm  #286

We're long past that stage over here...
You cannot legislate aginst bigotted attitudes, but you can darn well legislate against the bigots view holding sway.
Having said that, you need a decent government who are not bound by oppressive religion.
What is your political opposition like, Polar?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 7, 2014 12:57 pm  #287

Sadly it's still pretty much dictated by religion over here. This is the same for most of our political wings here, which makes it hard for any real change to come about. 

June 7, 2014 12:58 pm  #288

I feel for you.

June 7, 2014 1:08 pm  #289

(((((hugs Polar)))))

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 7, 2014 1:08 pm  #290

How about the Internet? Do many people have the chance to get information online? Seeing that you are an active member of this board, I hope many people in your country get the chance to find information and maybe will be able to bring about changes in the long run. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 7, 2014 1:16 pm  #291

Aww you guys! Your support is amazing. It's a change that's going to need time and lots of patience and steady perseverance. The younger generation are beginning to find their voice, I'm confident things will look up in the future! With a role model and world citizen like Ben bringing more awareness through his portrayal as Turing, I'm sure people will begin to question their own intolerance and beliefs, which I think is healthy for progress. 

Last edited by Le Bear Polar (June 7, 2014 1:17 pm)

June 7, 2014 1:55 pm  #292

It is and I have nothing but admiration for those who manage to escape the chains of an oppressive ideology...be it political or religious.

June 7, 2014 3:59 pm  #293

June 7, 2014 4:04 pm  #294

From the exhibition.
It was fabulousI

June 7, 2014 4:07 pm  #295

Yes, I was lucky enough to visit last year. 

June 7, 2014 4:11 pm  #296

Me too.
Well, that exhibition.
We visit the Science Museum twice a year.

Last edited by besleybean (June 7, 2014 5:00 pm)

June 7, 2014 4:55 pm  #297

Echoing your sentiments everyone, in hoping for progress; I often think that only when it's of no interest to anyone what anyone else's sexuality is, will full acceptance have been achieved.
I don't know if anyone saw Stephen Fry's excellent documentary programmes "Out There" which looked at the way homosexuals are treated in some parts of the world? Heartbreaking and shocking.

So yes -I'm raising a glass to Alan Turing and feeling sad that nothing can ever really put right the wrong that was done to him.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 7, 2014 5:02 pm  #298

But at least he would have been free in this country now...
Other places remain in the dark ages.

June 7, 2014 9:10 pm  #299

Tinks wrote:

So yes -I'm raising a glass to Alan Turing and feeling sad that nothing can ever really put right the wrong that was done to him.

I'm raising my glass with you!
I saw a documentary about him yesterday, and while I am sure that it only scratched the surface of the man and his achievements, I still feel extremely sad thinking about it all. What a tragedy.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 7, 2014 9:13 pm  #300

Let me join your toast. Regarding the documentary - the best thing is still Andrew Hodges' book if you want to know about his personal life as well as his scientific work. 

Board footera