BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2014 3:12 pm  #241

Re: The Imitation Game

Exactly my impression. We both must be mad, reading this while lying on a beach in the sun. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 5, 2014 3:16 pm  #242

Tinks wrote:

He looks great doesn't he?
In the other still it looks like they're arresting a murderer! It's almost too awful to think about what he was put through - I'm really going to struggle with this Movie, I think

You need to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpSwP1XapTI

(Benedict reading one of Turing's letters. If it doesn't tear out your heart, you don't have one!)

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 5, 2014 3:24 pm  #243

SusiGo wrote:

Exactly my impression. We both must be mad, reading this while lying on a beach in the sun. 

All for scientific research. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 5, 2014 3:24 pm  #244

Strictly scientific - this could be our motto. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 5, 2014 3:39 pm  #245

Looking good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 5, 2014 3:41 pm  #246

After finishing Turing's biography I started to wonder - why Alan killed himself? I don't think that he did this because he was accused of being homosexual and was forced to go through hormonal treatment. It was definitely hard time for him but while reading this book I couldn't see that this was the main reason of his action. In his letters to other people he was mocking his treatment, during whole time from the beginnig of  accusation to the end of punishment he was surrounded by friends who were supporting him and didn't live him alone. He took away his life (if I remember correctly) 2 years after ending of this treatment, he was making plans for his future. So why, why did he do that? Any ideas?

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 5, 2014 3:46 pm  #247

We do not know about the long-term effects of the hormone treatment which also affected his brain and his concentration and maybe led to depression. And what is more - the oppressive behaviour towards homosexuals especially in sensitive areas of research had become much stricter after the war, also due to American political influence. He had become a security risk where before he had been a respected scientist.  
A Norwegian acquaintance of his who wanted to visit him in 1953 never arrived at Alan's home and was probably kept away by authorities. This may have contributed to a feeling of being controlled and observed. 

P.S. There is still some doubt whether his death was an accident due to careless handling of poison or even murder but the jury then opted for a suicide verdict. To me this seems to be the most probable explanation but it is not the only one. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 5, 2014 3:53 pm)

June 5, 2014 3:57 pm  #248

[url=http://dudeufugly.tumblr.com/post/87873936030/entertainment-weekly-first-look-the-imitation]Entertainment Weekly - First Look: The Imitation Game
Benedict Cumberbatch Makes Math Look Exciting[/url]

Whether it’s Sherlock Holmes or Star Trek’s Khan, Benedict Cumberbatch is known for portraying complex, nuanced characters. Still, the actor (above) felt a particular responsibility to dig deep when it came time to play brilliant cryptographer Alan Turing—the British mathematician who deciphered Nazi codes during WWII and was later prosecuted for being gay—in The Imitation Game. (Out Nov. 21, the film costars, right, Keira Knightley, Matthew Beard, Matthew Goode, and Allen Leech.) “He’s an exceptional man,” says Cumberbatch, who prepped for the role by painstakingly perfecting Turing’s stuttering cadences and studying his correspondence with the mother of his high school crush. “I hope this film does justice to this unsung hero.” — NICOLE SPERLING

June 5, 2014 5:57 pm  #249

Here is a link to a new interview with Keira Knightly. So it seems they stayed true to Turing's character and did not make up a love story between him and Joan Clarke. There was some outrage about that even before they started filming so this should be off the table for good. 

http://fuckyeahkeira.tumblr.com/post/87865932617/keira-knightley-cover-story-elle-uk-july-2014-full

June 5, 2014 6:03 pm  #250

You kind of wish people would give films a chance, hey?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 5, 2014 6:04 pm  #251

Indeed. They see a pretty actress (talent does not seem to matter) and instantly assume she must be his love interest. 

June 5, 2014 6:10 pm  #252

Also, Cumberbuddy was doing her nut(on Twitter) about one article on the film, entitled somehing like:  Benedict Cumberbatch out smarts Hitler.
I agree with her that Benedict would want the attention on Alan and not on himself.

Last edited by besleybean (June 5, 2014 6:10 pm)

June 5, 2014 6:28 pm  #253

True, this is just ridiculous. 

June 6, 2014 2:06 pm  #254

I already posted this in the picture thread, but I thought it should go in here as well.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 6, 2014 2:13 pm  #255

Wonderful. Just one look and you know he is a completely different person. I am so looking forward to his body language and what he does with the speech impediment. 

June 6, 2014 2:19 pm  #256

Yes! That is a totally hypnotizing moment, I can't take my eyes off of him... just look into those eyes! This is going to be such a treat... and such a tragedy.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 6, 2014 2:29 pm  #257

It's great how he can be different in every role.  Some actors look always the same,  speak and act the same but he is a real chameleon. I think that  someone who doesn't know him wouldn't say after looking at this photo that this is the same actor who played Sherlock and Khan 

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 6, 2014 3:01 pm  #258

MartaSt wrote:

It's great how he can be different in every role. Some actors look always the same, speak and act the same but he is a real chameleon. I think that someone who doesn't know him wouldn't say after looking at this photo that this is the same actor who played Sherlock and Khan

Benedict is one of those actors who completely embodies the character that he is. He's just so convincing. I've said it before that I barely recognize him as Sherlock and I didn't even clue in that Khan=Sherlock until the movie was over and I was checking out the credits! And contrast those roles to Little Charles or Christopher, where he's a little doughy and freckly and light haired.

Turin had a rounder face than does Benedict, but I can still see Turin in the pictures I've seen so far, just like Benedict was brilliant as Assange who also has rounder features. The hair has a big part to do with it.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 6, 2014 3:18 pm  #259

Completely agree Mary - there are Actors that I've admired for years but have suddenly come to feel that actually they don't really bring anything different to their roles - they're always the same.
Benedict doesn't just look different, he becomes completely different; not even just his speech, but he takes on different habits, different ways of walking, moving, etc.,
I so hope this film is all it promises to be, and that people start to sit up and take notice of what he can do as Cunberbatch the Actor, instead of Cumberbatch the internet sensation, or the Posh, quirky guy who doesn't like journalists!!!
I'm really keeping everything crossed for this

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 6, 2014 4:31 pm  #260

Does he really have such a bad rep with journalists?

Board footera