BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2016 7:12 pm  #581

Re: Fanfics from forum members

And my little series is complete! It started pretty rough, but this last fic should be enjoyable for anyone who can handle explicit content. Meaning there is very little BDSM in it at all. (And a great thank you to GimmeCat for beta reading my story!)

At Ease, Soldier

Sherlock and John are having their journey through the world of control, surrender and intimacy. For the first time, Sherlock will take the lead. How will John cope with, for once, not being in control? How will Sherlock be able to get through to him?

Last edited by Vhanja (October 20, 2016 8:36 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 20, 2016 12:48 am  #582

Congrats on finishing the series, Vhanja.

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

October 29, 2016 9:45 pm  #583

Vhanja, I read your second part, and wow! You really took my breath away with it! I hope I can get to the 3rd soon! Every kudos is surely deserved! Keep up the good work and be proud!

And I just, finally! posted chapter 10...

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

'Just Say Yes' chapter one; 

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7753291/chapters/17678932 

Thinking she found her way out of an abusive relation the woman finds herself growing dependent on the man she met at the bar that night...
That man who seems all too perfect.

What she doesn't know is that she is nothing but a case to him.Sherlock Holmes soon finds himself in an emotional dilemma... 

Remember to take my tags as warnings. This is a bit of a dark one; watch out for chapter 6 so far. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 30, 2016 10:53 am  #584

Thanks a lot, Phantom, for your kind words and even kinder comment. :D And please, take your time. Don't feel you have to hurry to read something. Whenever you feel like it, or not at all.

Oh, and I just started on your "Just say yes"-series. Very intriguing concept. New as well, at least I haven't come across Sherlock getting involved in a case like this before - not with the casee (new word!) is the main character. Fascinating idea! I'm about to start chapter five and I am very curious to see where this is heading.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

October 30, 2016 3:08 pm  #585

Thank you so much Vhanja! I am always worried people will find it boring because it does focus a lot on the woman... but I'm trying to focus on John and Sherlock as well! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 30, 2016 3:25 pm  #586

That is what I love about the world of fanfics. There are no rules. We don't have to follow any kind of receipe to make sure that a pre-determined audience,a studio or some stockholders are happy. We can express our creativity freely, which is my favorite part about the concept of fanfics.

Team Hudders!

November 11, 2016 10:22 am  #587

Since I've posted here before, I just wanted to mention that yesterday I finished The Cat and the Fox! Ended up being 84k words, way over the original estimate but it was such a complex little beast it needed the room to grow.

Now I'm looking for ficlet requests to keep my writing fingers occupied, but they're surprisingly difficult to find when you're actually looking for them. :/ Anyone have any ideas they've wanted to see for a while?

Last edited by GimmeCat (November 11, 2016 10:22 am)

November 13, 2016 6:26 pm  #588

Oooh, great, I*m gonna read it!

Have you joined the Holiday challenge on this forum, GimmeCat?

Team Hudders!

November 13, 2016 9:08 pm  #589

I was approached a while ago about that, but I felt I had to decline. I'm eager to contribute, but I couldn't get behind the nature of that particular challenge. Keeping my eyes and ears out for other opportunities, though.

November 15, 2016 5:22 pm  #590

GimmeCat wrote:

Since I've posted here before, I just wanted to mention that yesterday I finished The Cat and the Fox! Ended up being 84k words, way over the original estimate but it was such a complex little beast it needed the room to grow.

I just started reading this today, and I love it! I'm about to start chapter 7 and I am very intrigued. I wil admit the story seemed a bit odd at first, but I got drawn into it very quickly and can't wait to see where this is going. I love that I have so much left of the story! 

And you write really well, it was so easy to fall into the world and picture what is happening.

Team Hudders!

November 16, 2016 3:37 am  #591

I have just finished posting a new one-shot that I wrote today: "Bills to Pay."  It's a nonslash story set during "The Blind Banker".  I've posted it on Fanfiction.net and AO3:  https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12234966/1/Bills-to-Pay and  http://archiveofourown.org/works/8570035.

Last edited by kgreen20 (November 16, 2016 3:40 am)

November 16, 2016 6:12 am  #592

Goodness kgreen, you've written so many fics! I'm jealous of your apparently endless motivation.

Bills to Pay was cute. I enjoy little gap-fillers that fit into the canon and reveal a bit of what happens between-scenes. I like that you addressed John's ASBO, a plot thread which the show so heinously left dangling.

@Vhanja, I'm happy you're enjoying it! It's a very weird story, I know. Be prepared for it to get a bit dark. And then a bit darker. And then really, really dark. But it has a happy ending, I promise!

November 16, 2016 5:55 pm  #593

Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

November 17, 2016 6:46 pm  #594

Does anyone here read AUs? Is there a point where an AU can stray so far from the source material as to not hold your interest? What if the only common thing about it are the names & personalities of the characters?

I've been thinking about this lately, and particularly after reading a wonderful little series called The Fairy Tale of Regent's Park, which is about a swan (Sherlock) and a one-winged duck (John). Even though it has almost nothing to do with the canon material, it was so beautifully written and sweet that I quickly fell in love with it.

I've begun writing something similarly non-canon involving Sherlock as an animal and John as the human he mistakenly pair-bonds with, and while I'm excited about the idea, I wonder if it has any real place being called a Sherlock fic.

November 17, 2016 8:56 pm  #595

There might be a limit to what I will read - so far I haven't been interested in reading fics where the charcters are animals. I might try it once, though, for fun. It might be entertaining as a story anyway. 

I think AUs can be very interesting. I for instance once read a fic where John was the leading man (mafia boss) and Sherlock was his follower (originally a rentboy). This obviously made both the setting and the characters quite AU/OOC, but I loved the originality of it. So far, I haven't come across any other fic with that premise (John as the leading man)

Also, I've finished your fic and left a comment, and kudos. I really liked your story. A bit odd, yes, but as I mentioned with the example above - fics that manage to be original intrigue me. And I have never read a fic quite like yours before. Facinating story. Some elements I found slightly disturbing, but that is not a criticism. When balanced correctly, that will often make a story more interesting to me. And I think you did that.

Very well written, good characters and intriguing story - count me in if you ever write a sequel!

Team Hudders!

November 18, 2016 4:45 am  #596

GimmeCat wrote:

I've begun writing something similarly non-canon involving Sherlock as an animal and John as the human he mistakenly pair-bonds with, and while I'm excited about the idea, I wonder if it has any real place being called a Sherlock fic.

For me, it comes down to character. If someone understands Sherlock and John in a similar way I do, they can be wizards, space Cowboys or cats and it feels right. If someone interprets them completely different from how I see them, even the London Consulting Detective and his Blogger seem wrong.

I have read an AU in which they live in the universe created by "Firefly", booking a trip on board the Serenity, and it worked perfectly for me.

Animal AUs are a genre I am not into but if your animal is Sherlock, with his character and interests, it is a "Sherlock" fic, I'd say.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 18, 2016 4:57 am  #597

@Schmiezi: That makes sense, certainly. I've often been pleasantly surprised with AU recommendations that I didn't expect to enjoy because it wasn't a genre I typically look for (like the swan fic), and it was almost always because a) the writing was very good and b) the characterisation was spot-on even if they were in another era, job, or species.

I don't know how well I could pull something like that off, but when it comes to writing fics I tend to want to attempt things that haven't been covered to death before. Not because that would bore me, necessarily, but because there are so many utterly fantastic writers out there whose prose I'd feel embarrassed to compare my attempts with!

November 18, 2016 8:02 am  #598

GimmeCat wrote:

Does anyone here read AUs? Is there a point where an AU can stray so far from the source material as to not hold your interest? What if the only common thing about it are the names & personalities of the characters?

I've been thinking about this lately, and particularly after reading a wonderful little series called The Fairy Tale of Regent's Park, which is about a swan (Sherlock) and a one-winged duck (John). Even though it has almost nothing to do with the canon material, it was so beautifully written and sweet that I quickly fell in love with it.

I love AUs, provided they capture the essence of their relationship. I had John as a priest and Sherlock as an atheist in 19th century which I loved. Or the fic set in a hospital during or after WWI which is very good as well. I am still considering reading the epic penguin fic because the author is very good. And of course there is "A Night in the Floating World", perhaps one of the most AU fics of all, which I loved. So, yes, I read them, but Sherlock and John have to recognisable. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 26, 2016 10:44 pm  #599

So this 'just' sort of happened...

'Loser Lucy - A Christmas Carol'

A young Sherlock is gloomy about the prospect of spending Christmas stuck at the boarding school. He's snowed in and his parents as well as his dear brother are all too busy with their lives. But he tries to make the best of it...
Bloodied footsteps in the snow outside awakens his interest though, and reluctantly he has to save a life.

At least he is not alone anymore.

(I urge you to read the tags and remember my stories aren't fluffy unicorns and rainbows) 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (November 26, 2016 10:44 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

November 28, 2016 7:20 pm  #600

Phantom - you're not the only one who's slow. I just found your Johnlock-fic and left kudos and a comment.A great concept, leaving me aching for more. I hope you write more Johnlock!

Team Hudders!

Board footera