BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2013 4:25 pm  #1

A silly question for those of you in the UK

I was talking with my boss this morning and he was making a production about taxes. I know that taxes paid in the UK goes in part towards healthcare, but I'd like to know if you guys have to pay sales tax? Also, when you get a tag for your car, do you pay the taxes right then (like we do) or do you pay it at a different time of the year?

(Please I am not trying to start an argument, I am just curious.)
Thank you for your help!

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

February 2, 2013 9:55 pm  #2

Re: A silly question for those of you in the UK

crazybbcamerican wrote:

I was talking with my boss this morning and he was making a production about taxes. I know that taxes paid in the UK goes in part towards healthcare, but I'd like to know if you guys have to pay sales tax? Also, when you get a tag for your car, do you pay the taxes right then (like we do) or do you pay it at a different time of the year?

(Please I am not trying to start an argument, I am just curious.)
Thank you for your help!

I'd like to know if they pay directly for healthcare at all or if it is all through taxes. I've been watching "Doc Martin" and it doesn't appear they pay directly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

February 3, 2013 1:06 am  #3

Swanpride wrote:

Not a British citizen, but yes, the health care is paid with the taxes, no seperate insurance. But that sounds better than it is. The health care system in Britain is considered a disgrace over here. It covers the basic with no trouble at all, meaning, if you need the hospital, you'll get care, no matter what. If you get the best possible care is another question. It's not unusual for patients to wait years for an operation, because they are keep getting bumbed back on the list for more urgend cases, and the statistic shows that if you have a disease which requires top care (like cancer), the survival rates are considerable lower than in other countries.
(I really mean no offence, so far I haven't found a perfect health care system, but the British one sounds so good, until you look behind the facade. It has it's pros, but I think there are more cons).

Just this.

There is always the *option* of paying for private healthcare however, but this is not an option open to everyone.

@ crazybbcamerican Did you mean VAT on cars? Have a nosy at this: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/reclaiming/motoring.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

February 3, 2013 1:11 am  #4

Sadly, here, the majority of high-end diseases like cancer often completely break people, sending them spirally into debt for what's left of their lives. Just on the basics, though, our system is pretty much a joke. Doctors are forced into charging you for your care based on what the insurance companies dictate to them...just going to the emergency room for a nasty bought of bronchitis cost me close to $1000.00, since we currently both work jobs that do not offer any type of insurance coverage at all.

But I digress! You did answer my question, which is exactly what I thought, so I thank you :D No offense taken at all. We were just having a discussion about taxes and possible (sensible) ways to use them, so that's where it all came from.

Edit: Yes, that's what I was looking for Menmoyse, thank you :D

Last edited by crazybbcamerican (February 3, 2013 1:12 am)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

February 3, 2013 4:32 am  #5

crazybbcamerican wrote:

Sadly, here, the majority of high-end diseases like cancer often completely break people, sending them spirally into debt for what's left of their lives. Just on the basics, though, our system is pretty much a joke. Doctors are forced into charging you for your care based on what the insurance companies dictate to them...just going to the emergency room for a nasty bought of bronchitis cost me close to $1000.00, since we currently both work jobs that do not offer any type of insurance coverage at all.

Right - many people don't seek care until it's too late, or their condition has become more serious and more expensive to treat.  Even with insurance, high-end diseases can bankrupt people, because there is so much insurance doesn't cover, or only partially covers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

February 3, 2013 5:42 am  #6

erunyauve wrote:

Right - many people don't seek care until it's too late, or their condition has become more serious and more expensive to treat.  Even with insurance, high-end diseases can bankrupt people, because there is so much insurance doesn't cover, or only partially covers.

God, don't even get me started on that...  all my life, they've barely ever helped with my hearing aids.  What... are they cosmetic or something?          (Sigh... that said, I'm not deeply informed on the different systems to argue one or other and agree there's frustratingly no best one, or good answer to the debate that can go on for a while....  except maybe 'greedy companies suck'...)  Kinda sucks.

And about the original post, thought it was interesting some places don't have sales tax, too...  I remember visiting Canadian family though, and there was instead...  shoot, remind me, someone... QST?  A slightly different version my aunt mentioned needing to keep track of for business expenses?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 3, 2013 12:55 pm  #7

The National Health Service is free at point of use and paid for by taxes. There is also the option (not affordable for many) to have private medical insurance which is a perk with some companies. Waiting times have improved. There are problems however with standards of care, in fact there is a report regarding Staffs Hospital due out tomorrow. Just this week there were reports of the UKs relatively poor survival rates for cancer. However the theory is (ongoing research is taking place on this) is that Brits are reluctant to go to their doctors with symptoms, which means they often leave it too long for treatment to be effective. This does need to be substantiated by research though.

We have Value Added Tax running at 20% which is added to products before they are put on the shelves (there are some products which are exempt).

Road tax is paid separately to the government. With a new car you will get it with road tax paid as part of the price. Road tax is payable every 6 or 12 months (you choose which). The amount of road tax payable varies according to what vehicle e.g. Some cars are liable to more road tax than others. The tax discs go onto the front left hand side of the windscreen and not on the number plate itself as in some other countries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 3, 2013 8:24 pm  #8

Davina wrote:

The National Health Service is free at point of use and paid for by taxes. There is also the option (not affordable for many) to have private medical insurance which is a perk with some companies. Waiting times have improved. There are problems however with standards of care, in fact there is a report regarding Staffs Hospital due out tomorrow. Just this week there were reports of the UKs relatively poor survival rates for cancer. However the theory is (ongoing research is taking place on this) is that Brits are reluctant to go to their doctors with symptoms, which means they often leave it too long for treatment to be effective. This does need to be substantiated by research though.

We have Value Added Tax running at 20% which is added to products before they are put on the shelves (there are some products which are exempt).

Road tax is paid separately to the government. With a new car you will get it with road tax paid as part of the price. Road tax is payable every 6 or 12 months (you choose which). The amount of road tax payable varies according to what vehicle e.g. Some cars are liable to more road tax than others. The tax discs go onto the front left hand side of the windscreen and not on the number plate itself as in some other countries.

Thank you, Davina.  As my husband died 6 months ago, my teenagers and I no longer have paid health insurance. I am having to pay for it $1152 American dollars/month!  I am trying to find a job with health insurance so I don't have to pay so much. I never thought about health insurance and how it is funded until i had to pay so much for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 3, 2013 10:11 pm  #9

That's an enormous amount of money to have to pay out each month. At least here we do have the NHS to fall back on if needed. Not an easy economic climate either at the moment. Hope you are lucky in your search.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 3, 2013 10:34 pm  #10

Davina wrote:

That's an enormous amount of money to have to pay out each month. At least here we do have the NHS to fall back on if needed. Not an easy economic climate either at the moment. Hope you are lucky in your search.

Thank you, Davina.  I know the Lord will provide.

Board footera