BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2013 7:33 pm  #1

"Got something of yours you might want back..."

Interestingly, this hasn't been discussed here yet.
Sherlock considers this item to be an extra incentive for Moriarty to meet him on the roof.
Any ideas what it could be?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 1, 2013 8:01 pm  #2

Re: "Got something of yours you might want back..."

Why, it's the code, I suppose: he realizes what the code is and texts immediately Moriarty. However, it doesn't make much sense, indeed, since Moriarty knows the code (and since there is no code, if Moriarty is to be believed) 

edited to add: may be Sherlock simply wants to let Moriarty know that he guessed his game about the key

Last edited by miriel68 (February 1, 2013 8:03 pm)

February 1, 2013 8:12 pm  #3

My first idea on this was the jackknife Moriarty left behind in the "IOU" apple in the flat. Then I thought maybe the diamond from the tower.
But would those two items be worth being mentioned in Sherlock's last text ever to Moriarty?

Last edited by tobeornot221b (February 1, 2013 8:12 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 1, 2013 9:10 pm  #4

Didn't we have the discussions looking at some close ups on the roof? "Something in Sherlock's hand - nothing in Sherlock's hand"?
I still have no idea what he could have meant though. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 1, 2013 10:45 pm  #5

I was thinking of the mini-camera thing from the shelf in 221B.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 2, 2013 6:33 pm  #6

Well when Moriarty came to sherlock's flat, moriarty said that he owed sherlock a fall
"I owe you a fall," I think were his excact words, so sherlock, having realized the "final act" after they had left kitty's flat, the final act being the fall, sherlock wanted moriarty to have it back. Maybe sherlock was being cocky in thinking that moriarty would actually fall, but later sherlock pretends to not know was the "final act" was. IDK
just some thoughts 

---------------------------------------------------------------

"'Genius Detective Proved to be a Fraud' I read it in the paper, so it must be true. I love newspapers. Fairytales... and pretty Grimm ones too." - Jim Moriarty x

February 2, 2013 6:41 pm  #7

Hi Madskerr (your name slightly confuses me - in German I'd write "Metzger" which means "butcher"), interesting thoughts. But I'm wondering why Moriarty might think that Sherlock owed him a fall. Why? Where did Moriarty actually "fall"? He wasn't even convicted.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 3, 2013 1:22 pm  #8

It's the "code."

The beauty of it is that Sherlock knows that there was never any code, but Moriarty believes that Sherlock believes there's a code.  Sherlock texts Moriarty to say that he has it, if he wants it back. 

The further beauty is that Sherlock is "disappointing" Moriarty on purpose.  Pretending that Sherlock "knows the code," it's the ONE thing that crushes Moriarty -- that Sherlock is ostensibly not as smart as Moriarty think he was/is.  This is the character development.  For 5 episodes, we see nothing but Sherlock showing off his intellect.  The genius of TRF is that Moriarty's undoing is caused by Sherlock's feigning his seemingly ordinary abilities (that he actually "believes" there's a code). 

Sherlock knows that by showing off, he is creating a bigger, more worthy opponent for Moriarty to defeat, playing right into Moriarty's hand.  Instead, he plays "dumb," pretty much giving Moriarty no "distraction" left in the world to play with.  I think this is a big part of the reason why Moriarty commits suicide. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which one of the following statements does not belong with the rest?  Deduce away!

Luke, I am your father. -  Do you feel lucky, punk? -  Elementary, my dear Watson. - I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto. - Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

February 3, 2013 1:58 pm  #9

Maybe I'm totally stupid but I must admit I had problems with the code from the very beginning. If the code exists only in Sherlock's head how can he give it back to Moriarty - if only in a metaphorical sense? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 3, 2013 2:04 pm  #10

Exactly. I pointed this out ages ago. How can he give back 'something' to Moriarty if that 'something' is a code he has in his head? If Moriarty had given him the code in the first place then Moriarty knows what the code is and does not need Sherlock to give it back to him. If Moriarty doesn't know what the code is then how would Sherlock either? What else could Sherlock have of Moriarty's?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 3, 2013 2:07 pm  #11

BlinkULDHC wrote:

It's the "code."

The beauty of it is that Sherlock knows that there was never any code, but Moriarty believes that Sherlock believes there's a code.  Sherlock texts Moriarty to say that he has it, if he wants it back. 

Not sure about this. However, I can't explain very well why but I honestly think Sherlock believed there was a code. Remember when John patted his fingers on the table? Immediately after Sherlock realized what the code is. Then he thought he had something to beat Moriarty. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 3, 2013 2:54 pm  #12

But I still don't see how this explains the "giving back". Whatever the code consists of, be it a sequence  of tunes like a morse code or a binary string of 1 and 0 or something else - as long as it only exists in Sherlock's head he can't give it back. Except of course he dies before passing it on to someone else but Moriarty. Then he wouldn't exactly give it back but delete it from his own hard drive (brain) by destroying this very brain of his. But I don't really think that's what's meant here. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 3, 2013 3:07 pm  #13

I think Sherlock actually wants to give him back something physical. I just find it weird that during their conversation on the roof none of them talks about that item anymore.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 3, 2013 4:48 pm  #14

tobeornot221b wrote:

I think Sherlock actually wants to give him back something physical. I just find it weird that during their conversation on the roof none of them talks about that item anymore.

Exactly.
The only thing mentioned on the roof is.... the code! But nothing to give back, because they simply share that knowledge now.

I am SO glad that I am not the only one who's confused by this! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 3, 2013 6:38 pm  #15

SusiGo wrote:

But I still don't see how this explains the "giving back". Whatever the code consists of, be it a sequence  of tunes like a morse code or a binary string of 1 and 0 or something else - as long as it only exists in Sherlock's head he can't give it back. Except of course he dies before passing it on to someone else but Moriarty. Then he wouldn't exactly give it back but delete it from his own hard drive (brain) by destroying this very brain of his. But I don't really think that's what's meant here. 

When I saw this post before logging in, "hard drive" was actually a link to amazon.com. After I logged in, it seemed to be gone.  Something like this happened to me elsewhere on the forum, but I thought it was an isolated incident. Can anyone explain?

Boss & mods, move this to the tech thread, if you want. I didn't know how to do it.

Thanks.

February 3, 2013 9:59 pm  #16

Ooo weird! Was it a blue link?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 19, 2013 8:24 pm  #17

It's a reference to I.O.U isn't it?

February 19, 2013 8:28 pm  #18

@RJB: Maybe I'm afflicted with stupidity -  but I couldn't understand the meaning of any of your posts so far.  (Is it just me?)

Last edited by tobeornot221b (February 19, 2013 8:29 pm)

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 19, 2013 8:30 pm  #19

No, it isn't just you. Maybe you could introduce yourself, RJB, and tell us what you like about Sherlock. 

February 20, 2013 5:57 pm  #20

SusiGo wrote:

tell us what you like about Sherlock. 

I like his ear flaps...

Board footera