BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 29, 2013 3:39 pm  #141

Re: The Fifth Estate -Assange film

Certainly!

October 29, 2013 9:30 pm  #142

Look what's playing round the corner of my Dublin hotel. And guess where I am going to tomorrow. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 29, 2013 9:36 pm  #143

Hopefully, it's not the Gaelic dubbed version, Susi!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 29, 2013 9:39 pm  #144

SusiGo wrote:

Look what's playing round the corner of my Dublin hotel. And guess where I am going to tomorrow. 

Going to see BC in one of my favorite cities in the world.  Jealous.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 29, 2013 10:02 pm  #145

tobeornot221b wrote:

Didn't you know - my Gaelic is perfect. Bhaile Atha Cliath. Slainte. Taoiseach. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 29, 2013 10:06 pm  #146

Seems like you will get along there very well 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 29, 2013 10:14 pm  #147

Just boasting. That is all I know. So I hope it will not be the dubbed version. 

October 29, 2013 10:16 pm  #148

Lady Boast-a-Lot? Nah! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 29, 2013 10:33 pm  #149

Not that bad. 

October 30, 2013 7:33 am  #150

So glad for you that you are going to see the original version! 

October 30, 2013 11:50 am  #151

We had a quite big article in our local newspaper - but now they show it nowhere here - and there are 4 cinemas nearby! Idiots.   

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 30, 2013 2:54 pm  #152

SusiGo wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

Didn't you know - my Gaelic is perfect. Bhaile Atha Cliath. Slainte. Taoiseach. 

I collected gealic words during my last holidays in Ireland....
Got a few now but I'm still wondering how to pronounce them...

The only ones I really know are Dhún na nGall, Céad mile fáilte and
Sláinte. :D

tonnaree: Me tooooooooo!!

October 30, 2013 9:33 pm  #153

FluteLocked wrote:

I collected gealic words during my last holidays in Ireland....
Got a few now but I'm still wondering how to pronounce them...

The only ones I really know are Dhún na nGall, Céad mile fáilte and
Sláinte. :D

I started learning Irish this term It's really difficult but fun as well. As for the pronunciation you can go to www.abair.ie, write a word or a whole phrase and they will read it to you (choose Conamara dialect)

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

October 31, 2013 10:14 am  #154

Thanks for the link, Pav.

So I watched the film yesterday (in English) and here is a short non-spoilerish review: 
It is definitely helpful to know a bit about the story they are telling as the film jumps from one place to another and is quite fast-paced. Many things are just alluded to so it is good to have some basic knowledge of the facts. 
To me the European angle of the story works much better than the American perspective, maybe because the European events and characters are real while the character of Laura Linney and Stanley Tucci are fictitious. 
The film concentrates on the friendship and later break between Julian and Daniel which really gripped me. Their relationship is complex and we see Julian mainly through the eyes of Daniel, fascinated at first, disillusioned at at a later stage. 
But the real thing about the film is of course Benedict. He acts with his whole body, using large gestures and tiny nuances to create Julian's persona. He has some heartbreaking moments and in the next scene you would gladly kick him. He gives away glimpses of his inner life to bind Daniel to himself but even then you never know what is truth and what is not. I could have watched him doing this for much longer than two hours but with him it is always likes this, isn't it?

October 31, 2013 10:40 am  #155

Susi, that sounds great! I can't wait to watch the film today, although it will be the dubbed version... I'll just try to imagine hearing Benedicts real voice.

Maybe we should think about a new thread for everyone who has already seen the film?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 20, 2014 7:45 pm  #156

Just seen it and I love it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 20, 2014 11:42 pm  #157

Just watched it on DVD...I think it's brilliant!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

February 21, 2014 6:40 am  #158

You and I must have watched it at the same time!
I really enjoyed it too and actually cannot understand what people don't like about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 21, 2014 4:42 pm  #159

It made me obsessed with WikiLeaks. xD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 21, 2014 5:48 pm  #160

I've always been interested...and I understand Benedict's puzzlement that Assange is so against the film...I think it's reasonably balanced.

Board footera