BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2013 9:17 am  #101

Re: The Fifth Estate -Assange film

Thanks for that link, Susi, it's great! Those B-Rolls are soooo interesting!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 4, 2013 3:51 pm  #102

Yep, I enjoyed them too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 9, 2013 6:41 pm  #103

Wikileaks has published Assange's first letter to Benedict:

http://wikileaks.org/First-Letter-from-Julian-Assange.html

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 9, 2013 6:58 pm  #104

Not a really nice move, to publish only his letter, but not that of Benedict...

October 9, 2013 7:24 pm  #105

Well, he is a very ambivalent character. Vain, I think. Megalomaniac in a way. He does have a point but I think he tends to see only his own position and creates enemy images. He is described as unpredictable and this may be proof of this. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 9, 2013 9:47 pm  #106

Well, I cannot be cross with him: in fact he is promoting the movie . The more he talks about it, the more the people will be interested to see it, probably.

October 9, 2013 10:05 pm  #107

Regardless of my position as a fangirl, I honestly think he's lucky to have an actor such as BC playing him.  BC is well known for giving his characters an rich inner life and does not  like to play things in black and white. 
Just look at what he did with Kahn.  In lesser hands this would have been an broad cartoon villian but Ben turned in a performance that gave Kahn actual depth and could make us sympathize with his motives if not his methods.

Fifth Estate finally opens here next week and I can't wait to see it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 10, 2013 6:00 pm  #108

Response:

Smaug writes an open letter to Benedict Cumberbatch:

http://celluloidheroes.co.uk/smaug-writes-open-letter-to-benedict-cumberbatch/

Edit: So let me connect these two
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3713

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 10, 2013 6:32 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 10, 2013 6:12 pm  #109

Too awesome for words.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 10, 2013 6:19 pm  #110

I admit I don't know very much about Smaug, but... Ian...?! Oh my...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

October 10, 2013 6:25 pm  #111

October 10, 2013 6:54 pm  #112

I'm not sure if I would call Assange the "biggest a-hole in the world" because of this open letter.
I just don't really follow the reasons he gives in that letter for not meeting with Benedict in person. I don't think that meeting with Benedict would have been a sign to the world that Assange agrees to this film and supports it. Even after such a meeting he could have distanced himself from the project - and for that he could have given the same reasons he gave in that letter.

October 10, 2013 7:07 pm  #113

My thoughts exactly. But then again I don't know enough of the business to evaluate such a kind of meeting.
From my "innocent" point of view a meeting would have been the perfectly right thing to do.

October 10, 2013 7:21 pm  #114

I agree. I don't know what's common in the business in cases like this, either, but then again I guess this one is a pretty special biopic anyway, so probably no 'common' does apply here.
Anyway, IMO meeting with Benedict would not have been more appropriate or inappropriate than writing this letter. Assange always would have had the chance to distance himself from the whole matter afterwards.

October 11, 2013 11:53 am  #115

Just found a short press report by the German news agency dpa about what Benedict said about Assange on the Graham Norton Show. It's in German and I tried to translate it:

Cumberbatch lobt Assange: Demokratie einen großen Dienst erwiesen

London (dpa) - Der britische Schauspieler Benedict Cumberbatch («Sherlock») hält viel von Wikileaks-Gründer Julian Assange, den er in dem neuen Film «The Fith Estate» verkörpert. «Er hat der Demokratie einen großen Dienst erwiesen», sagte Cumberbatch in der Aufzeichnung für die «Graham Norton Show», eine Talkshow, die am Freitagabend in der BBC ausgestrahlt werden sollte. «Er hat Fragen aufgeworfen über den Status Quo, über die Kraft von Gesetzen und über Machtstrukturen, die korrupt sind und die angesprochen werden müssen», sagte Cumberbatch.

Cumberbatch lauds Assange: Rendered great service to democracy

London (dpa) - The British actor Benedict Cumberbatch («Sherlock»)
thinks a great deal of Wikileaks-founder Julian Assange, whom he portrays in the new movie «The Fifth Estate». «He rendered a great service to democracy», said Cumberbatch during the recording of the «Graham Norton Show», a talk show that is to be airing on BBC on Friday evening. «He brought up questions about the status quo, about the power of law and about power structures that are corrupt and need to be adressed», said Cumberbatch.

October 11, 2013 9:10 pm  #116

Just saw a trailer on TV! *dances*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 14, 2013 6:14 am  #117

The Guardian posted a longish video review on "The Fifth Estate" on Friday. Quite interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2013/oct/11/guardian-film-show-the-fifth-estate-tim-hetherington-le-week-end

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

October 16, 2013 12:39 am  #118

So, I saw The Fith Estate today and I have to say I understand why the reviews are mixed. You just can't really feel for or connect with any of the characters, which is something that is important to me. The film is mostly a whole bunch of information thrown at you with a few bits and pieces of something that was possibly intended to be something like a storyline. The directing is good, some choices very interesting and the performances are also very good, although they could have let German people speak German while in Germany surrounded only by other German speaking people^^ Benedicts performance is, of course, also wonderful, but the writing is just too bad. It seemed like the makers of the film simply did not know where they wanted to take it or what they wanted to do with the material they had.

Last edited by mara (October 16, 2013 12:44 am)

October 21, 2013 4:07 pm  #119

I have to say I really really enjoyed the movie! I've seen it twice now and will be going again shortly. Not just because of Benedict, of course, but I've been following these stories on the news and have been interested in Assange and WikiLeaks for quite a while now. I've always supported him and from that point of view I can totally see why he doesn't like the movie (or the script, seeing as he can't actually just pop out to the cinema to see it). It focuses far too much on the personal side of things, going into random details about things that aren't really neccessary or important to the story. I think he would have preferred it if they'd just stuck to the facts and told the story of WikiLeaks rather than tried to tell the story of him. All that stuff with his family history and his father etc. Not to mention the fact that he DOESN'T dye his hair That was all just complete...well...bullshit, to be honest.

I realise I'm now making it sound like I DON'T like the movie, when in fact I do. I'm just running through the aspects I didn't like about it first to get all that off my chest because it annoys me. I was quite sceptical about seeing it in the first place because I knew what Assange's opinion is and the whole history of it including the two books its based on. I was concerned that it would make Assange out to be a complete arsehole and I think, if it had been in anyone's hands except Benedict's, it probably would have done.

His performance was just...incredible, and I was with Assange the whole way through, especially when his so called friends turned on him and brought down the upload site so no one could send in any more leaks. I actually almost cried. I just felt so sorry for him and to me, it just made Daniel seem like a complete cock. I don't know if you were supposed to be on Daniel's side or not, but I totally wasn't. I was with Julian the whole time despite the script, despite the lies, despite the slander, and I honestly believe it's Benedict that's done that. He's actually done a great service to Assange and to his cause because anyone who's intelligent enough will see this movie and not change their opinions about the good that WikiLeaks is doing.

Wow, sorry for getting slightly political but hard not to with a film like this. Also, the part at the end when he's talking to the camera and actually referencing the film itself, that just completely blew my mind, it was like inception. My head was hurting. I was like..."oh my God, I don't even know who Julian Assange is anymore...is he Benedict Cumberbatch?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 21, 2013 5:41 pm  #120

Hi Sherlock, thank you so much for the review, I was waiting for a honest opinion from a fan . Going to see it on Friday with my cumberbatched friend, in Poland it is released 25th and of course will ad my 2 cents.

Board footera