BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2013 6:17 pm  #61

Re: The Fifth Estate -Assange film

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 30, 2013 6:58 pm  #62

I don't know... to me it seems indentical to the previous one...  Oh, I wish they were less avaricious with promotion!

August 30, 2013 8:26 pm  #63

Yeah, it's slightly longer than the first one. I'm still not sure, what to think about the movie, but I suppose I'm going to watch it anyway. Not only because of Ben (he looks dreadful with this hairstyle ), but also  because I like Daniel Brühl very much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 2, 2013 8:06 pm  #64

stoertebeker wrote:

Yeah, it's slightly longer than the first one. I'm still not sure, what to think about the movie, but I suppose I'm going to watch it anyway. Not only because of Ben (he looks dreadful with this hairstyle ), but also  because I like Daniel Brühl very much.

Yes, and I think the casting of Daniel Brühl was very smart. Not only because he's a good actor and a german playing a german, but his looks resembles Domscheit-Berg quite good, don't you think?

In my life I have found two things of priceless worth - learning and loving. Nothing else - not fame, not power, not achievement for its own sake - can possible have the same lasting value. For when your life is over, if you can say 'I have learned' and 'I have loved', you will also be able to say 'I have been happy'.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

September 3, 2013 8:41 pm  #65

Yes, definitively. But he was not first choice, he only got the part because James McAvoy, who was originaly casted for the role of Domscheit-Berg dropped out. But I agree with you, Daniel Brühl fits much better!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

September 6, 2013 7:27 am  #66

Here is a small feature with statements by Benedict and the director Bill Condon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPNfpA6Ra88

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 6, 2013 9:18 am  #67

SusiGo wrote:

Here is a small feature with statements by Benedict and the director Bill Condon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPNfpA6Ra88

Aahh, can't wait to see this movie! It looks more and more interesting, not just because of Benedict. Seems to be a movie with lots of great actors, Stanley Tucci, Laura Linney...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 6, 2013 12:00 pm  #68

Article in Entertainment Weekly today.

Toronto: 'The Fifth Estate' Oscar chances spring leak after critical jabs.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/09/06/toronto-the-fifth-estate-oscar-chances-spring-leak-after-critical-jabs/

But even those panning the film give kudos to Ben's performance.

"There was praise for Benedict Cumberbatch’s incarnation of the white-haired cyber-guru — who is a hero to some, and an instigator of chaos to others. And the film got an extended standing ovation at the premiere, but early reviews were generally harsh, which could sap its Oscar hopes."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 6, 2013 12:59 pm  #69

The reviews are quite mixed so far but the praise for Benedict's performance is quite unanimous. But it would be sad for him if the film did not take off, no matter what they say about his own work. 

September 6, 2013 3:18 pm  #70

*fingers crossed*

I've always considered a review just an opinon.  An educated opinion perhaps, but an opinion none the less.

Rarely do reviews stop me from seeing something I'm interested in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 6, 2013 9:59 pm  #71

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 7, 2013 5:47 am  #72

Just saw this, thought it might be of interest  (have't really read it in detail, due to limited time right now, seems more like bits from yesterday's press conference neatly squashed into an article):

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/sep/06/benedict-cumberbatch-defence-julian-assange

And yesterday's review (mixed feelings concerning the film in general, praise for Benedict's interpretation of Assange)

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/06/fifth-estate-review

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

September 7, 2013 6:34 am  #73

Mixed reviews, as you say, but I am still keen to see this film, whatever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 7, 2013 7:48 am  #74

Davina wrote:

Mixed reviews, as you say, but I am still keen to see this film, whatever.

Absolutely. I have no doubts it is a difficult issue to tackle in a film, you'll probably never get everything right und won't be able to satisfy everyone - just because the whole Wikileaks thing is so complicated. You have to keep it interesting and, even better and probably more difficult, suspenseful. And at the same time you have to stay as true to the whole thing as possible.

I hope the movie will a) 'enlighten' me a bit more on the whole subject, b) entertain me at the same time, c) not simplify too much and not be too Hollywood-like, if you know what I mean.
At the same time I have to say that I'm trying not to have too high hopes. In one of the links that were posted here yesterday the author compared the film to some political, New Hollywood movies from the 70s like "All the President's Men" or "Three Days of the Condor" (I absolutely love those)... hm, I rather doubt that "The Fifth Estate" will be that good.

Last edited by SolarSystem (September 7, 2013 7:49 am)

September 8, 2013 9:52 am  #75

The Press Conference at the TIFF (haven't watched it yet, so see and hear for yourselves ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWEJ552DCJU

September 11, 2013 6:16 pm  #76

Yes, I know, I know, the show sucks, but - just found a little bit of Ben on German tv (start 0:02:07):

http://www.voxnow.de//prominent/daniel-bruehl-megastar-bei-den-filmfestspielen.php?container_id=136765&player=1&season=0

Last edited by Mattlocked (September 11, 2013 6:16 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 11, 2013 6:58 pm  #77

Well done, sniffer dog...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 11, 2013 7:57 pm  #78

I find him EVERYwhere! 

September 11, 2013 8:02 pm  #79

September 11, 2013 8:09 pm  #80

Good night. 

Board footera