BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 25, 2013 8:05 am  #941

Re: The game is on again (OFFICIAL NEWS ONLY PLEASE)

besleybean wrote:

For me the most pertinent part of Ian's wonderful piece, was the implication that if you actually fall for the Johnlock thing(as potential for the show) you are missing the whole point of Sherlock. 
The Holmes/Watson friendship is the major part of The Canon and should be for any adaptation.

I also see it that way. Of course there is ambiguity and fun with hints and jokes about their "relationship" and the writers play with it. And probably will do in the future. But there is much more:

Mofftis stay true to canon and IMO see them as complimentary figures. John is portayed as a man of moral principles. Sherlock thinks that he can do what he can do if it is for the right purpose. John is the ordinary man and Sherlock does things unconventionally. John is the medical man and Sherlock walks on the edge of  Asperger's and tries hard (in public) to control himself to not obviously be freakish. John is sometimes too emotionally involved and obviously influenced by his interest in physical intimacy. Sherlock is (at least at the surface) emotionally detached and not intererested in any kind of sexual activities. These differences define them and their developing friendship.

In the original stories Doyle often refers to literature and philosophical questions. He was interested in the search for knowledge and its limits.

April 25, 2013 8:47 am  #942

I think it's really sad when so-called fans can't distinguish any longer between fiction and reality. I like reading Johnlock fics and I think their friendship is very special but posting death threats to Amanda because of a part she's playing is frankly ridiculous and immature. Steven Moffat left Twitter for similar reasons. It's disappointing how some people behave. We all know that in the most important aspects Moftiss have always been true to Canon so it's no surprise that the wedding cropped up. And being true to Canon there will be an end to the marriage as well. The series is such a wonderful creating and it's sad that it should provoke any sort of hatred towards the makers or actors/actresses. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 25, 2013 9:03 am  #943

Amanda said on twitter that she is now the devil's own spawn. That sounds really awful.

It's canon and we knew is could happen. Why can't people differentiate between reality and fiction?
If she is Mary she can be a fantastic one. People should give her a chance.

If people really liked Martin they wouldn't behave like that towards Amanda.
If Sherlock really liked/loved John he wouldn't insult Mary because he would recognize his love and respect his choice.  

April 25, 2013 9:37 am  #944

The people who post death threats and the like are not just immature they are: abnormal, unbalanced and weird. These are the sorts of people who become stalkers. They are prepared to post things like this through the buffer of the Internet, when quite probably they would never do so face-to-face. These are, in my opinion, in the main sick people who have a lack of moral compass.

Rant over!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 25, 2013 9:48 am  #945

I'm also sad to hear about the threats against Amanda. But honestly... apparently the Sherlock fandom is more furious than Amanda herself. Have a look on tumblr - you can't stalk the Amanda Abbington tag without being overflooded by all those "Amanda is great; stop threatening her!" entries. It's annoying at a point. We all know now. Fortunately, people who post death threats are in clear minority in the fandom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 25, 2013 10:10 am  #946

sorry could someone explain what is going on? People in the Sherlock fandom are handing out death threats? Why on earth would they be doing this in the context of what is clearly a tv show? Sorry to be behind but I'm too old for twitter ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 25, 2013 10:42 am  #947

There was something similar before and that's why she left twitter.
Now she's back - and is getting threats? Great, really. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 25, 2013 11:44 am  #948

Seriously? Now I know I'm glad I've never been on Twitter. That's bull. It's fun to have a fantasy, but people are taking it way way too far. They need to get a life.

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

April 25, 2013 12:00 pm  #949

crazybbcamerican wrote:

Seriously? Now I know I'm glad I've never been on Twitter. That's bull. It's fun to have a fantasy, but people are taking it way way too far. They need to get a life.

It's that... furthermore she wasn't saying anything against Johnlock shippers. It was just a misunderstanding. She was just saying that she thinks it's funny "how worked up people get about it."  I have no idea how people can spot an insult there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 25, 2013 3:22 pm  #950

You know, though, of anybody, she probably has the biggest right to actually have an attitude about it, lol! I think all the actors/actresses have been amazingly awesome about all the fan-stuff, really. I appreciate that very much and I hope others do, too.

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

April 25, 2013 3:45 pm  #951

I certainly do. Which is why I can sometimes be a bit defensive of both the show and the actors, writers etc.
But fair's fair.  I will also criticise, when I feel the need to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 25, 2013 8:17 pm  #952

Most of the fans really love Amanda and her extremely cute relationship with Martin, and I think everything will calm down once the show starts and everyone sees what a great job she's doing. Fans in general are very fickle. They will love you one minute and hate you the next...and vice versa.

"The press will turn, Sherlock. They always turn. And they'll turn on you.."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 25, 2013 8:26 pm  #953

I've learned not to be like that...but maybe that's cos I'm an old and jaded bag now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 26, 2013 2:01 am  #954

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Most of the fans really love Amanda and her extremely cute relationship with Martin, and I think everything will calm down once the show starts and everyone sees what a great job she's doing. Fans in general are very fickle. They will love you one minute and hate you the next...and vice versa.

"The press will turn, Sherlock. They always turn. And they'll turn on you.."

Sheesh.... seriously, people.  Irritates/saddens me on their behalf, too, kind of unsurprised yet 'wth' at hearing that kind of thing going on again.  I mean, what's wrong with you if, however passionately you love something, it's okay to channel that into hate or think you own it?  I've gotten frustrated with choices 'my' shows have made, but never act on it like that.  This or that actor simply got hired to do a job, not ruin your life.  And to target the partner of an actor you profess to love......      
(Ha...  perfect quote, btw.    thankfully, the majority of the fandom, shippers or not, seem awesome, and you'll always have a handful like that in a group.... I'm just staying away from spoilers and drama best I can, and trusting my favorite people to have a brilliant episode in mind for us!  )

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 26, 2013 9:47 pm  #955

Well, I must admit I've looked for all the spoiler information I can get. Being in the USA, I know I won't get to see the new episodes until long after all of you, and this is my way of (sort of) keeping ahead of the game. And I haven't been disappointed...

Besides, I just couldn't help myself.

(Can't wait to read the reactions when everyone sees Sherlock in his McDonald's uniform.)

JK.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

April 26, 2013 9:51 pm  #956

April 26, 2013 10:03 pm  #957

Sounds great. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 26, 2013 10:04 pm  #958

McDuniform? isn´t it a spoiler?! what?!! oh no. don´t tell me. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

April 29, 2013 8:57 pm  #959

I guess if tweets are by Amanda, Colm and Alistair Petrie they are official, right?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 29, 2013 9:06 pm  #960

Davina wrote:

I guess if tweets are by Amanda, Colm and Alistair Petrie they are official, right?

I think so as long as they aren't too spoilerish.
And besides we could mark certain threads with a (spoiler) warning if necessary like you did with the Johnlock fanfic thread. 

Board footera