BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2013 10:03 am  #601

Re: The game is on again (OFFICIAL NEWS ONLY PLEASE)

It's virtually unheard of. I'm not sure if there's ever been anyone else who's lived so long with it. 

Last edited by Sparrow (March 22, 2013 10:03 am)

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 22, 2013 9:50 pm  #602

Personally I think those episodes in the film are Hawking experimenting to see how long he can hold his breath, no mor or less. He knows, because he doctor talks him that his condition will eventually paralyse his breathing therefore, as a good scientist, he experiments to see what it is actually like not to be able to breathe. He is seeing what it feels like.

Last edited by Davina (March 23, 2013 7:51 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 22, 2013 10:10 pm  #603

I agree with you, Davina.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 23, 2013 6:00 am  #604

Davina wrote:

Personally I think those episodes in the film are Awking experimenting to see how long he can hold his breath, no mor or less. He knows, because he doctor talks him that his condition will eventually para
Yes his reaching therefore, as a good scientist, he experiments to see what it is actually like not to be able to breathe. He is seeing what it feels like.

Everybody knows what it feels not to breathe and you don't need to time yourself underwater for that. Back in the day when my dad trained me for swimming, I used to do that sort of exercise all the time. It helped expand my pulmonary capacity, training my respiratory muscles so I had a much grater intake of air than normal, I could hold it in place for over a minute and then exhale more than the normal volume of air. That requires strong muscles. Yes, he was told his muscles would atrophy, including his respiratory muscles, eventually. So I think he was training them. A muscle that is well trained does not atrophy as quickly as one that isn't as well trained.

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 23, 2013 4:41 pm  #605

ooo...a teaser from Mark´s twitter!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

March 23, 2013 4:46 pm  #606

It's a trap! It must be! OMG............... *thud*

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 23, 2013 4:51 pm  #607

I think it is perfectly save to say that Mark Gatiss knows the fandom very well. He plays it like a genius.

March 23, 2013 4:55 pm  #608

He also appreciates beauty.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 23, 2013 4:56 pm  #609

I know I'm a bit late for this, I've been very buisy the last two weeks or so, but I just wanted to say something about the bathtub as well:

A couple of years ago I watched a theatre play of "The hounds of baskerville". And the opening scene was Sherlock and John (or Holmes and Watson) being in a bathtub together. I think the actors were completly naked but playing so well that we didn't see anything when they left the tube and got dressed just like Irena Adler in SiB.
I think the play enden with Holmes ordering Watson to prepare the bath, at least that's what my father says, I can't remember. When I showed him the first episode of Sherlock he was disappointed because it didn't end like this. He thought it was a running joke it the ACD works. I don't know because I never read them. Does anybody knows if that's true?
Anyway I just thought this fitted the "discussion" on the bathtub quite well ;)

March 23, 2013 5:07 pm  #610

In ACD there's no intimate relationship between Holmes and Watson but there are a lot of fanfics about this. Some of them are really excellent if you like this sort of stuff. Maybe they got their inspiration from there. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 23, 2013 5:08 pm  #611

Altho I would love it, I really cannot see BBC Sherlock going down this route.  God I would have love to have seen that play and Myrarya, your dad sounds fab!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 23, 2013 5:25 pm  #612

It actually wasn't like they were gay, maybe they just didn't want to wast the water^^ I don't know. But it was very funny.
The play is actually still being shown but I fear it's in German in a small but extremely awesome theatre in Berlin, sorry besley.

March 23, 2013 5:25 pm  #613

Not sure I'm certain of this.Watson appeard to be straight, the ladies man.
I really think of Holmes as asexual, possibly gay....but then Benedict thinks he was attracted to Irene, so I don't know...everybody was aware of the stupid restrictions.

EDIT:  I dearly hope to get to Berlin one day and my school girl German would cope with a visually good play!

Last edited by besleybean (March 23, 2013 5:30 pm)

March 23, 2013 5:27 pm  #614

Be wrote:

Some people think that there is underlying subtext in ACD Sherlock Holmes about a homoerotic relationship. I have read an analysis about it (can't find it right now).

http://nekosmuse.com/sherlockholmes/subtext.htm

I've got this one from Susi. Interesting!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 23, 2013 5:37 pm  #615

never had thought about any notice of a gay matter in ACD. neither subtext. and personally I don´t like any fanfic with this theme. so I´m creeping off to another thread 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

March 23, 2013 5:50 pm  #616

Schmiezi wrote:

Be wrote:

Some people think that there is underlying subtext in ACD Sherlock Holmes about a homoerotic relationship. I have read an analysis about it (can't find it right now).

http://nekosmuse.com/sherlockholmes/subtext.htm

I've got this one from Susi. Interesting!

That's it.
I personally don't share the author's opinion. Though sometimes I am not quite sure. I am not an expert in victorian literature. And today's casual reader might go wrong. Everybody is allowed to come to his own conclusion. 

March 23, 2013 6:55 pm  #617

I have to think of Loriot all the time (German comedy). "Herren im Bad".

Last edited by QuiteExtraordinary (March 23, 2013 6:56 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

March 23, 2013 9:59 pm  #618

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

I have to think of Loriot all the time (German comedy). "Herren im Bad".

Very good ! It might actually have been a bit similar.

March 23, 2013 10:26 pm  #619

So who is who?

and dubbed. English version:

Last edited by Mattlocked (March 23, 2013 10:29 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 23, 2013 10:30 pm  #620

Sherlock's the one with the bathing cap. He surely would pretend to like sitting in an empty bathtube instead of admittng that something is wrong...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera