BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2013 7:47 am  #461

Re: The game is on again (OFFICIAL NEWS ONLY PLEASE)

Russell wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

To me, that indicates that John's suffering hasn't taken the three full (canon) years.

Yeah, I think that's probably true, because if you think about it...if they went with the traditional three years, they would have to set it in the future...which seems like an unlikely thing for them to do.

So maybe the period that John has been without Sherlock, is pretty much roughly the same period we've been without Sherlock.

So you mean they had that long wait on purpose, just to keep it helpfully 'aligned' with the show that way.

(hee.... kidding asides, I totally agree with all the comments previously made that a modern-day Holmes wouldn't 'need' three years like the canon one did, not to mention keeping it aligned with 'real time', not to mention the untouched flat, even if John needed time away, that they came back sooner rather than later before Mrs. Hudson finally did something)

Mmm... makes ya wonder about the 'untouched-ness', though too... poor John, either staying away, or making enough as a doctor to stay on and just living there with everything left as it was? No doubt enabled by his dear friend landlady...

Or Mycroft paying Sherlock's half of the rent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 16, 2013 9:08 am  #462

SusiGo wrote:

sue vertue ‏@suevertue
Baker Street awaits.

Feels like coming home. 

Two days left!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 16, 2013 9:14 am  #463

It's such a  beautiful set, the craftsmen must be so pleased with their work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 16, 2013 9:44 am  #464

SusiGo wrote:

sue vertue ‏@suevertue
Baker Street awaits.

Right now I'm feeling like sitting down diagonally in Sherlock's chair and hugging the backrest cushion...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 16, 2013 10:02 am  #465

Looks like the flat hasn't changed much. Can we then expect that series 3 doesn't take place three years after the fall? I would like to think so.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 16, 2013 11:50 am  #466

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Russell wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yeah, I think that's probably true, because if you think about it...if they went with the traditional three years, they would have to set it in the future...which seems like an unlikely thing for them to do.

So maybe the period that John has been without Sherlock, is pretty much roughly the same period we've been without Sherlock.

So you mean they had that long wait on purpose, just to keep it helpfully 'aligned' with the show that way.

(hee.... kidding asides, I totally agree with all the comments previously made that a modern-day Holmes wouldn't 'need' three years like the canon one did, not to mention keeping it aligned with 'real time', not to mention the untouched flat, even if John needed time away, that they came back sooner rather than later before Mrs. Hudson finally did something)

Mmm... makes ya wonder about the 'untouched-ness', though too... poor John, either staying away, or making enough as a doctor to stay on and just living there with everything left as it was? No doubt enabled by his dear friend landlady...

Or Mycroft paying Sherlock's half of the rent.

Hee...  I was gonna add something about that, but the idea still seems amusingly uncertain... I mean, this is Mycroft... so arranging it/telling John in a way where it implies guilt and helping him out (probably an easy story to swallow after recent part in events)?  Or John being suspicious that he's doing so and 'why would he be helping me, hm... unless he knows something he's not telling'.  ;)  That's what I might've wondered, if him, anyway.  Oh, or unless it's a two-part thing deflecting it towards himself... 'I'll help pay to keep you there so I don't have to put Sherlock's stuff in storage, until further notice when we figure something out'.  ;)  ;)   Crafty boys.... heh... but not to think about it too much, at all....   just can't wait to see how they tweak everything together....   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 16, 2013 1:07 pm  #467

Tho John has said he doesn't want to return to the flat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 16, 2013 1:49 pm  #468

besleybean wrote:

Tho John has said he doesn't want to return to the flat.

All will be revealed in time.

Even though John said in 2.3 that he couldn't go back to the flat right then, perhaps when we see 3.1, we'll find out that he had to go back, for whatever reasons (financial, for one, especially if he could live there more cheaply than anywhere else, or perhaps just because it felt like "home", etc)

Or maybe we'll find that Mrs. H kept the place exactly as they'd left it, and then after the S/J reunion, they can go back there and resume their lives/life.

Ah, so much anticipation!

March 16, 2013 7:29 pm  #469

My theory is that the set they're building now will not be the one they'll use for the first scenes immediately after Sherlock's return. I think it would be unrealistic to leave it exactly the way it was, except if Sherlock had been gone only for a very short time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

March 16, 2013 7:59 pm  #470

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

My theory is that the set they're building now will not be the one they'll use for the first scenes immediately after Sherlock's return. I think it would be unrealistic to leave it exactly the way it was, except if Sherlock had been gone only for a very short time.

agreed.    But they also may need to keep the flat as it was,   if they plan to film any "flashbacks"  for the viewer,  as they explain what events have been happening since we've been away.   

March 17, 2013 10:11 am  #471

Unless John really hasn't been back since it happened....

So John moves out, Mycroft continues paying the rent because he knows Sherlock will be coming back sometime. Mrs Hudson is informed not to rent it out to anyone else and seeing as she's still getting the rent payments in on time she doesn't complain.

So therefore everything IS still like it was before Sherlock left....because it's basically not been touched.

However they play it, I don't think the time gap will be the traditional three years because that would mean they'd have to set the series in the future.

March 17, 2013 10:16 am  #472

Oh did you know.... they're starting tomorrow 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 17, 2013 10:29 am  #473

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 17, 2013 10:37 am  #474

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

So therefore everything IS still like it was before Sherlock left....because it's basically not been touched.

...except that Mrs Hudson would do the lino every Tuesday and be stepping on the furniture to do the dusting.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 17, 2013 4:30 pm  #475

tobeornot221b wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

...except that Mrs Hudson would do the lino every Tuesday and be stepping on the furniture to do the dusting.

Oh yes, the eloquant dust will be different of course!

March 17, 2013 9:22 pm  #476

OMG!!!

Mark Gatiss ‏@Markgatiss
To Cardiff! #Sherlock

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 17, 2013 9:53 pm  #477

Just read it on Twitter. So I think we'll be undisturbed in N.Gower Street next weekend.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 17, 2013 10:02 pm  #478

Fine. Just imagine we would have stumbled upon Benedict or Martin … 

March 17, 2013 10:10 pm  #479

Oh darn!  You just crushed my hopes and dreams. . Guess I'll just have to be happy standing on hallowed ground. Tobe, how fast can we get to Cardiff and back? 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

March 17, 2013 10:19 pm  #480

How do you know it takes longer than a week? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera