BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2013 4:59 pm  #1

That hat

Please tell me if I'm wrong:
Sherlock Holmes does not wear a deerstalker in any of the original canon stories, does he? If so, which one?

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

January 25, 2013 5:15 pm  #2

Re: That hat

Yes, he does; „an ear flapped traveling cap“ is mentioned in "The Adventure of the Silver Blaze" - but only there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 25, 2013 5:58 pm  #3

Cool! Thank you :D

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

January 27, 2013 11:01 am  #4

Sidney Paget the illustrator interpreted this description as a deerstalker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 28, 2013 2:26 am  #5

I think it's a joke by the creators that Sherlock repeatedly emphasizes it's not his hat, since in the canon he didn't have a deerstalker or a pipe like he did in the movie adaptations as part of his regular attire. The pipe was introduced to hide the large nose of one of the actors who played Sherlock. He never wore an inverness cape either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

Board footera