BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2013 8:09 pm  #1

Stand-up Recommendations

Anybody got some good stand-up comics to recommend?

Preferably not ones that swear their heads off all the time (I guess all comics do but at least some of them try to tone it down). My favourite is Adam Hills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcv8tXZKrqk 

January 25, 2013 4:27 am  #2

Re: Stand-up Recommendations

Hey!   Interesting question.  Just looking for some amusing new performers, huh?  Well, I'm not much help, with only a small passing knowledge of a handful of comics I've seen highlighted here and there, mostly due to being famously popular (although I always thought George Carlin was pretty funny).  But.  I just had to throw Jeff Dunham's name in the list, if someone was bringing up stand-ups, cuz he's awesome.  Came across him by chance some time back on you tube (or maybe your library/netflix has duds), and while some of it may be a bit of 'adult humor', it's never R-rated, or tons of swearing.  Just a really funny guy.  With his 'puppets'.  Not sure what kind of stuff Hills covers, and I know Jeff's kind of act might not be for everyone, with not being "purely" stand-up (if that's the best way to say it) or some subject matter but still good.  Hilarious how he and his puppets each have their own voice, break the fourth wall, make fun of each other, and in general, goofy.
Here's one of my favorite/best clips of him with the funniest puppet of his entourage, for an example:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQm_8vX3sYU

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 1, 2013 3:40 pm  #3

Re: Stand-up Recommendations

Dylan Moran
Gabriel Iglesias
Carl Barron
Arj Barker
Demetri Martin

Some musical acts:
Axis of Awesome
Sammy J and Randy

Just YouTube search 'Melbourne Comedy Festival', 'Just for Laughs' etc. You'll find heaps of comedians, stand up and others, that way.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

Board footera