BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2013 6:01 pm  #41

Re: Who would suit Sherlock in a relationship?

D.

No discussion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

July 24, 2013 6:03 pm  #42

But since I find out that D. wasn't an option and that the guy above me made that one up, I'll have to choose between the three. In that case, it could only be 'The Woman'.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 26, 2013 11:20 am  #43

Which woman? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 26, 2013 11:52 am  #44

'The Woman' Irene Adler.

July 26, 2013 12:29 pm  #45

You really can't deny the chemistry between Irene and Sherlock. I know a romantic relationship in the truest sense of the word wouldn't really work out but I ship them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 26, 2013 9:37 pm  #46

The woman woman? Lol!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2013 10:33 pm  #47

I personally don't want a relationship with John and Sherlock where it is super intense or anything. I think they should have a mild one. Also my mom probably wouldn't let me watch it if it was really intense. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

August 1, 2013 11:14 am  #48

I think it will never happen in the show. Fans can do with that what they want, of course, that's a different world after all!
I can't see anyone in a relationship with Sherlock... I mean Sherlock being in love with someone. Even Irene. His cases are his love :]

The Road goes ever on and on...

August 16, 2013 7:05 pm  #49

KeepersPrice wrote:

Seriously, I think it has to be John.  Sherlock is already very comfortable with him and knows how to live under the same roof with him. He can be horribly selfish and rude, which John more or less puts up with, but at other times he can be caring of John in his own weird way. Basically, they are already in a relationship. It's interesting, the word "platonic" has come to mean an intimate relationship characterized by the absense of sexual involvement. But the word is based, of course, on Plato and his philosophy of the ideal forms. So, platonic love or a platonic relationship would be considered the ideal or perfect form of a relationship - so perfect and pure that it rises above the carnal.  Now, neither John or Sherlock are perfect, but the form their relationship takes just might be.  It certainly seems to working for them.
Funny, in all the other charaterizations of Holmes and Watson that I've seen - from canon on, I've never pictured the two characters "together" as a couple until the BBC version.  (Think Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce (oh lord). But there's something about these two actors and their portrayal of the characters that whispers "Johnlock" in my head and I don't cringe. When I tuned into the show when it first aired I never expected anything like that. I was in it for the adventure.  Now I'm in it for the relationship and the adventure.

What KeepersPrice said 

August 16, 2013 8:19 pm  #50

Punch me in the face wrote:

So we've got John. John is loyal, Sherlock trusts him, he doesn't let himself be intimated by Sherlock and would always tell Sherlock what he thinks, even if that ends up with Sherlock being upset, he wouldn't hesitate to risk his life for Sherlock, he always follows him even when it's dangerous, sure he's not as clever as Sherlock nor Irene, but he's still very clever and he's got the intelligence of the heart, he's got enough self-confidence not to be too upset when Sherlock keeps on calling him an idiot for example, he is calm and poised which counterbalances Sherlock's exuberance, despite their little "fights", they get on well , they live together and are comfortable with each other, John makes Sherlock laugh and vice versa, he admires Sherlock and believes in him: Sherlock may say he couldn't care less about people's opinion, he truly needs that. Someone who likes him for who is, I'd even say: despite who he is. I think even Mycroft thinks high of John. And I think Sherlock is dependent on John even more than John is on him...

To me, John is the missing piece of puzzle in Sherlock's life.

Yes, he is!  

August 16, 2013 10:19 pm  #51

Relationship is not friendship. Friendship lasts forever and is constantly there.
To have a relationship, you have to fall in love with somebody, not love them.
Sherlock loves John but he is not in love with him and he will never be. Let's be realistic.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 16, 2013 11:02 pm  #52

Mary Me wrote:

Relationship is not friendship. Friendship lasts forever and is constantly there.
Sherlock loves John but he is not in love with him and he will never be. Let's be realistic.

I don't know- personally, I married my best friend.  And he's still my best friend Not sure how much difference there is for me...my children are a different kind of love altogether.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 17, 2013 3:20 pm  #53

sj4iy wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

I don't know- personally, I married my best friend.  And he's still my best friend Not sure how much difference there is for me...my children are a different kind of love altogether.

That is interesting. For me there's a clear difference between friendship and romantic relationships.
I know how it feels like to be in love - when your heart skips a beat everytime you see that person and how terrible and unbearable it is when that person is not by your side. It's something beautiful, yet horrible.
I love my best friend and we want to live together when we both are studying and/or have jobs but I know that I will never be in love with her and that's for a good reason. Our duties would change.
So I don't really think that Sherlock and John could ever feel more than the love that friendship embraces for each other. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 17, 2013 4:27 pm  #54

Mrs. Watson wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Seriously, I think it has to be John.  Sherlock is already very comfortable with him and knows how to live under the same roof with him. He can be horribly selfish and rude, which John more or less puts up with, but at other times he can be caring of John in his own weird way. Basically, they are already in a relationship. It's interesting, the word "platonic" has come to mean an intimate relationship characterized by the absense of sexual involvement. But the word is based, of course, on Plato and his philosophy of the ideal forms. So, platonic love or a platonic relationship would be considered the ideal or perfect form of a relationship - so perfect and pure that it rises above the carnal.  Now, neither John or Sherlock are perfect, but the form their relationship takes just might be.  It certainly seems to working for them.
Funny, in all the other charaterizations of Holmes and Watson that I've seen - from canon on, I've never pictured the two characters "together" as a couple until the BBC version.  (Think Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce (oh lord). But there's something about these two actors and their portrayal of the characters that whispers "Johnlock" in my head and I don't cringe. When I tuned into the show when it first aired I never expected anything like that. I was in it for the adventure.  Now I'm in it for the relationship and the adventure.

What KeepersPrice said 

-------------------------------------------------------

August 17, 2013 6:25 pm  #55

SilverMoonDragonB wrote:

Mrs. Watson wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

What KeepersPrice said 

Just because they like each other and they can live together does not mean they're ready for / already in a relationship, imo. I agree that Johnlock, though, is great fan fiction stuff and the like.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

October 14, 2013 2:06 am  #56

I think he would fare well with an Oxford educated psychologist who part-times as a dungeon mistress with a penchant for light reading about surgical procedures. 

The mistress lady from CSI comes to mind. She is the only match I can think of for SH.

David Thomas
SunPharm
Assoc. VP

January 5, 2014 6:41 am  #57

Lestrade. Longer history, more even power dynamic. 

January 5, 2014 10:40 am  #58

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Lestrade. Longer history, more even power dynamic. 

What.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 10, 2014 12:30 am  #59

Maybe this is a selfish opinion, I would like to see Sherlock keep his loneliness.
The reason why I hold this opinion is that as far as I can see, someone with a great talent like Sherlock their god-send gift has always isolated them from others normal people. This is both a gift and a curse. They have to be lonely to keep their talent, their specialty. Happiness always ruin them.
Happiness or "OMG", that's a question.

Sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side.
-SH
You need me, or you are nothing.
-JM
James Moriarty isn't a man at all. He's a spider. A spider at the center of a web. A criminal web with a thousand threads and he knows precisely how each and every single one of them dances.
-SH

January 10, 2014 5:59 am  #60

I like the idea of him being aesexual. I mean, he can flirt, and whatever.  But I don't see him really getting hooked.  I don't think he would let anything like that happen to him.  It's too much of a "trap" for him.  He likes to be the center of attention.  So he might,I repeat,MIGHT get initally snagged into enjoying a person fawning over him...but after a while he'd get bored of them. Not the attention, but the person giving it.  Because in a relationship you have to GIVE attention as well.  I think the John thing works out nicely because what mainly happens between them is John attends to Sherlock's needs.  John is the Gardener, and Sherlock is the flower.  I don't see Irene doing that.  I can see Molly doing that.....but she'd become too borring to keep his interest.  

Besides...Nothing seems quite so delicious as forbiden fruit.

Last edited by VaticanCameoBrooch (January 10, 2014 5:59 am)

Board footera