BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2013 2:54 pm  #1

Who would suit Sherlock in a relationship?

Now I know this seems very obvious, and narrowed down to two people, John and Irene, However taking sexuality out of it, who would be Sherlocks best match.

John: an obvious case, loyal, understanding and trustworthy, as well as they bounce off each other, but some people can be too close, can't they?

Irene: Sherlock's first and only human 'Love/Crush' They would make a great pair, but would there be too much friction, and are they both to involved with their work.

Moriaty: Wouldn't that be a perfect couple, Scowl at each other, hatred through their bodies, arguement after arguement, and no sex... It's like they are already married right?

These are just three of possible, it will be interesting to hear peoples opinions, remember taking sexuality out of it, and going on only charateristics and personality!!

Have fun!!

------------------------------------------------------------
Take your time to observe... you never know what you will see.

January 23, 2013 3:07 pm  #2

Re: Who would suit Sherlock in a relationship?

Depends on whether Sherlock wants a (dark) mirror of himself in his life - then Irene or Moriarty - or an anchor - that would be John. We - the audience - want him to want both - the challenge - as portrayed in Moriarty and Irene - and John as the one who would save him - often from himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 23, 2013 3:27 pm  #3

Good points, but what do you think sherlock would want in a relationship?

January 23, 2013 3:39 pm  #4

An intellectual challenge. Someone who doesn't accept everything he says. Who speaks out. Who appreciates him without adoring him in an uncritical way. Who points out things to him he doesn't see or understand. Well, there you have John all over again with a hint of Irene. 

As for the sexual/physical side - there have been heated and passionate discussion elsewhere in this forum. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 23, 2013 3:40 pm  #5

Sherlock would need someone who inspires him. And who doesn't get on his nerves.
He's not interested in sex, so at which point can we speak of a relationship?

Last edited by Mary Me (May 25, 2013 9:42 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 23, 2013 6:20 pm  #6

A good description there suziGo, I also am aware there are other heated topics, however my opinion isn't as heated as most and simply think that sherlock is a-sexual, putting work first and never really worried about sex as Mary me put it. I think relationship is a loose word, maybe life companion, that leaves the board open. I wonder what sherlocks perfect partner would be, like who would he want... Maybe jessica from murder she wrote.hahaha.

January 24, 2013 11:56 am  #7

An hour ago - waiting for  my tram to come - I was thinking that Sherlock would never consider a relationship with a "fan" - be it type A ("catch me before I kill again" Moriarty) or type B ("your bedroom's just a taxi ride away" Irene).

Last edited by tobeornot221b (January 24, 2013 11:58 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 24, 2013 1:16 pm  #8

Definitely not. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 24, 2013 4:55 pm  #9

Of course not

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 24, 2013 4:59 pm  #10

So - what do we conclude from this?
If neither Moriarty nor Irene - who'd be a best match candidate then?

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 24, 2013 5:58 pm  #11

tobeornot221b wrote:

So - what do we conclude from this?
If neither Moriarty nor Irene - who'd be a best match candidate then?

Me!  Pick me! I can put up with almost anyone and I'm partial to Geeks - especially handsome ones with cute sidekicks :-)

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 24, 2013 8:57 pm  #12

I think I can not subjectivly resbond to this, because I am SO into Johnlock! Sorry... So my answer would be John! For goods sake! JOHN!

But still:

Irene: I think she is sort of to much woman for him. She is almost intimidating... Also I think it couldn't last... Irene doesn't seem the girl to settle... Too, I don't want it for Sherlock's sake... she would go on whipping and drugging the poor guy...

Moriarty: I don't think you could leave them alone for to long... They couldn't sit comfortably in the livingroom or have time for one another... without... well... planning to throw eachother from high buildings or without snipers pointing at heads. They would be terrorizing and saving London all the time... But I can imagine Moriarty taking some hostages, dressing them with semtex and putting up interessting crimes for his darling. And then Sherlock is like "Yay! Three pips!" and "Congratulation for your new life in Coolumbia, thanks for that one, honey, I O U ;)"
Maybe I'm getting slightly overwhelmed... ^^''

January 25, 2013 2:36 am  #13

Seriously, I think it has to be John.  Sherlock is already very comfortable with him and knows how to live under the same roof with him. He can be horribly selfish and rude, which John more or less puts up with, but at other times he can be caring of John in his own weird way. Basically, they are already in a relationship. It's interesting, the word "platonic" has come to mean an intimate relationship characterized by the absense of sexual involvement. But the word is based, of course, on Plato and his philosophy of the ideal forms. So, platonic love or a platonic relationship would be considered the ideal or perfect form of a relationship - so perfect and pure that it rises above the carnal.  Now, neither John or Sherlock are perfect, but the form their relationship takes just might be.  It certainly seems to working for them.
Funny, in all the other charaterizations of Holmes and Watson that I've seen - from canon on, I've never pictured the two characters "together" as a couple until the BBC version.  (Think Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce (oh lord). But there's something about these two actors and their portrayal of the characters that whispers "Johnlock" in my head and I don't cringe. When I tuned into the show when it first aired I never expected anything like that. I was in it for the adventure.  Now I'm in it for the relationship and the adventure.

January 25, 2013 9:25 am  #14

Oh Jesus. 90% of the entire Sherlock fandom are Johnlock shippers, aren't they?
No, I've got no problem with that. Just not my division. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 25, 2013 9:46 am  #15

KeepersPrice wrote:

Seriously, I think it has to be John.  Sherlock is already very comfortable with him and knows how to live under the same roof with him. He can be horribly selfish and rude, which John more or less puts up with, but at other times he can be caring of John in his own weird way. Basically, they are already in a relationship. It's interesting, the word "platonic" has come to mean an intimate relationship characterized by the absense of sexual involvement. But the word is based, of course, on Plato and his philosophy of the ideal forms. So, platonic love or a platonic relationship would be considered the ideal or perfect form of a relationship - so perfect and pure that it rises above the carnal.  Now, neither John or Sherlock are perfect, but the form their relationship takes just might be.  It certainly seems to working for them.
Funny, in all the other charaterizations of Holmes and Watson that I've seen - from canon on, I've never pictured the two characters "together" as a couple until the BBC version.  (Think Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce (oh lord). But there's something about these two actors and their portrayal of the characters that whispers "Johnlock" in my head and I don't cringe. When I tuned into the show when it first aired I never expected anything like that. I was in it for the adventure.  Now I'm in it for the relationship and the adventure.

It's interesting that you write you never thought of them as a couple until the BBC version. IMO in the Guy Ritchie films the gay element is much stronger or at least more obviously played upon. Holmes even wears Watson's clothes, sleeps with his head on his shoulder, dresses up as a woman und does everything to keep Watson from marrying Mary. 
But then the Sherlock fandom is much crazier and more creative and - what is most important - the relationship in Sherlock goes much deeper and is more complex than in the films. And sometimes the things that are just hinted at are more attractive than those that blatantly leap to the eye.

January 25, 2013 4:50 pm  #16

SusiGo wrote:

It's interesting that you write you never thought of them as a couple until the BBC version. IMO in the Guy Ritchie films the gay element is much stronger or at least more obviously played upon. Holmes even wears Watson's clothes, sleeps with his head on his shoulder, dresses up as a woman und does everything to keep Watson from marrying Mary. 
But then the Sherlock fandom is much crazier and more creative and - what is most important - the relationship in Sherlock goes much deeper and is more complex than in the films. And sometimes the things that are just hinted at are more attractive than those that blatantly leap to the eye.

Sorry about that,Susi. I was going to mention that I haven't seen the Guy Ritchie films yet and I should have made that exception.  I guess I meant just the Holmes versions I've seen - not all the ones that are out there.  I've kind of avoided the Ritchie films because of the steam-punk element. The previews just seem to be all about explosions.  But watching those films have now been placed on my "to-do" list.

January 25, 2013 9:30 pm  #17

Not reason to be sorry. I watched them first before discovering Sherlock. They're quite entertaining and I like the chemistry between them. But after having seen Benedict and Martin … well 

January 26, 2013 4:46 am  #18

Because, in my opinion, Sherlock's not interested in sex (so how are we defining "relationship" in this regard?), I would say John. As Irene said: "Yes you are [a couple]." As best friends with a somewhat emotional attachment, I believe that this is as close as it gets, and also as close as Sherlock wants it. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

January 26, 2013 7:04 pm  #19

My personal favorite pairing is Irene and Sherlock. I think they have chemistry and magnetic pull towards each other, despite their better judgment. Its a very intriuging and romantic notion, but such notions are often fleeting.

So although they are my favorite couple as of currently, I think John would be his best match. Sherlock needs someone loyal, dedicated, and understanding.

Why not Molly Hooper, you may ask? She has certainly proven to be loyal, dedicated, and understanding, Very true, and I've considered the possiblity! However, Sherlock does not respect her as much as he respects John. Sherlock is found of Molly and would help or protect her if she needed him, but he doesn't treat her as an equal as he does with John. For a realtionship to work in my opinion, both parties need to feel mutual feelings of not only sentiment, but also admiration/respect/esteem. Since Molly clearly cares for Sherlock more than he does her, their relationship would crumble. (I'm not saying Molly wouldn't be good for him, I think indeed she WOULD, it just wouldn't work).

January 27, 2013 6:10 pm  #20

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Because, in my opinion, Sherlock's not interested in sex (so how are we defining "relationship" in this regard?), I would say John. As Irene said: "Yes you are [a couple]." As best friends with a somewhat emotional attachment, I believe that this is as close as it gets, and also as close as Sherlock wants it. 

That's what I mean!

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera