BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2012 2:07 pm  #1

War Horse

If you've seen War Horse, what did you think of it? What did you make of Benedict's cut-glass English accent? Must have been fun learning to ride and doing the galloping sequences!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 9, 2012 11:24 pm  #2

Re: War Horse

I watched War Horse for the first time tonight! I lurrrrved Benedict's accent - quite sexy actually!! Just a shame there wasn't more of him in it.

The film as a whole I thought was all right...not brilliant, a bit slow in parts but picked up again at the end. Probably about half an hour too long as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 10, 2012 6:52 am  #3

I agree. I think the editing could have been snappier. I actually really liked that parts that were clearly taken from the stage show though. Although I loved horses it was the human side of the tragedy that got to me the most. His accent is absolutely silver spoon in mouth but quite wonderful. Loved the galloping sequences.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 22, 2012 8:16 pm  #4

All in all it is quite a good movie! (Although the ending... reaaaally cheesy.)

Terrible, that positional warfare.

+ Benedict Cumberbatch with a ridiculous moustache!
Cumberstache?

June 7, 2012 1:26 am  #5

I've just added this movie to my nerflix queue  and it's next on my rental so I shud get it in a few days.  I've loved horses  but was not interested in this movie till I saw Benedict's name connected with it.   

Did Benedict get to meet any members of the British royal family  when it premiered in London?  could someone post pics of that  plz?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 8, 2012 9:09 pm  #6

I hate the early-20th century Cumberstache. Ever since I saw Atonement I just haven't been able to stand it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 13, 2012 6:59 am  #7

I  just saw War Horse tonight.   It was a great movie,   all about that horse.   well trained horse.   But Benedict didn't have enough scenes in there.    That was disappointing.   I  liked his mustache---it made him look more.....mature,  I guess.   But oh gosh he was really thin.   I  loved seeing him ride,  he must have enjoyed that.    What happened to him after he got caught by the germans tho?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 13, 2012 7:02 am  #8

Prisoner of war camp I guess. He was taught to ride especially for this film. I wonder if he will carry on with it?

June 13, 2012 7:14 am  #9

I  hope he does.   There have been a couple of SH  stories where he and watson rode horses.    He seemed to enjoy it,  so---  who knows?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 13, 2012 7:37 am  #10

Martin has had some practise riding a pony in The Hobbit too.

July 7, 2012 3:18 am  #11

Just watched War Horse.  I've been afraid to because I didn't want to cry if it was sad - love horses too much.  Thought it had some nice moments but way too far-fetched and overly sentimental.  Ben was well cast.  He plays arrogant very well.  Best things about it for me were the handsome horses and the John Williams score - in which he totally channeled my favorite English composer, Ralph Vaughn Williams.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 26, 2012 7:38 pm  #12

Interview with Benedict and Tom Hiddlestone about the making of Warhorse. A fantastic interview.

www.movies.ie/Interviews/1172051/Benedict_Cumberbatch_Tom_Hiddlestone_interview_for_War_Horse

Struggled to get the YouTube video to embedden but this link will take you directly to the page with the video for you to click on and ENJOY. All I will say is one word: cheekbones!

Last edited by Davina (July 26, 2012 7:50 pm)

September 21, 2012 1:33 am  #13

We are watching it now - hubs jut went out to grab it from Redbox.  Thankfully he loves movies so he's up for watching pretty much any movie I'll watch, which I plan to take advantage of until I've seen the complete works of BC.

Although I must say I'm not a fan of the mustache...

September 21, 2012 7:12 am  #14

Moustaches held the stiff upper lips in place!

March 7, 2013 9:30 am  #15

I just watched the movie and it's one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I cried. And I never cry.

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 7, 2013 11:26 am  #16

I know the stage show has made grown men cry too! 

March 7, 2013 11:53 am  #17

Yeah, well, grown men are more likely to cry than me. o_O 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

March 10, 2013 2:47 am  #18

Well, I bought it just to stare at Cumberbatch's nice tush in the saddle....got a two-for-one deal with Hiddleston...how was I NOT aware he was in this?

I agree, a bit slow and they left some stuff out from the book, but really not as bad as most horse movies. And I've loved them all my life and have owned four over about 20 yrs :D

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

August 23, 2013 11:56 am  #19

I watched it yesterday and I have to say: didn't like it at all. I was almost bored to death and found a lot of the dialogue quite bad. To me it's probably the worst movie by Steven Spielberg I have ever seen.
I already suspected this when I saw the trailer in the cinema last year (was it last year?), so I didn't go and see it. Now I bought it because of Benedict, and of course I liked him and Mister Hiddleston a lot. But apart from them... uh.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 23, 2013 2:48 pm  #20

Bought this on DVD yesterday, but his name doesn't appear in the cast list on the back of the case. Is it only a small role?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

Board footera