BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2014 1:16 am  #121

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

natal wrote:

If S would let himself be attracted by a person, that would be a female one. All the times he is kind of distracted by a person is a woman. He loves John as a friend, his best and only. Its another matter that he admires most the mental qualities, of course that goes for all. All I understand is that he doesnt want to trouble himself with love and romance cause he will be distracted.

That's one view point.  But many arguments can be made for the opposite.  Kinda why we're all here.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 13, 2014 6:49 am  #122

I think it's fairly true to say Sherlock's only ever been distracted(in gender times) by females. He also chose to prerend to have a girlfriend, not a boyfriend.
He has kissed 4(I think) females in the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 13, 2014 7:06 am  #123

That is not entirely true, bb. Look at the scene with Mycroft in TEH before he encounters John. Mycroft wants to talk to him about the terrorist threat while Sherlock is totally focused on what his shirt looks like and his reunion with John. You may argue that he is nervous because he is about to see his friend after two years being dead. 
But why would he care about his looks? And about John's looks, i.e. the moustache? That it ages him? He at once decides that "we" must do something about this and he cannot be seen walking around with an old man. 
And Mycroft all the while going on about the case while Sherlock does not give a damn about it at the moment. 

In fact we have a mirror scene for this in HLV when Sherlock wants to talk about Magnussen while John simply cannot shut up about Sherlock having a girlfriend (Much more could be said about John's reaction in this whole scene but this might not be the place for it).

And, finally, there are Sherlock's words "It's always you, John Watson, you keep me right." 

So distraction occurs. He may be distracted by men and women alike. To me it does not prove anything about him being attracted to women. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 13, 2014 7:18 am  #124

Oh I see those as 2 separate parts of ther same thing.
Sherlock wants to make his mark that he is back and his image(particularly with the coat) is very important to him.
He just assumes life will go back to normal with John and of course,that's exactly what he wants.
Some of us just can't stand moustaches and they do make people look old.
You really think Sherlock is not listening to Mycroft?  I have no doubt he is taking in every word, he would just nevr admit this to his brother.
Of course it's always John, he's his best friend.
And the kissing women, pretending to have a grlfriend, The Woman?

Last edited by besleybean (March 13, 2014 7:19 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 13, 2014 7:27 am  #125

I think he does notice everything Mycroft says but always comes back to the John subject. 

As for the women - we have discussed more than once  that he may be attracted by Irene's cleverness and boldness but I do not think that he has ever been sexually attraced to her. 
He pretends to have a girlfried because it is Canon and useful for the story. I admit, his kisses are quite convincing but then he is a good actor. What does Janine say about him? 
"I wish you weren't … whatever it is you are." 
"I know what kind of man you are … but we could have been friends."
She may not express it clearly but to me this means she senses that he is not attracted to women (and this although he started a relationship with her). 

Last edited by SusiGo (March 13, 2014 7:28 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 13, 2014 7:33 am  #126

I agree with you on Irene, but Benedict and Steven disagree with us!
Janine seems as puzzled a the rest of us, to what Sherlock actually is..
John will always be the most important person in Sherlock's life, nobody has ever disputed this.

March 13, 2014 7:41 am  #127

I agree with you on most points - apart from Steven. I would never ever believe anything he says about the show. The same goes for Mark. Remember their comments on series 3 DVD about telling lies all the time? 
As for Benedict's comments - I suppose they do not tell the actors everything in advance. Just think of Amanda having no idea that she was an ex-killer and about to shoot Sherlock before filming HLV. The actors did not know how Sherlock survived (well, we are still not sure). 
It is a fact that Benedict said Sherlock has a sexuality. We are shown again and again that he can be tender and caring towards women (Molly and Mrs Hudson) but the moment sexuality comes into play he either withdraws or fakes his feelings. That is all we know for sure. 

March 13, 2014 8:17 am  #128

As far as Sherlock pretending to have a girlfriend goes: Yes, well, he's pretending. And he's not pretending in order to make someone jealous or to get an emotional response from someone, he's doing it because of the job. That's it, and it proves nothing in terms of Sherlock's sexuality.

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 13, 2014 8:18 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 13, 2014 9:17 am  #129

SusiGo wrote:

That is not entirely true, bb. Look at the scene with Mycroft in TEH before he encounters John. Mycroft wants to talk to him about the terrorist threat while Sherlock is totally focused on what his shirt looks like and his reunion with John. You may argue that he is nervous because he is about to see his friend after two years being dead. 
But why would he care about his looks? And about John's looks, i.e. the moustache? That it ages him? He at once decides that "we" must do something about this and he cannot be seen walking around with an old man. 
And Mycroft all the while going on about the case while Sherlock does not give a damn about it at the moment. 

In fact we have a mirror scene for this in HLV when Sherlock wants to talk about Magnussen while John simply cannot shut up about Sherlock having a girlfriend (Much more could be said about John's reaction in this whole scene but this might not be the place for it).

And, finally, there are Sherlock's words "It's always you, John Watson, you keep me right." 

So distraction occurs. He may be distracted by men and women alike. To me it does not prove anything about him being attracted to women. 

On the other the more obvious may be the truth. S is nervous for seeing John after 2 years and we wants to see how his friend is been doing without him, is he is ok in this new relasionship. John is suprised that S has a girlfiend and happy to see his friend having some real life. Thats it for me! So simple "brotherly" care. Nowhere in series we see something else like Irene's, nowhere. And I think and hope to see some plot with her it would be very interesting. But thats just my thoughts!

The Game Is On_

March 13, 2014 9:22 am  #130

I think John is not just surprised. He goes on and on with this while Sherlock tries to explain about the Magnussen case. Why should he look away totally exasperated just because his best friend kisses a girl? Why should he clench his fist repeatedly, a thing John does when being in an emotionally taxing situation (he does the same in the airport scene, btw, when Sherlock wants to shake his hand). 

March 13, 2014 9:25 am  #131

natal wrote:

On the other the more obvious may be the truth. S is nervous for seeing John after 2 years and we wants to see how his friend is been doing without him, is he is ok in this new relasionship. John is suprised that S has a girlfiend and happy to see his friend having some real life. Thats it for me! So simple "brotherly" care. Nowhere in series we see something else like Irene's, nowhere. And I think and hope to see some plot with her it would be very interesting. But thats just my thoughts!

Well, this discussion never gets old.
The question is, what are you looking for, what would you want or need to see that would convince you that the not so obvious might be the truth and the obvious just isn't? Sometimes love just isn't all that obvious, sometimes people don't even know themselves whether or not they are in love with another person or how they would describe their feelings for that person.
In the end, everyone has his/her own truth. It's been said so often and it's true: You can perceive it your way and be fine with it, other fans can perceive it in a different way and be fine with it - and it works for all of us.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 13, 2014 12:03 pm  #132

SolarSystem wrote:

As far as Sherlock pretending to have a girlfriend goes: Yes, well, he's pretending. And he's not pretending in order to make someone jealous or to get an emotional response from someone, he's doing it because of the job. That's it, and it proves nothing in terms of Sherlock's sexuality.

I was going to mention this.  The important thing about Jannie is not that she's a woman but that she's CAM's assistant.  I have no problem believing that if CAM had had a male assistant (always a possiblity) Sherlock would have had no problem doing exactly what he did with Jannie.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 13, 2014 10:43 pm  #133

besleybean wrote:

I think it's fairly true to say Sherlock's only ever been distracted(in gender times) by females. He also chose to prerend to have a girlfriend, not a boyfriend.

Yes, but apart from the (fake) Janine kiss they were all platonic kisses. Really cute ones though.

One thing I currently have a problem with is people implying that Sherlock and John are openly in love with each other already and aware of it. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a cute idea that they might fall in love at some point in the future, but that it's just a possibility at the moment that only exists subconsciously. Lately, especially on tumblr of course, I've seen many people practically trying to force everyone else to believe that S3 is some kind of musical-worthy unrequited love plot in which Sherlock is openly pining for John and jealous because of John's relationship with Mary. For example, that in the "best man" scene Sherlock didn't fall silent because he was overwhelmed, but because he was so disappointed that he had to be the best friend instead of the boyfriend. And so forth. Well, you can possibly view it that way but I have to say I find it awful. It would ruin some of the best moments for me and turn the show into something I really don't like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

March 13, 2014 10:58 pm  #134

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Yes, but apart from the (fake) Janine kiss they were all platonic kisses. Really cute ones though.

One thing I currently have a problem with is people implying that Sherlock and John are openly in love with each other already and aware of it. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a cute idea that they might fall in love at some point in the future, but that it's just a possibility at the moment that only exists subconsciously. Lately, especially on tumblr of course, I've seen many people practically trying to force everyone else to believe that S3 is some kind of musical-worthy unrequited love plot in which Sherlock is openly pining for John and jealous because of John's relationship with Mary. For example, that in the "best man" scene Sherlock didn't fall silent because he was overwhelmed, but because he was so disappointed that he had to be the best friend instead of the boyfriend. And so forth. Well, you can possibly view it that way but I have to say I find it awful. It would ruin some of the best moments for me and turn the show into something I really don't like.

I sympathise; I have more or less given up looking for interesting stuff to read because it's inundated with people who believe that Sherlock is a romance, and therefore ignore around 90% of the show. Given the extraordinary efforts that everybody makes, from Moftiss to the directors and the actors and all the people who work behind the scenes, I feel that they deserve better than that; I don't want to reduce it to boy meets boy, boy loses boy, boy reunites with boy.

Not least because it's really boring...

March 13, 2014 10:59 pm  #135

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

besleybean wrote:

JESUS! Where are all these coming from? Oh God I will shoot myself. S mercy plzzz. Its unlikely a tv show like this will turn up a gay romance (no offence). I cant understand why many people dont even think (not adapt) the obvious but trying to find the hidden meaning behind words. John likes women clearly, he had many of them. Irene likes both genders, prefers women. Serlock plays his mind game with women, nowhere, not once we saw the opposite. How would he like Mary if he wanted John for himself for example? This talk will never end 

The Game Is On_

March 14, 2014 6:48 am  #136

Arthut Conan Doyle has a lot to answer for!
It all started when he wrote the most exciring adventure stories ever, starring the amazing and glamorous only consulting detective in the world.
Men admired him and women swooned.
People wondred why he wasn't married.
Some thought, well that can only because he's gay, or at least in love with John Watson.
They then scoured every word of the writiings to justify this belief.
I personally never bought it.
ACD is not here to explain himself.
Nothing's changed with BBC Sherlock.
The only difference is the actor, writers etc are alive, well, with us and have spken/written extensively on the subject: they did not write this as Johnlock and it is not going to happen in their show.
But then of course, we mustn't belueve any of this: because the writers lie to us...and tha actor, and the hudsband of one of the actors/writers...apparently.
Yeah well, I'm still not buying it.
It's a bit like the existence of God.
It's not up to us atheists to prove a negative.
The believers have to prove it.
Well it's the same with Johnlock and the solution is easy: ask the actor/writers.

Last edited by besleybean (March 14, 2014 6:49 am)

March 14, 2014 7:29 am  #137

I think they didn´t write it as Johnlock and it´s never going to happen in the show, but they also deliberately included quite a lot of not-so-subtle hints in the direction, probably to continue all the speculation that was going on about ACDs Holmes and Watson. It is great, it allows everyone to pick the interpretation they prefer, it creates a lot of discussions and interest, everyone thinks he/she the only one who gets what is really going on..
Imo no one has to prove anything, it is just entertainment and everyone should have the fun they like with it. 

Last edited by Zatoichi (March 14, 2014 7:31 am)

March 14, 2014 7:30 am  #138

I can't disagree with that.

March 14, 2014 11:56 am  #139

Everyone is allowed to sail their favorite ship.  It's fun to anylize and disect as long as we're all respectful of each other.  There are pairings that I find silly, there are pairings I truly find disgusting but I don't fill the internet with my "hate" for these ships.  That's the only thing that really upsets me is when someone violently decries even the possibility of Johnlock or personally insults Johnlock shippers. 
I'm in this fandom for fun and it's a joy to share it with my fellow obsessives even if I don't share all of their opinions.

(whoa, how did I get up here on this soapbox?   )

Last edited by tonnaree (March 14, 2014 11:57 am)

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 14, 2014 11:57 am  #140

Well said, tonnaree. 

Board footera