BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2014 4:46 pm  #481

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

SolarSystem wrote:

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

His expression when he found Jim's number under the dish before he told Molly was one of shock.

We really must be watching different shows then, because I don't see the slightest hint of shock there. He takes the card with the number from under the dish in a matter of fact kind of way. He already gave Molly evidence for why Jim is gay, and this is just another piece of evidence.
I see lots of things in that scene, but no shock, at least not on Sherlock's side. Molly on the other hand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEcYGe0hzrw

Wrong scene, the one before he deduces. The scene where Jim knocks down the dish and places it back. The focus on the camera is on Molly, but you can see Sherlock's faded expression of shock. His eyes and mouth are wide open. 

This one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu6PDaLJ7JQ

Happens around 0:25

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 27, 2014 4:58 pm)

May 27, 2014 4:55 pm  #482

mrshouse wrote:

Did we ever consider that this very Sherlock is clever, brilliant, brutal in his open language to just everyone, might feel uncomfortable because he might not be for the casual sex? The hot sex Irene provides, fulfilling hot phantasies? Or maybe Janine cornering him and snogging for a good story to sell? Maybe he would rather commit to a person with whom he holds an emotional connection as well. It might be he has not had to much sexual expirience up to now, but he is not a virgin.

Hmmmmm, can we think of anyone who might fit that role?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 27, 2014 4:58 pm  #483

He might have been shocked because he was introduced as Mollys' s boyfriend.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 27, 2014 4:58 pm  #484

You see shock, I see Sherlock being annoyed and a bit like 'God, what a jerk'.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 27, 2014 4:59 pm  #485

@mrshouse: Who said Sherlock was into casual sex? I never implied that. Also, doesn't mean he can't be uncomfortable as well as find "sex" animalistic. Janine wanted sex. Sherlock didn't give it because he was just using her. Janine geniunely seemed to care for Sherlock and really wanted to. Her sharing false stories was in response to the fact that Sherlock pretended to be something he wasn't. She wasn't cornering him like a predator. Janine was the victim there. Not Sherlock. 

@Solar: Looked like shock to me or at least, very surprised. 

May 27, 2014 5:01 pm  #486

But she sure got her revenge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 27, 2014 5:06 pm  #487

besleybean wrote:

But she sure got her revenge.

And who can blame her? Even though, I may not agree with how she did it.

May 27, 2014 5:22 pm  #488

@mrshouse: Who said Sherlock was into casual sex? I never implied that. Also, doesn't mean he can't be uncomfortable as well as find "sex" animalistic. Janine wanted sex. Sherlock didn't give it because he was just using her. Janine geniunely seemed to care for Sherlock and really wanted to. Her sharing false stories was in response to the fact that Sherlock pretended to be something he wasn't. She wasn't cornering him like a predator. Janine was the victim there. Not Sherlock.  

And I didn't imply that you implied it. But we cannot see him as asexual because he hasn't jumped on anyone so far nor because he makes faces when confronted with a type of flirting or being cornered that does not touch him. That's the kind of love/sentiment/andyessex he doesn't understand indeed. This thread is to discuss his sexuality and the thought he might want someone in the way I described hasn't been mentioned as far as I read.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 27, 2014 5:54 pm  #489

mrshouse wrote:

And I didn't imply that you implied it. But we cannot see him as asexual because he hasn't jumped on anyone so far nor because he makes faces when confronted with a type of flirting or being cornered that does not touch him. That's the kind of love/sentiment/andyessex he doesn't understand indeed. This thread is to discuss his sexuality and the thought he might want someone in the way I described hasn't been mentioned as far as I read.

Okay, I didn't know if that was what you were implying or not, and apologies for my misunderstanding.

I still don't think it means he isn't asexual either. So far he doesn't seem interested in sexual advances and ignores flirting. The only way he seems to respond to anything is intellectual stimulation based on interactions with both Irene and Moriarty, which could be a good point for sapisexuality as well as pansexuality due to the fact that Irene and Moriarty both gave him a game to figure out and he responds the same way despite different approaches. 

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 27, 2014 5:55 pm)

May 27, 2014 6:01 pm  #490

Ok, I see the point you make but I tried to give the sight on his sexuality a different spin: I agree that up to now he doesn't seem to be interested in the advances several people have made. But intellectual stimulation is not hottening his libido either because he could have had Irene right away. But for me during S 3 the thought came up if he might want a person on a loving and emotional level and then maybe can commit himself physically.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 27, 2014 6:05 pm  #491

What makes you think Sherlock thought this way in S3?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 27, 2014 6:08 pm  #492

Do we really have to discuss he was way more emotional and loving and caring about people??

Last edited by mrshouse (May 27, 2014 6:11 pm)

May 27, 2014 6:11 pm  #493

besleybean wrote:

What makes you think Sherlock thought this way in S3?

Call it a woman´s intuition. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 27, 2014 6:12 pm  #494

No, we don't, not really, mrshouse. TSoT alone was so full of emotions, of Sherlock declaring his love for John - and of Sherlock wanting, maybe even needing, and if only for a short amount of time, to belong.

Last edited by SolarSystem (May 27, 2014 6:13 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 27, 2014 8:49 pm  #495

I still think Sherlock views sex as an animalistic desire he is above doing despite his sexuality.  

Well, I think he talks a good game, but who (but him) knows what's going on behind closed doors? All of us know lots of people who say one thing and do another. I admit Sherlock is convincing about what he says about himself (any subject), but that doesn't mean he couldn't just be keeping his private stuff private.

May 27, 2014 8:52 pm  #496

I still find it odd to conceive he's sneaking partners into his room and why the writers would think this would never even need alluding to...
But he may well entertain himself, by himself.

Last edited by besleybean (May 27, 2014 8:53 pm)

May 27, 2014 8:56 pm  #497

mrshouse wrote:

Did we ever consider that this very Sherlock is clever, brilliant, brutal in his open language to just everyone, might feel uncomfortable because he might not be for the casual sex? The hot sex Irene provides, fulfilling hot phantasies? Or maybe Janine cornering him and snogging for a good story to sell? Maybe he would rather commit to a person with whom he holds an emotional connection as well. It might be he has not had to much sexual expirience up to now, but he is not a virgin.

I wonder if the writers are still figuring out what to do about Sherlock's sexuality. They could take it/him in many different directions.

Funny, he was allowed to use Janine for his own purposes (presumably doing everything with her but actual penetration, if their conversation is to be believed). But remember the gal from the press-- Penny? who cornered him in the men's during Moriarty's trial, wanted Sherlock to autograph her boob, etc? She was offering herself on a plate, would have done anything (twice!) to be with Sherlock, see how he ticked, write about him, etc.  And yet Sherlock leaned down into her face and said with more than a little heat YOU. REPEL. ME.  So what are the viewers to make of that?  He uses women when it suits him? That he's cold (perhaps frigid, or whatever the word is for men who refuse to have sex) and perhaps cold-hearted, a user of women, when it suits him, but when it doesn't, he isn't. Girls are not really his area, except when they are?

I don't think we're the only ones confused by what Sherlock's sexuality is or isn't. I think the writers may be more confused than we are. So far.

May 27, 2014 9:00 pm  #498

SolarSystem wrote:

....I don't see the slightest hint of shock there. He takes the card with the number from under the dish in a matter of fact kind of way. He already gave Molly evidence for why Jim is gay, and this is just another piece of evidence. I see lots of things in that scene, but no shock, at least not on Sherlock's side. Molly on the other hand...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEcYGe0hzrw

Yeah, the way he takes the card out from under the petri dish, the one with Jim's number on it, shows that Sherlock knew it was there all along, probably saw Jim put it there, etc., so IMO there was no shock. OTOH, when he finds that he's offended Molly so much that she has to turn tail and run out of the lab like that, THAT looks more like shock. Surprise. Such a dunce, our Sherlock. Love him. Want to slap him. Both. heh Anyone who wants to be "sexual" with that man better have the patience of a saint.

May 27, 2014 9:05 pm  #499

Wrong scene, the one before he deduces. The scene where Jim knocks down the dish and places it back. The focus on the camera is on Molly, but you can see Sherlock's faded expression of shock. His eyes and mouth are wide open. 
This one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu6PDaLJ7JQ
Happens around 0:25

Goodness, what a well-done scene. A delight to watch, even for the 500th time. A real ensemble scene that clicks right along, seemingly seamlessly. Lovely writing and acting, directing and editing. *happy sigh*

Yeah, I don't think that open mouthed thing is shock. I think it's disbelief. LIke, for f***'s sake, I can't believe that a**hole just put on that charade of knocking over the dish, just to leave me his number. As if I'd be interested. Ugh.

May 27, 2014 9:05 pm  #500

ancientsgate wrote:

I wonder if the writers are still figuring out what to do about Sherlock's sexuality. They could take it/him in many different directions.

Funny, he was allowed to use Janine for his own purposes (presumably doing everything with her but actual penetration, if their conversation is to be believed). But remember the gal from the press-- Penny? who cornered him in the men's during Moriarty's trial, wanted Sherlock to autograph her boob, etc? She was offering herself on a plate, would have done anything (twice!) to be with Sherlock, see how he ticked, write about him, etc.  And yet Sherlock leaned down into her face and said with more than a little heat YOU. REPEL. ME.  So what are the viewers to make of that?  He uses women when it suits him? That he's cold (perhaps frigid, or whatever the word is for men who refuse to have sex) and perhaps cold-hearted, a user of women, when it suits him, but when it doesn't, he isn't. Girls are not really his area, except when they are?

Kitty Riley hardly counts. She followed him to the men´s loo, tried to prove he´s fake even before they have spoken together (by painting that black smudge on herself she proved that she didn´t believe in his skills and that she finds him suspicious), then she jumped into his path when he tried to leave the loo in peace after he rejected the chance of an interview and she asked him nasty questions about John´s sexuality, then vaguely threatened him... she was really a repulsive stalker who just wanted to abuse him. "You repell me" were still a very polite words for such a creature.

She was not posing as his possible love interest, she was harassing him in a nasty way.

Last edited by nakahara (May 27, 2014 9:17 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera