BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2014 1:31 am  #421

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

@ancientsgate: I understand what you are saying. It just seemed to me that people in this fandom seemed very quick to say no and I was just puzzled, questioning why. 

I understand that Moffat probably didn't want to put Sherlock as asexual because of the fact asexual don't have sex or intimate relationships, but I believe he was mistaken because asexuals do have intimate relationships. It just doesn't have to do with sexual attraction and, like I said in my post, some do engage in sex from what I read (again, just want to make it clear I'm no expert about asexuality and I don't know any people who are. I just researched it on websites that from what I could tell were legit). It isn't my intent to prove Sherlock is an asexual. I was just confused that when people mention it, people are quickly to dismiss it.

You make a excellent point about there, though. We don't see everything Sherlock does and we can't assume that since we don't see Sherlock brush his teeth, he doesn't. So we can't say for sure if Sherlock does or doesn't participate in different types of "activity". The only thing we can do is observe and come with our own conclusions based on what we see on the show, and since everyone sees Sherlock differently, we have have our own interpretation. Some people see Sherlock who isn't interested in sex or anything sexual. Some believe he does or some people believe that he engages such differently like his casework or suppresses it. It's all fasicinating and one of the reasons why I love Sherlock so much. =)

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 25, 2014 2:25 am)

May 25, 2014 4:27 am  #422

Schmiezi wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

*runs through the thread in nothing but a sheet singing*

Let's talk about sex baby.................let's talk about you and me...............

I think I love you.

Aw!  *blush*   *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 25, 2014 7:19 am  #423

But I repeat: everybody else in the show has their relationships shown or at least discussed.
What's so different about Sherlock?
We know Molly has a crush on him,in fact I would even say she is in love with him.He has grown to be both highly fond of and to greatly repect her...he has kissed her twice that we know of.
Irene definitely at least had a crush on him, if not fell for him,.,,,his feelings towards her are wothy of a show themselves!
Then he has the pretend relationship with  Janine.
What does this tell us about his heart?
He's not shown to be in a relationship ewith anybody, but the only people he has kissed are all female(and I'm not counting Janine), one of them twice and he has hugged Mary.
The only male he has approached physically is John and that is a hand on the shoulder or grabbing him by the arm.

Last edited by besleybean (May 25, 2014 7:22 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 25, 2014 9:16 am  #424

besleybean wrote:

But I repeat: everybody else in the show has their relationships shown or at least discussed.

Rethorical question, right?
The difference is that for Sherlock brainwork is indeed more important than for other people. Emotions and sexuality often do get in the way with other people - John, Molly - whereas Sherlock first and foremost concentrates on his brainwork in order to get things done, to solve the case.
That doesn't mean however that he has no emotions and no sexuality at all. It's just that his brainwork is far more important. And by showing other people's sexuality in contrast to showing Sherlock's brainwork, this difference is made clear.
Doesn't mean that Molly or John don't do brainwork at all, and doesn't mean that Sherlock doesn't do sexuality, either.

Last edited by SolarSystem (May 25, 2014 9:17 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 25, 2014 10:21 am  #425

I agree, but it also doesn't mean he's in a relationship or seeks one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 25, 2014 11:43 am  #426

Yes. Even if he did, no one would know anyway.  

Sherlock never likes to voluntary information about himself since he likes to keep himself enigmatic. XD

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 25, 2014 11:49 am)

May 25, 2014 11:50 am  #427

So that is what you are positng?
The reason we don't hear him refer to a partner or we don't see him with a partner, is because he hides it from(previously) John and Mrs H.
What they don't see, we don't see?

May 25, 2014 11:53 am  #428

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

Sherlock never likes to voluntary information about himself since he likes to keep himself enigmatic. XD

No, not always:
"I love dancing. I’ve always loved it." he tells Janine.

Last edited by tobeornot221b (May 25, 2014 11:53 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 25, 2014 12:05 pm  #429

besleybean wrote:

We know Molly has a crush on him,in fact I would even say she is in love with him.He has grown to be both highly fond of and to greatly repect her...he has kissed her twice that we know of.
Irene definitely at least had a crush on him, if not fell for him,.,,,his feelings towards her are wothy of a show themselves!
Then he has the pretend relationship with  Janine.
What does this tell us about his heart?
He's not shown to be in a relationship ewith anybody, but the only people he has kissed are all female(and I'm not counting Janine), one of them twice and he has hugged Mary.
The only male he has approached physically is John and that is a hand on the shoulder or grabbing him by the arm.

Point.  The Molly kisses were on the cheek and quite chaste.  The Janine kisses were fake and frankly Sherlock seemed to be tolorating them, not enjoying them.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 25, 2014 12:11 pm  #430

And he kissed Mary as well - on the forehead, in the drama queen sequence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 25, 2014 12:16 pm  #431

I think it is quite telling that he kisses indeed some women (Mrs Hudson as well, if I am not mistaken) but never for sexual and/or romantic reasons. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 25, 2014 12:21 pm  #432

SusiGo wrote:

I think it is quite telling that he kisses indeed some women (Mrs Hudson as well, if I am not mistaken) but never for sexual and/or romantic reasons. 

Exactly what I was trying to say.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 25, 2014 12:24 pm  #433

besleybean wrote:

So that is what you are positng?
The reason we don't hear him refer to a partner or we don't see him with a partner, is because he hides it from(previously) John and Mrs H.
What they don't see, we don't see?

Well, S1 and S2 are told by John's pov and John and Mrs. Hudson in ASiB discussing if they even know if Sherlock ever had a relationship of any kind, they both were clueless with John saying, "How can we not know?" Mrs. Hudson goes: "He's Sherlock. Whatever do we know what goes on in that funny head of his." (something like that)

I don't think he has a relationship hiding behind their backs on the show (though, doesn't mean I can't see Sherlock doing that and it is interesting situation to write about), but Sherlock could have had one before, but why would he tell? XD

@tobeornot221b: Sherlock told that to Janine based on the fact that they were going to be dancing together (and they didn't. So sad. =(  ). I think that reveal was approiate in context as well as helps spell that Sherlock does love other things beside his casework. It's just that his casework is top priorioty. 

@Sherlock kissing women: His kisses seem to be taken as a friendly gesture of gratitude like with Molly and Mary. He kisses and hugs Mrs. Hudson like she is his surrogate mother or something. XD So adorable. Because they are friendly, It doesn't mean he doesn't have an attraction to women. Sherlock seems to gain attraction by mind alone from what I perceived on the show. 

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (May 25, 2014 12:41 pm)

May 25, 2014 9:14 pm  #434

a_S @CHIMPSINSOCKS a belief, or insistent demands, that it should become reality and appear in the show itself.
“Sherlock” itself plays with the idea that society is so unused to any kind of male friendship or intimacy that those around Sherlock and John often assume their relationship can only be motivated by sexual attraction. As Amanda says, why can’t their love for each other be friendship? Why impose a gay dynamic on two characters who, as clearly as we can tell, identify respectively as heterosexual and asexual?

^^^ That.

May 25, 2014 9:32 pm  #435

I think, though, we can all agree that Sherlock isn't straight. XD 

I don't agree. I have seen no real indication that he is not straight. There is a lot of really nitpicky theories out there that analyse every scene to death and find "proof" in every one of them that Sherlock and John are each other's "twu wuv": they are entertaining to read, but they haven't convinced me, because they are more about what the writer WANTS to see, and what they INTERPRET from facial expressions and lines of dialogue, something anyone else could interpret in a totally different way.

From what I have seen, I simply DON'T KNOW the way Sherlock swings. He chose to use a woman (Janine) to get to Magnussen, but then again, maybe Magnussen just doesn't have any gay man in his close entourage Sherlock could seduce (without ever having sex! One thing we can say for him, he does have some personal charm that atones for the lack of sex!).

May 25, 2014 9:37 pm  #436

Sherlock knew Janine from the wedding, so even if there had been a gay man in CAM's entourage he could have used, it probably was much easier to get to CAM by using Janine.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 26, 2014 12:20 am  #437

Gilly_sirl wrote:

a_S @CHIMPSINSOCKS a belief, or insistent demands, that it should become reality and appear in the show itself. “Sherlock” itself plays with the idea that society is so unused to any kind of male friendship or intimacy that those around Sherlock and John often assume their relationship can only be motivated by sexual attraction. As Amanda says, why can’t their love for each other be friendship? Why impose a gay dynamic on two characters who, as clearly as we can tell, identify respectively as heterosexual and asexual?

^^^ That.

Baloney. If it's just friendship and there is indeed no "gay dynamic" there (I guess we johnlockers have just been lounging around making things up in dreamland....  ) then the showrunners need to s-t-o-p allowing Ben to play Sherlock the way he does. He often has puppy dog eyes when he looks at John, sometimes looking at him when John is not looking back, not even aware he's being observed. And sorry, but Sherlock doesn't observe John as though he were a bug on a pin, as some kind of scientific experiment, a study strictly in the intellectual pursuit of knowledge. No, the puppy dog eyes are.....  well, they're not the way I've ever seen one man look at another man unless he's carrying a torch, albeit secretly.  If AA (chimpsinsocks, for those not in the know) is so very puzzled about why Johnlockers are legion in this fandom, she might take her friend Ben aside and tell him to quit it already, he's pissing her off. But I presume he's looking and acting that way because someone told him to....  think about it, girls.

May 26, 2014 12:54 am  #438

Sherlock appears completely heterosexual to me.....I think Benedict's assesment of his character is consistent with what Gatiss and Moffat have in mind.

I don't think we will see a relationship with anyone ( i hope not) just because fans want one.
I would hope that if Sherlock does enter into a relationship, it will be a deep, mature blending of souls. It would have to be intense.  

but what could I need from you....SH

May 26, 2014 4:26 am  #439

ancientsgate wrote:

Gilly_sirl wrote:

a_S @CHIMPSINSOCKS a belief, or insistent demands, that it should become reality and appear in the show itself. “Sherlock” itself plays with the idea that society is so unused to any kind of male friendship or intimacy that those around Sherlock and John often assume their relationship can only be motivated by sexual attraction. As Amanda says, why can’t their love for each other be friendship? Why impose a gay dynamic on two characters who, as clearly as we can tell, identify respectively as heterosexual and asexual?

^^^ That.

Baloney. If it's just friendship and there is indeed no "gay dynamic" there (I guess we johnlockers have just been lounging around making things up in dreamland....  ) then the showrunners need to s-t-o-p allowing Ben to play Sherlock the way he does. He often has puppy dog eyes when he looks at John, sometimes looking at him when John is not looking back, not even aware he's being observed. And sorry, but Sherlock doesn't observe John as though he were a bug on a pin, as some kind of scientific experiment, a study strictly in the intellectual pursuit of knowledge. No, the puppy dog eyes are.....  well, they're not the way I've ever seen one man look at another man unless he's carrying a torch, albeit secretly.

I guess that's a fine example of how everyone interprets what we see on the show differently according to personal experiences.. I know quite a few (insecure) people who would look like that at someone they want to be friends with but don't know how to accomplish it, or are convinced they won't be welcome/understood. (Although they probably don't look as sexy as Sherlock while focussing attention on someone.. )
In S1 and 2 I never interpreted the "puppy dog eyes" as longing, but as caring for and thinking about John much more than John himself realizes. At that point of the story John still thinks of Sherlock as a psychopath, a machine, incapable of caring for anything beyond the cases, and Sherlock does not exactly encourage a different view. He still hides behind his "sociopath" label, and John is still buying it. I always thought we're shown Sherlock observing John to get a hint that there's more behind his cold and detached mask, with this "more" not being sexual attraction but deep caring and maybe the hope for John to really become his friend, the only one he ever had..

May 26, 2014 7:24 am  #440

Gilly_sirl wrote:

Why impose a gay dynamic on two characters who, as clearly as we can tell, identify respectively as heterosexual and asexual?

Well, this gay dynamic was imposed on those two characters by the actors who play them, by the writers who write the scripts, by the two people who conceived the show. Leave all this "I'm not gay!", "Do you have a boyfriend?", "We're not a couple", "I'm not his date!" etcetera out of it and you don't have that dynamic in the first place. 
Even if it is ambiguous and some people see it while others don't see it - there's something there to see. 

Board footera