BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2014 7:46 pm  #181

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

Yes. And losing John to Mary makes him unhappy although he does not show it to John.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 15, 2014 7:48 pm  #182

Yes I completely agree.
But I don't think he wants sex with him or is even in love with him.
He just misses his best friend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 15, 2014 8:11 pm  #183

I absolutely believe that Sherlock is in love with John. And I think he definitely needs all the hugging from John he can get to be really happy. And because he is so good at not showing this to John, John doesn't get it - and probably lots of members of the audience don't get it, either.
But that's totally okay.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 15, 2014 8:19 pm  #184

So basically, we're all idiots?!

Last edited by besleybean (April 15, 2014 8:20 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 15, 2014 8:31 pm  #185

I'd never use a word like 'idiots'...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 15, 2014 8:31 pm  #186

Tee Hee.

April 15, 2014 11:42 pm  #187

Since John is willing to give up his life for Sherlock, I think he loves him as much as the human heart is capable of. He doesn't say he loves Mary more than Sherlock, so his feelings are comparable to being in love with him, or at least of the same magnitude. 
As for Sherlock, although he didn't suicide faceplant on the sidewalk for him, he did do that come back to life thing because he thought John was in danger. John often tends to be his exclusive emotional on switch, as noted by magnuessen. I don't know how much he loves him but he definately exhibits exceptional and uncharacteristic behavior when John is involved. Also did he say he loved John during the wedding?
I like how their love is somewhat understated because John is pretty reserved and Sherlock likes to pretend he's a sociopath. It kind of becomes the elephant in the room.
It seems to me Sherlock actually approves of Mary. Maybe his love for John is selfless enough to accept her as John's partner? Sexual relationships are possessive, but without the sex, maybe it's ok for them to see other people? hmm..

Last edited by Lue4028 (April 15, 2014 11:51 pm)

April 16, 2014 2:16 am  #188

I just found this quote. Of course we know that they lie most of the time but still ...

“Q: Would you ever consider [writing] Sherlock actually having a real relationship? 

Steven Moffat: It’s a whole new version, we are open to anything.”
—     
Steven Moffat

(BBC One Live Q&A, January 2014 [x])

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 16, 2014 2:23 am  #189

Hmph. As though John and Sherlock's relationship isn't real. >_>

April 16, 2014 2:56 am  #190

This is a very interesting discussion, and I wish I had the time to read all the responses. I can say that I am confused by what Benedict says regarding Sherlock's sexual experience because, as others have noted here, in ASIB Irene clearly states that Sherlock's nickname is 'the virgin', and Mycroft alludes that Sherlock is a virgin when he first talks about the Adler case.  Also, Sherlock is very uncomfortable whenever the topic of sex comes up - such as he was with Molly when she talked about all the sex she was having with her boyfriend.  He is obviously a virgin.  No question.

I do think he is attracted to women, because clearly he had an infatuation with Irene - a lot of that had to do with her brilliant mind - so it was more than a mere physical attraction.  It went much deeper. He was clearly devestated when he thought she was dead.  

What we don't know is why Sherlock is the way he is about sexual relationships - espeically when he has such close, emotional friendships.  Could be he views sexual, romantic love as something especially dangerous.  That is one question that has never been answered.  

I do feel sorry for Molly, who loves him so, because Sherlock will never be able to give her the love she needs from a man. 
I do find it frustrating that Moffat et al will not let Sherlock ever become a sexual person, because I think that side of him would be so fantastic.  I was half hoping that at the beginning of TEH, we'd find Sherlock in bed with Irene in some hideout! 
But I think they will be true to canon and not let something like that happen. 

April 16, 2014 3:09 am  #191

Kaye, do you realise that Sherlock is only uncomfortable when a) women talk to him about sex or b) the subject comes up in connection with women? 
He never ever seems embarrassed when people think that he and John are a couple. He remains totally cool when "Jim from IT" slips him his phone number. He never corrects Mrs Hudson or even Kitty Riley - and that from the man who would outlive God to have the last word. 

And how do we know that Moffat et al will not let him become a sexual person? It is possible but not a fact. We can never know what they are going to come up with next which makes the show so exciting. 

April 16, 2014 3:15 am  #192

Lue4028 wrote:

Hmph. As though John and Sherlock's relationship isn't real. >_>

I think the wording is a bit unfortunate. I suppose the questioner means a "love-based/sexual/love-based and sexual" relationship or however one wishes to put it.

Btw, I love the quote from ACD when asked about an adaptation of Holmes for the stage: "Kill him, marry him, do whatever you like with him."

Last edited by SusiGo (April 16, 2014 3:16 am)

April 16, 2014 4:09 am  #193

lol SusiGo, I think you just supported the argument Sherlock is straight not gay. DX If women elicit a response and men don't...
@Kaye  We can't say for sure based on the those small inferences- both the creator and the actor think he isn't a virgin.

To put it shortly.. Sherlock is above sex. imo. Dangerous isn't the word I'd use. Talking about it makes him feel awkward, but he's actually mastered sexuality, unlike the majority of people who walk around enslaved. He can control sexuality, while others are controled by it. He puts sexuality down to do his job. I respect that. He is the triumph of rationality over sexuality. If you find that frustrating then you can't fully appreciate him, I suppose.

I don't feel sorry for Molly at all. That last thing I'd expect of Sherlock would be for him to return her feelings. It wouldn't be fair to Sherlock; Sherlock is who he is, cold, cruel, unavailable. He has been nice to her on occasion, and it cost him some sociopath points, so if I were her, I'd be grateful.

God, from what you're describing, I sure hope they stick to cannon. Sherlock is inherently romantic and intellectual. You can't fast forward to bed scenes with him. gah. I didn't buy that Janine crap for a second cuz it was so out of character..

Moffat:
Probably isn’t a virgin. I can’t imagine that man as a virgin. Something happened, somewhere. I think Sherlock would have to, somewhere. He’s a man with a past.
http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/05/07/479306/steven-moffat-on-sherlocks-return-the-holmes-watson-love-story-and-updating-the-first-supervillain/

Last edited by Lue4028 (April 16, 2014 4:12 am)

April 16, 2014 4:37 am  #194

Oh, I like that interview very much, exactly my headcanon.. Thanks for the link, Lue4028, I hadn´t seen that one before..

April 16, 2014 4:43 am  #195

Lue4028 wrote:

You can't fast forward to bed scenes with him..

I suppose you mean that figuratively, because as far as I remember nobody here was talking about fast forwarding him to bed (with John or whomever else)...?
I agree, I didn't buy the whole "I'm in a relationship with Janine"-thing for a second, either. It came out of nowhere and it wasn't like Sherlock at all. It just wouldn't have been believable and a bad joke. But if  we look at his relationship with John, if we look at what they've been through together, if we look at Sherlock's reaction to John proposing to him in TSoT (yes, that to me was the real proposal in S3, John didn't propose to Mary, he proposed to Sherlock)... that's a completely different story.

April 16, 2014 8:08 am  #196

Lue4028 wrote:

lol SusiGo, I think you just supported the argument Sherlock is straight not gay. DX If women elicit a response and men don't.. 

Let's get that right: The response Susi is talking about is clearly not in his pants 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 16, 2014 12:28 pm  #197

I just like seeing the words Sex and Sherlock (and pants) in the same sentance.

*crawls back to corner*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2014 1:11 pm  #198

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 16, 2014 1:12 pm  #199

Well said, tonnaree … 

April 16, 2014 1:17 pm  #200

tonnaree, you naughty girl...! 

Board footera