BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2013 8:18 am  #1

Hatfields and McCoys

Has anyone watched this show?
I'm just starting the final part now. I just wanted to see what Costner did that was so brilliant.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 16, 2013 6:03 pm  #2

Re: Hatfields and McCoys

I took it out from the library, but didn't get a chance to watch it. So, what did Costner do that was so brilliant?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 17, 2013 8:46 am  #3

He did his job as an actor. And he did it extremely well.

Playing a 'real life' person, on top of being made by the History channel meant that these actors HAD to get it as right as possible. Now while we personally don't know the original characters, through reading up on this section of history, we can get an idea of what they were llike.
And both Costner & Paxton appear to have hit the nail on the head in this show.

I enjoy history immensely & have a deep interest in seeing 'what makes people tick' in different situations, times and places.
To watch Costner on screen here, it seems he too is a great student of the human psyche.
Throughout the whole show, you could 'see' this inward battle he has with ' I could end this if I wanted to' and history tells us that yes, indeed many times he could have. This is what makes the whole affair so tragic, his inward battle of 'end it or stand defiantly resolute'.

There's a scene with his son Johnse which just blew me away actually; first because of the turmultuous content and then because of Costner's ability to convey that turmoil without words.

Costner deserved this award, Paxton would have been next in line in my opinion.

The show as a whole is best described as a Western without the Indians. I have a complete dislike of guns and guns used in entertainment but they are a necessary prop in this show and really give an insight into the 'origins' of the gun based society in that country.
The women were portaryed in every shape & size and you cannot help but either love or hate each of the main ones individually.
The rest of the cast matched up well with 'the big names'  which overall gave it a all round star of approval from me.

I might add, there are few 'westerns' that I'd ever watch again. In that very small list however is 'Dances with Wolves'.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 17, 2013 1:11 pm  #4

Dances with Wolves definitely and I loveThe Magnificent Seven.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera