BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2013 8:21 pm  #1

Subtext

John's "I always hear 'Punch me in the face' but it's usually subtext", gave me the idea that it could be fun to find quotes that may be interpreted as containing an actual subtext (deliberately set up by the writers?) - if only in the eye - or ear - of the respective beholder.
One I've always been thinking of matching the topic of this category is:

Obviously, John and Sherlock are talking about the stars and astronomy.
But between the lines I always hear like:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 13, 2013 9:04 pm  #2

Re: Subtext

Very nice, Tobe. And with visual aid as well. I don't have any scientific pics at the moment, but I'll think about it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 14, 2013 3:41 pm  #3

Great, now I'll hear that every time I watch that episode Looks nice!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

February 24, 2013 2:12 pm  #4

Awww...that's so sweet....

You see, when I realised what you were doing, and saw the quote you were using as an example, I automatically filled the end of John's sentence in with the word "sex"....hmm....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 1, 2013 3:38 pm  #5

I have asked myself why the tea pot scene in TBB in the beginning is relatively long and a bit out of context when I suddenly got the impression that it maybe has a subtext or metaphorical meaning. That's why I put it here. (Move it away, if you want to). 

"The great artisans say, the more a tea pot is used, the more beautiful it becomes. The pots are seasoned by repeatedly pouring tea over the surface.
Sometimes you have to look hard at someting to see it's value. Some things are not supposed to sit behind glass; they are made ot be touched, to be handled.
400 years old, and they are letting you make yourself a brew. This one shines a little brighter."

I hear the writers talking about their own approach to ACD Sherlock Holmes. As if the canon Sherlock is the tea pot and our TV series is a kind of brew.
"Sherlock Holmes" is often done as if it can't be touched, handled. It is just reproduced with fog, victorian equipment, hansom cabs... As if the victorian Sherlock was to sit behind glass.
And of course we have to look hard at it.  That's what we do here, don't we?
And IMO they have certainly done something that shines a little brighter.

March 1, 2013 3:54 pm  #6

Wow - what a coincidence, Be! I was just about to write something about that very scene and already had the pictures at the ready.

You put it beautifully and a step further than I had the intention to.
To me, Soo Lin is clearly talking about herself as the tea pots - her obsession - can be identified with herself. But she's also afraid of getting involved in a closer relationship with her colleague - though she might want it.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 1, 2013 4:33 pm  #7

Well done, both of you. And I like the ACD comparison very much, intentional or not. Makes a lot of sense. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 2, 2013 10:27 pm  #8

And this one:

I always hear: "Please John, interfere, do something - my hands are tied!"

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 2, 2013 10:29 pm  #9

Hm, I always hear "Um sometimes I hate my job so much"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 16, 2013 9:51 pm  #10

The subtext of this one is pretty clear, isn't it?

It's "Let's get lai..." uhm, I mean: "I like you"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 17, 2013 9:17 pm  #11

Ok, not seriously, but it somehow suggests a parallel between John/Sherlock and Kate/Irene...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 17, 2013 9:20 pm  #12

Now, was this necessary?    LOL, great!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 12, 2013 9:33 am  #13

The impression John gets of Sherlock prior to his jump:

...has been thoroughly prepared by Sherlock. John must feel himself confirmed when he remembers good old Blind Banker times:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 12, 2013 9:52 am  #14

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 19, 2013 2:29 pm  #15

I like this topic

Here's my contribution:

Baskerville. Sherlock. John. A romantic fireplace and... a heart between them...

Do I really need to explain myself????

Just like old times...

May 19, 2013 6:01 pm  #16

Oh, I didn't see the heart until now. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 19, 2013 6:06 pm  #17

Now I can also see it - lovely! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 19, 2013 6:20 pm  #18

I would like to know who arranged the scene like that and what they were thinking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

May 19, 2013 6:31 pm  #19

Yes, I've known this for months...
I'm just wondering if this heart belonged to the existing set-up of the real Cross Keys Pub the film team was approvingly accepting to add some subtleness - or if they brought it along by themselves and hanged it up there...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 19, 2013 7:43 pm  #20

Oh, now I see the "real" heart 

Board footera