BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2012 7:13 am  #1

Introduction of characters

The introduction of the main characters is done really well in this first episode.

It starts with John Watson's Afghanistan experience and his therapist. Here he states that 'nothing ever happens to me'.

Subsequently we are introduced to Lestrade and Donovan at the press briefing. This is the first 'appearance' of Sherlock too via his mass text messaging and the message Lestrade receives signed SH.

We then find out more about John Watson through his meeting up with his old friend from Barts. His bitterness, that he trained at St. Barts,  his lowly Army pension, a problem with 'Harry' who will not or cannot help him out. His belief that no one would want to share a flat with him.

Finally, we are introduced properly to Sherlock but even this introduction is unusual. He appear on screen upside-down, unzipping a body bag with the words 'How fresh?' at this point we are also introduced to Molly Hooper in what clearly is a morgue. She humanises the situation with her comment about having known the dead person when they were alive and that they were nice. Sherlock however is concerned only with testing for bruising after beating with a riding crop although it is established that the results will confirm or contradict a man's alibi. In this scene it is also established that Molly has a 'bit of a thing' for Sherlock but that he is oblivious-the coffee and the lipstick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 9, 2012 11:25 am  #2

Re: Introduction of characters

Yeah...it's a fantastic opening sequence. And the scene where Sherlock and John meet in the lab...God I just love it! And when he leaves - "the name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street." Classic! And then Stamford's like "Yeah he's always like that." 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 3, 2012 9:00 pm  #3

I like the character of Lestrade a lot, and how he takes Sherlock's side against that of his police colleagues.  (Well, most of the time.)  When we meet him at Lauriston Gardens, the dynamic between Lestrade and Sherlock is immediately made clear.  I also really like the fact that the actor playing him does not resemble the description of Lestrade in ACD's stories.  In two of the few stories I've read so far, he's referred to as a ferret; in A Study in Scarlet: "lean and ferret-like" and in The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "A lean, ferret-like man, furtive and sly-looking..."  I have to say, I'm glad the show went with Rupert Graves instead of trying to find an actor who looked like a ferret!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 4, 2012 11:35 am  #4

If for no other reason than we would be seeing said actor making various facial expressions with photos of ferrets doing the same on Tumblr if they had!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 4, 2012 11:39 am  #5

Davina wrote:

Subsequently we are introduced to Lestrade and Donovan at the press briefing. This is the first 'appearance' of Sherlock too via his mass text messaging and the message Lestrade receives signed SH.

Was it Sherlock sending the 'Wrong' messages?
I guess it must have been but I'd just never twigged that!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 4, 2012 11:45 am  #6

Molly Hooper wrote:

Was it Sherlock sending the 'Wrong' messages?
I guess it must have been but I'd just never twigged that!

Yes, that is why Donovan said after wards something like 'You have to stop him from doing that' & Lestrade said ' You tell me how he does it & I will stop him'.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 4, 2012 11:48 am  #7

Ah, that's what they were refering to!

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 4, 2012 1:16 pm  #8

My favorite moment of the show, or one of them...is when Sherlock and John walk off together at the end and Mycroft says to Anthea that they'll have to upgrade their status etc...it's just the way he says their names as the music starts playing and they walk off smirking to each other in slow motion..."Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson"...it's like yeah, the beginning of a life long legendary partnership...it always makes me squeal with excitement lol.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 4, 2012 1:21 pm  #9

Yeah, he just says them so casually. Everytime I say the word 'Sherlock' my voice gets about  ten times higher than usual! 

June 4, 2012 8:12 pm  #10

Davina wrote:

If for no other reason than we would be seeing said actor making various facial expressions with photos of ferrets doing the same on Tumblr if they had!

Someone on Tumblr really should do that!  And include a link to otters.  Too bad I don't have an account there (and no time to create one)...   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera