BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2013 7:26 pm  #1

Archive of Our Own aka AO3

I've got an account on my favourite fanfiction site yesterday.

http://archiveofourown.org/

Now I have the possibiliy to send some (5 at the moment) invitations to people who also want an account as quickly as possible.

So, if you would like one to post your stories there (or for other reason), send me a pm with the the email address you want to use for that account.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 10, 2013 7:40 pm  #2

Re: Archive of Our Own aka AO3

That's nice, Ivy. I applied today so I'm going to wait. They said it would take about a week. If it takes longer, I may come back to you and see if you've got one left. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 10, 2013 8:32 pm  #3

That's really weird, it took several month to get an account, because they want a controlled growing of their membership. When I applied in December I got the info that I'll get my invite not before September 2013!

But anyway, that's good for us.

----------

January 11, 2013 2:27 am  #4

I waited about 3 weeks for AO3 but got my invitation right on the date they estimated - January 3.  I was surprised at that because they said there was a waiting list of 17,000. I haven't done anything on the site yet.  Which leads me to a question.  I've only written one little Johnlock and posted it on Fanfiction.  Would I also be able to post it on AO3 - or is that a bit not good, to double dip like that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 11, 2013 7:08 am  #5

Just my thoughts. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 11, 2013 11:24 am  #6

KeepersPrice wrote:
I waited about 3 weeks for AO3 but got my invitation right on the date they estimated - January 3. I was surprised at that because they said there was a waiting list of 17,000. I haven't done anything on the site yet. Which leads me to a question. I've only written one little Johnlock and posted it on Fanfiction. Would I also be able to post it on AO3 - or is that a bit not good, to double dip like that?

I'd  post my stories on both sites.

I prefer AO3, the quality of the stories is better.

----------

January 11, 2013 11:47 am  #7

Fine, then I'll give it a try as well. 

January 11, 2013 8:59 pm  #8

Nice to know. I was wondering the same thing. I have an account on AO3 as well and have not used it for anything yet. I would prefer it to Fanfiction.net, too, because it has more options, a better layout and better quality. But when I decided to upload my stories I didn't want to wait for an invitation. I had to be quicker than my self-doubt or else I would probably never have posted anything at all. So I have everything on Fanfiction.net now, but if it's no problem to post it on both sites, I might try that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 11, 2013 9:44 pm  #9

Ivy wrote:

When I'm reading fan fic I do like AO3 better - I just haven't figured out the site yet, how to filter, etc.  I was doing better with Fanfic. Guess I need to go on AO3 and spend some time getting aquainted.

I have another short story in the works - but it still needs lots and lots of work and refinement.  All I need is the time :-( When it's finally done I'll put it on AO3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 11, 2013 9:45 pm  #10

KeepersPrice wrote:

I have another short story in the works - but it still needs lots and lots of work and refinement. All I need is the time :-( When it's finally done I'll put it on AO3.

Looking forward to it...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 11, 2013 10:11 pm  #11

Looking forward to it, KP. 

January 11, 2013 10:16 pm  #12

KeepersPrice wrote:

I have another short story in the works - but it still needs lots and lots of work and refinement. All I need is the time :-( When it's finally done I'll put it on AO3.

A sequel to the last one or completely new?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 12, 2013 2:23 am  #13

I also have an account and invitations. I waited a month or so for it. I don't post, but it's useful for bookmarking WIPs and getting updates on authors etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 12, 2013 2:25 am  #14

Completely new!  Darker than the last though.  Long way to go yet before my beta reader and I will be happy (hear that AG!).  If only I didn't have to work a real job for a living *sigh*. 

Hey, now there's a tool bar here with all kinds of nifty features  - Yay!

January 12, 2013 3:35 am  #15

KeepersPrice wrote:

Ivy wrote:

When I'm reading fan fic I do like AO3 better - I just haven't figured out the site yet, how to filter, etc. I was doing better with Fanfic. Guess I need to go on AO3 and spend some time getting aquainted.

I've written in other fandoms, and I've never heard anyone grumble about writers posting to multiple sites.  I've seen a number of stories posted to both AO3 and ffnet, so I can't imagine it's a problem.

I just wish you could filter out the things you don't want to see.  Some of the filters are ridiculous, because writers tag their fics with everything.  (I mean, a fic can't be both gen and m/m.)  And the character filters aren't as good as ffnet.  Still, I agree that AO3 seems to have a somewhat higher quality - most of the writers have run spell check, at least.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

Board footera