BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2013 7:19 am  #1

My social media 'pet hate'.

PEOPLE WHO REPOST WARNINGS ESPECIALLY IN CAPS!!!

By ths I mean those who forward on every 'warning/danger Will Robinson" message they recieve on Facebook/Twitter etc without ever checking the validity of the warning.
Honestly, do people fall for these things?
I mean, why would you accept "Fred Kruger aka Slasher" as a friend anyway??? Are you that hard up for friends that you don't check who they are?

Here's a few pages that address this situation (and PLEASE I suggest you read them before posting to me "well it might be true" or be prepared to be showered in mockery).

Internet Rumors – How to Debunk Internet Rumors

Why You Should Never Share False Rumors

and let me quote the best reason for NOT reposting the garbage "Every false rumour circulated devalues the extent to which social networking and the Internet acts as an effective method of spreading true information."

We have a useful tool, yep it is fun and all that but it COULD be a valuable tool to us all, if it was used properly. Why do we always destroy what we should enjoy????

I know there are heaps of other pages that explain why NOT to repost the nonsense, bottom line is... if it is real, the REAL people who need to warn you already have.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 10, 2013 1:16 pm  #2

Re: My social media 'pet hate'.

A helpful and informative post. My brother always refers me to Hoax-slayer which seems very reliable on these things. This rumour-mongering is a cause for concern.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera