BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 11, 2015 6:40 pm  #1021

Re: Doctor Who

He's just a lovely guy .

December 11, 2015 6:50 pm  #1022

And Scottish, too...perfect!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 1, 2016 4:08 pm  #1023

I know that in a few hours we're not going to be able to think of anything but Sherlock, but I've just realised I haven't posted about the Christmas Doctor Who!   What did you all think?   I loved it!  I thought it was witty and sentimental.   I've always found the River romance kind of poignant, the way their timelines are out of sync.   It seems to long ago now that River was introduced (and died!). I was glad that this didn't turn into the Doctor saving her, but giving her one last "night" together.   It made me think that for all those years, the Doctor must have had her death in his mind, and thought about that last night.   Anyway, I thought it was beautifully done, with some great lines (my favourite bit was the Doctor finally getting to say that the Tardis is bigger on the inside as it should be done, while River is oblivious!). 

I seem to keep hearing rumours that this year will be Moffat's last (as showrunner - hopefully he'll come back and write?) and Capaldi's last - does anyone kinow if that's true?  This series has to have been one of the best (and it has my favourite episode of all time in it).  I suppose we've still got the next series to look forward to before they go.   They will be a hard act to follow.

January 1, 2016 4:15 pm  #1024

I've heard the latter 2 rumours, too.
I hope neither are true...but hey ho.
Oh and I loved the Special, by the way.
But the reason I'm here, is mainly because of the following:
Hubby and I have been watching some old Who episodes, over the hols.
A few 10, but mainly Matt- as he's my fave.
As some of you know, I'm only a semi-Whovian.
My hubby generally less so, though he seems to understand it all much better than me.
Anyhow, he asked a question and I wasn't certain of the answer and then I had my own question...
He asked me how come Amy could state she couldn't have children, but was River's mother.
I said it's because of the 2 different worlds Amy lives in: the real world and her life with the Doctor...
is this right, or is there something else?
My query was: how come Souffle girl is Osgood Oswald, but then when she became the companion she was Clara?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 1, 2016 7:58 pm  #1025

*bounces*  Oohh...  I know, I know!  Absolutely loved it, and surprised I forgot to post, too!  Had been even thinking up some of the comments I wanted to type in head, including a lighthearted musing towards the fans (a couple of you, I'm not sure how far caught up, now!) that were watching new ones and old ones and that this Special is great either way, but really loses some context unless you at least have seen Forest of the Dead/Silence in the Library first, to know where River 'started' with the Doctor!  Just saying. (and this forewarning is probably belated anyway)

But the Special.  I think one of my top favorites, along with last year's!  Yes, witty, sentimental, poignant, beautiful...  Once it hit me where they were taking us, and getting to see 'that bit' of canon on screen, my eyebrows were raising with bated breath.  And before that!  Adorably hilarious, seeing the Doctor play along and River so crazy and bad-ass.  And yes, like Liberty said, just giving a 'decent ending'.  I only wanted to poke River a couple times for thinking the Doctor couldn't possibly care that much for her back.  I mean... come on!     

And besley!  Yay, I can answer those!  Ok, so going to have to go on the assumption that you've seen pretty much all the Smith era, then?  (for necessary references/spoilers) Because as it was mentioned, River is unusual and partly is who she is because of being conceived in the TARDIS.  Shortly after, Amy was caught up unknowingly in the whole evil behind-the-scenes plot to use her baby against the Doctor, and remember when they met the whatchacallit... fake goo people-clones? ("The Almost People"), they had made a clone of Amy (who wasn't pregnant), and taken the real one, so they could take her baby.  Then that all came to a head and everything was found out, Amy rescued, Doctor 'went to war' and we had the River reveal.
But Amy told Rory in 'Asylum of the Daleks' that she was upset discovering she couldn't have kids again, because of 'whatever they had done to her' as a result of all that.  So River was it.

As far as Souffle Girl goes, we now know all those 'other Clara's' were split-offs of the original Clara Oswin Oswald when she entered Eleven's time-stream in 'The Name of the Doctor'... so maybe there was some memory loss, or tweaks in the names, or she made it up so the Doctor wouldn't completely know it was 'her' yet?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 2, 2016 8:20 am  #1026

On the last point first: ah so it was 'Oswin'.
That's what I thought I'd heard, but wasn't sure.
No I've only seen bits of all of the doctors.
But don't worry, I am spoiler immune!
Thank you, anyway.

January 26, 2016 7:07 am  #1027

January 26, 2016 7:09 am  #1028

Makes sense. And that's pretty much the way it worked when Moffat took over from RTD.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 26, 2016 7:18 am  #1029

Yep.
Understandable.
Though a bit sad, Peter's good.

January 26, 2016 7:34 am  #1030

True. Although I can't wait to see who the new Doctor will be.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 26, 2016 7:43 am  #1031

He has been very good.  Almost too good, because I don't know how I feel about anyone else in the role now!  I wonder if they'll go for another well-known actor, or somebody we hadn't really heard of like Matt Smith (who worked really well, I thought, despite David being a hard act to follow).  Maybe they'll finally go for a woman?

January 26, 2016 8:05 am  #1032

Or if we don't get a black Bond, could we get a black doctor?

February 1, 2016 5:52 pm  #1033

Awwwww... darnit!!   Doctor Who leaves Netflix:  (for the US, at least)
http://www.slashgear.com/doctor-who-left-netflix-so-the-bbc-could-launch-their-own-streaming-service-29424954/

Or......  not?   
http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/01/relax-netflix-isnt-actually-getting-rid-of-doctor-who/

So I wonder what the BBC is doing with their streamed shows, then?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 5, 2016 8:09 am  #1034

Oh god, look at this! John Barrowman talks about Chris Chibnall and that they're in contact (starts at about 3:20) ... oh my god, I would soooo love it if Captain Jack made a return to DW when Chibnall is showrunner...! 
https://www.facebook.com/JohnBarrowmanOfficial/videos/1113536121990142/

February 5, 2016 9:05 am  #1035

Please let that be true! John Barrowman is amazing...

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

February 5, 2016 10:03 am  #1036

Oh yes, he is! And it's about time for him to make a return to DW. I really miss him. 

February 5, 2016 12:30 pm  #1037

That would indeed be great.
I also hope that they don't make the next Doctor a women 
I don't mind if the next Doctor would be black or Asian or Indian or short or fat or old or young but if "he" will become a women then I'll stop watching 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 5, 2016 12:37 pm  #1038

Same here, stoertebeker. I'm already having huge problems with the Master being a woman now. And I know, we're talking about Time Lords and male/female might be too much of a human concept and not really be applicable to the Time Lord universe. Then again... I don't care.

February 5, 2016 5:05 pm  #1039

Why don't people like the idea of female masters/doctors?
Anyhow, I too would love to see John Barrowman againI

February 5, 2016 6:49 pm  #1040

Fingers crossed for the return of Captain Jack! 

I'm quite happy with the current female master/mistress.  I'm sure I could accept the right female Doctor.  Plus it's fun to speculate about who it could be.   My personal favourite at the moment is Frances de la Tour - she'd be fantastic! 

This is incredibly shallow, but if they do go for a female doctor, I wouldn't mind a male "eye candy" companion or two. 

Board footera