BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2015 6:35 am  #821

Re: Doctor Who

Don't worry, Ukaunz, it's got the rest of us guessing too! 

We (UK) get the first episode on Saturday,  In fact, I think Doctor Who has always been on a Saturday here!  I'm glad you don't have too long to wait .

Last edited by Liberty (September 14, 2015 6:36 am)

September 14, 2015 7:19 am  #822

I started watching Dr. Who just last week, that's how fresh I am! Still watching the first series with Christopher Ecclestone. I like him, he's very different from his part in "Fitz".
So, lots to look forward to 😊

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 14, 2015 8:01 am  #823

Now that is fresh!  Welcome, Mrshouse!    If it doesn't give my age away too much, I first watched it when our family got black and white telly!   I was quite excited when Christopher Ecclestone was cast.  I thought he might bring something a little darker and more solemn to the character as the later Doctors had seemed to me to tend to be quite lighthearted and comedic.  In the end, he's my least favourite of the new Doctors, but I still like him. 

September 14, 2015 8:14 am  #824

Thanks
it is entertaining, though I'n not as hooked as I got by Sherlock.
That must have been the former series then, Liberty? Before the remake started in 2005?

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 14, 2015 8:22 am  #825

Same with me, mrshouse. I started in February and watched one series after the other, starting with the Ninth Doctor, and now I am halfway through the first series with Twelve. And I have a lot of fun but still, for me not the same as Sherlock. 

And this is my preference in doctors (so far) in case anyone's interested:

Matt Smith
David Tennant
Peter Capaldi
Christopher Eccleston

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 14, 2015 8:28 am  #826

I'm very much looking forward to David Tennant, I liked him in "Broadchurch" and I hope for slightly better chemistry with Billie Piper.

September 14, 2015 8:41 am  #827

You will not be disappointed. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 14, 2015 9:12 am  #828

mrshouse wrote:

I'm very much looking forward to David Tennant, I liked him in "Broadchurch" and I hope for slightly better chemistry with Billie Piper.

Chances are: David and Billie will break your heart. That's all I'm gonna say.

And that prologue just made me go ???. But I suppose that's what it's meant to do, so...
I have to admit though that I'm not overly excited for S9 right now. Like I said before, I like Capaldi's take on the Doctor, but I do have problems wit the way his Doctor very often seems to view the human race. Ten so often was so excited when he met humans, he loved so many of their ideas and it was so easy for him to acknowledge when they achieved something great. The same was true for Nine and also Eleven. But Twelfth... he sometimes reminds me a bit of Sherlock, and not in a good way, I'm afraid. It's this "I'm clever and you're all stupid"-attitude that I don't like at all. And then there's Clara... *sigh*   

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 14, 2015 9:21 am  #829

Mrshouse, yes, that was before the reboot, when I was a kid.  And then I watched the reboot with my son when he was a child.   So it doesn't grab me in the way that Sherlock does, but there's lots of nostalgia and warm feelings about the series for me.  

I'm not a big fan of Clara, but I love Capaldi - possibly my favourite Doctor of all time.  I know what you mean about him being like the worse aspects of Sherlock, Solar!  But I like that.  Matt Smith was the only one of the new ones that I wasn't familiar with before I saw him as the Doctor, and I was surprised how well he fitted the part, particularly being so young.  I think he had an extremely hard act to follow after David Tennent, but he did very well, and I liked Amy and Rory.

September 14, 2015 9:29 am  #830

I agree, Liberty, I liked Amy and Rory, too. And I guess I liked Amy even better when Rory started to play a more important role in the show.
I could be wrong, but it seems as if Twelve will undergo some slight changes in S9. Well, maybe it's just me hoping for it, but I would really like to see a lot more than just him being nasty and grumpy.  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 14, 2015 10:19 am  #831

I really have no problems with Clara but so far I am not impressed by Danny Pink. Not sure what to make of him. And I think I do not need another threesome even if I liked Amy, Rory, and Eleven. 

September 14, 2015 1:21 pm  #832

Yes, I agree. I'm not sure yet what to make of Danny, either. And I don't need another threesome, either, although I suspect that Moffat would do something a bit different with them than with Eleven/Amy/Rory.
And after all, there is a tradition of threesomes, even if some of them weren't all that obvious. Just think about Ten/Donna/Wilf or Rose and Mickey. And if I'm not very much mistaken there have been quite similar constellations in old Who. What I did like about RTD's DW was that you had a change of combinations of companions quite often... you always had THE companion and then you had Captain Jack, Rose's mother, Mickey, Martha coming back during Donna's era, Wilf... 

September 15, 2015 9:22 pm  #833

If you don't want any spoilers don't click, but here's an episode guide to Series 9!

It looks like all the episodes are paired, except for 9 and 10, perhaps.  And the overarching storyline will be about the Doctor's secret/confession.  I'm intrigued!

I'm a little bit disappointed that Jamie Mathieson only has one episode, cowritten with Steven Moffat.   I loved his work in the last series and I'm delighted to see him back, but hoped he'd have a couple more episodes!

Last edited by Liberty (September 15, 2015 9:36 pm)

September 16, 2015 10:34 am  #834

I haven't looked at any of the spoilers, but all I can say is: I think it's time for a new companion. 

September 17, 2015 6:31 am  #835

Since I'm still a true neonate and working my way through the first series I have no clue what you are all talking about. 
Still, something that came to my mind yesterday: in the very first episode Rose finds out about the doctor and searches for more information. She comes across those old pics from centuries ago with his face.
BUT
Since he is "reborn" every now and then how can it be the same face?

September 17, 2015 7:03 am  #836

Don't forget he's a time lord. He could have travelled to those times and places in his "current" form, before Rose meets him (although looking in a mirror, he does seem to make a comment to the effect that he has recently regenerated). He could also have travelled to those same times and places in any of his other forms, the Doctor's timeline crisscrosses all over time and space.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 17, 2015 7:04 am  #837

Mrshouse, I think it's because he's a time traveller.  There could be evidence of him from any time he'd visit in that incarnation (i.e that wasn't his face two hundred years ago - it would have been an occasion when he'd travelled back with his current face). 

(Crossposted with you, Ukuanz!).

Last edited by Liberty (September 17, 2015 7:05 am)

September 17, 2015 7:16 am  #838

Yes, that is the most probable explanation, thank you.
But still: those pics with his current face would have been preserved then from old times. So how can this guy Rose visits for information have it collected already for some time?
( does my question make sense??)

September 17, 2015 8:01 am  #839

I think I know what you mean.  I think that's the problem with time travel: I suppose when he reincarnated with that face, he'd already been pictured in the past with it, because he'd gone back from the future.   So the guy could have been collecting long before the most recent re-incarnation.    Yes, if he'd been looking for evidence about the Doctor you'd expect he might have come across pictures of Tom Baker, etc.   I'm not sure .. maybe they only used the current incarnation's pictures for the sake of the story, or maybe the guy just discounted any pictures that didn't look like Christopher Ecclestone, not realising it was the same person?

Last edited by Liberty (September 17, 2015 8:02 am)

September 17, 2015 8:14 am  #840

That is better put than I could in my confusion.
Yes, it would be too complicated to present the audience with evidence from the past with lots of different faces from both the past or even worse the future.
And too complicated how the guy would have connected the dots with pics and different persons ( for him).

Board footera