BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2015 9:01 am  #801

Re: Doctor Who

I'm sorry, Hasilein. But I suppose this one is not all that urgent... in comparison to the other ones. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 10, 2015 9:13 am  #802

Youtube worked. On my phone. Well, not the panel. It's too long.
And you're right. My connection to the newest Doctor isn't close anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 10, 2015 9:17 am  #803

Maybe you should watch series 8...? 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 10, 2015 9:18 am  #804

I wonder if saving people is going to be the theme for this next series (as the Doctor questioning whether he was a good man was a theme for the last one).

July 10, 2015 9:28 am  #805

SolarSystem wrote:

Possibly I will... someday.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

July 10, 2015 9:28 am  #806

Liberty, I wonder what that would look like then. Because saving people is basically what The Doctor has always been doing (apart from lots of other things). 

Last edited by SolarSystem (July 10, 2015 9:29 am)

July 10, 2015 9:43 am  #807

gently69 wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Possibly I will... someday.

Well, you might like him. The Doctor, I mean. I do like him. I don't necessarily like Moffat's DW as much as I liked RTD's, but Capaldi's Doctor I like. 

July 10, 2015 10:25 am  #808

SolarSystem wrote:

Liberty, I wonder what that would look like then. Because saving people is basically what The Doctor has always been doing (apart from lots of other things). 

Yes, and he's always basically been a good man.  Obviously, there's going to be a scene where he's going to have state it dramatically (the clip we see), but I wonder if they'll play with the idea throughout the series. 

July 14, 2015 6:20 am  #809

SolarSystem wrote:

Concerning your last question to Susi, Russell, I think she has already seen it now.

But of course… just was so curious after realizing she must have, with reading spoiler comments, and hearing what thought.  As far as story arcs go, that's a doozy, after all! 

Liberty wrote:

Yes, and he's always basically been a good man.  Obviously, there's going to be a scene where he's going to have state it dramatically (the clip we see), but I wonder if they'll play with the idea throughout the series. 

Yes, this.  Sometimes a bit questionable in how he goes about things, but good.  But they did tease us he makes a mistake 'that has cataclysmic repercussions'.     Erm…  hopefully didn't ruin an entire planet or something!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 14, 2015 6:46 am  #810

Russell, I could not find my answer to Liberty but I can tell you I did not know about the solution with River. I had the idea she might be somehow connected to the Doctor, mother or sister, which would not really have made sense because there were hints of her being his wife, but I did not connect her to Amy and Rory. So, yes, I was very surprised and loved the explanation. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 14, 2015 7:30 am  #811

Russell wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Yes, this. Sometimes a bit questionable in how he goes about things, but good. But they did tease us he makes a mistake 'that has cataclysmic repercussions'. Erm… hopefully didn't ruin an entire planet or something!

What I think would be really bad: if he tried to achieve something good and for some reason it turned out all bad. Lots of things are possible. Something that drives Clara away from him? Did a companion ever leave the Doctor because there was a conflict between them? Might not be 'cataclysmic', but then again... for the Doctor it might be.

Last edited by SolarSystem (July 14, 2015 7:30 am)

July 14, 2015 7:06 pm  #812

SusiGo wrote:

Russell, I could not find my answer to Liberty but I can tell you I did not know about the solution with River. I had the idea she might be somehow connected to the Doctor, mother or sister, which would not really have made sense because there were hints of her being his wife, but I did not connect her to Amy and Rory. So, yes, I was very surprised and loved the explanation.  

Cool.     Sorry, just always get curious when hearing of fellow fans catching up to certain big points and didn't see any comments about thoughts.  And that arc was just quite a crazy one to finally throw all the ways River is tied in at us!  Loved it.  Just wish we had more mini-sodes with her!

SolarSystem wrote:

What I think would be really bad: if he tried to achieve something good and for some reason it turned out all bad. Lots of things are possible. Something that drives Clara away from him? Did a companion ever leave the Doctor because there was a conflict between them? Might not be 'cataclysmic', but then again... for the Doctor it might be. 

Hm, yeah…   ruining things (a relationship, causing death or destruction of people/a world) when you were trying to set things right would be cataclysmic to someone like him.  That's what I find interesting about the core of the Doctor - he's a good man, but not a 'boy scout'.  Remember what the Dalek said to him once?  That they were alike?  That scene gave me a little shiver with a bit of truth of it that the Doctor, old and varying as he is, still is a little bit dark sometimes despite always fighting against what he sees as bad.  Maybe he does something that really screws up his or Clara's timeline.  Oh geez, or Gallifrey!  Almost forgot they still left that story floating on the back burner!  Or there's always Missy.           

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 14, 2015 8:04 pm  #813

Russell wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Hm, yeah… ruining things (a relationship, causing death or destruction of people/a world) when you were trying to set things right would be cataclysmic to someone like him. That's what I find interesting about the core of the Doctor - he's a good man, but not a 'boy scout'. Remember what the Dalek said to him once? That they were alike? That scene gave me a little shiver with a bit of truth of it that the Doctor, old and varying as he is, still is a little bit dark sometimes despite always fighting against what he sees as bad. Maybe he does something that really screws up his or Clara's timeline. Oh geez, or Gallifrey! Almost forgot they still left that story floating on the back burner! Or there's always Missy.

Yes, the Doctor is fire and ice. I think there is so much rage and pain and loss in him that sometimes his good intentions get overrun by all these emotions and turn into something... well, if not eactly 'bad' then at least uncontrollable. But that's what makes him so interesting, isn't it? There are some grey areas which can be quite scary. But especially with Ten I always have the feeling that there is so much regret involved... just like 'Rose' said in "The Day of the Doctor".
But I really think that it's time for the Doctor to undergo some loss again...

Last edited by SolarSystem (July 14, 2015 8:04 pm)

August 19, 2015 4:33 am  #814

This is such an amazing video... sums up Doctors 9 to 12 so beautifully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6mjCcf8rU8&feature=youtu.be

August 19, 2015 8:27 am  #815

Oh yes, love it as well. Simple but absolutely amazing.

(Tony Hadley)

August 19, 2015 10:08 am  #816

...and a bit sad... 

August 19, 2015 10:32 am  #817

That's right. Loneliness...

(Tony Hadley)

August 19, 2015 12:02 pm  #818

That is just brilliant A bit of Coldplay never hurts, either

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 13, 2015 8:49 pm  #819

I don't think this has been posted yet:

Not long to go now!

September 14, 2015 4:05 am  #820

Being a fairly new Whovian, I have to admit I have no idea what this scene is about (I'm still playing episode catch-up). Looks intriguing though!

We get to see the first episode of season 9 on the 20th September, here, I'm so glad the wait isn't any longer than that

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera