BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2014 7:41 pm  #601

Re: Doctor Who

Oh yes, Russell, "Everybody lives"... that whole story is one of my favourites so far. 'Dance with her, Doctor, dance with her!' - I'm sure you know at which point I practically yelled that at the television.
I now have two more episodes to go before Rose leaves... it won't be fun, I'm sure. But I guess it must have been so much worse when you watched it without knowing if and when she would leave. That's probably the biggest problem when you come to watch a show like this one so late: you already more or less know when the huge cuts and changes will happen. I'm completely in love with Ten right now... I don't want things to change, but at the same time I know that change can be positive as well. So I intend to enjoy every minute of every episode with him to bits and pieces.

Oh, and: wonderful pic of the new Doctor. Capaldi looks like a true gentleman and pretty cool at the same time.

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 30, 2014 7:42 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 1, 2014 3:22 am  #602

I have to admit, I was never a fan of Eccleston or Billie Piper.  I found that my enjoyment increased considerably after both were gone, and I loved the show even more when Moffat took over with Matt Smith.  Yes, I'm strange, I guess ^^  But Series 5 was absolutely my favorite and still is to this day.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 1, 2014 6:30 am  #603

SolarSystem wrote:

Oh yes, Russell, "Everybody lives"... that whole story is one of my favourites so far. 'Dance with her, Doctor, dance with her!' - I'm sure you know at which point I practically yelled that at the television.  

"It didn't look like talking."  "It didn't feel like dancing."  <g> <g>   Loved that one, too.  And his "Rose?  I'm coming to get you." part. 

Awww… and so close….  Her finale is a heck of one!        Was so torn each time someone left.  But yes, like sj said, some of the later players are just as amazing.  Still uncertainly fascinated by how Capaldi will be… he seems so differently neat.  And that… 'Nethersphere Gatekeeper' lady we just found out about??  Huh.   Here's her promo picture:

(ahem… first thought - wow, she looks like she means business.  Gatekeeper Mary Poppins indeed!  )
(second - wow… cheekbones!  ;D   …and, bright red lips and nails.  umbrella.  yup… DW shares people with Sherlock) 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 1, 2014 6:38 am  #604

Russell, in that first pic you posted of her and The Doctor I first thought 'Oh, Lara Pulver!'. But in the second pic you can clearly see it's not her... but there is a certain resemblance...

I'm really looking forward to Moffat/Matt Smith, but at the same time it seems so far away right now. Especially after I realized just yesterday that there is a whole collection of Specials with David Tennant after S4...! 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 1, 2014 6:57 am  #605

Sorry for throwing this is in but I just found it on tumblr - an interesting nod to Dr Who for all Sherlockians:

http://gloriascott93.tumblr.com/post/90431243476/finalproblem-having-defeated-the-threat-of-the

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2014 8:19 am  #606

sj4iy wrote:

I have to admit, I was never a fan of Eccleston or Billie Piper.  I found that my enjoyment increased considerably after both were gone, and I loved the show even more when Moffat took over with Matt Smith.  Yes, I'm strange, I guess ^^  But Series 5 was absolutely my favorite and still is to this day.

Hm I loved Rose +9th, shame Eccleston left so early.
But I even more loved Rose +10th and I loved the DoctorDonna...
I miss 10th .
I liked Moffat's episodes through the first 4 serieses, but I don't like the Moffat time... I also don't like 11th... got used to him but it is not the doctor to me...
I hoped Moffat would leave after the 8th season but now they announced him for the 9th aswell...

I love Moffat for Sherlock so I thought I would like him at Doctor Who, but I don't .

I also don't like the cut he made... to me it is a different time lord... not the doctor anymore... and every old character missing...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

July 1, 2014 4:35 pm  #607

besleybean wrote:

Apologies in advance, these are just 2 little asides.
1.  Hubby and I were watching Big Bang on loop yesterday.  Sheldon made a quip about grieving the loss of 11 "Doctor Whos"... you'd think he'd know it's "doctors"!

Sheldon would know it's "Doctors," but sadly, while most Americans have at least heard of Doctor Who, most don't know he's called "The Doctor." If Sheldon had just said "Doctors," much of the American audience would think he was talking about his personal physicians. I suppose he could have said, "Doctors from Doctor Who" or something like that though.

Another aside - I was teaching a science summer camp a couple of weeks ago, and we had a science fiction day. We started off the day talking about our favorite science fiction shows, movies, or books. I said mine was "Doctor Who," the kids stared at me blankly until one asked, "What's that?" I told them that they needed to expand their scifi horizons beyond Star Wars. ;)

July 1, 2014 4:58 pm  #608

zeratul wrote:

Hm I loved Rose +9th, shame Eccleston left so early.
But I even more loved Rose +10th and I loved the DoctorDonna...
I miss 10th .
I liked Moffat's episodes through the first 4 serieses, but I don't like the Moffat time... I also don't like 11th... got used to him but it is not the doctor to me...
I hoped Moffat would leave after the 8th season but now they announced him for the 9th aswell...

I love Moffat for Sherlock so I thought I would like him at Doctor Who, but I don't .

I also don't like the cut he made... to me it is a different time lord... not the doctor anymore... and every old character missing...

For me it was exactly the opposite.  I felt that RTD had really pushed Doctor Who away from what it was originally, trying to make it darker and edgier- and that Moffat brought it back to what the show really was.  I wouldn't name any episodes from series 1 in my favorites, but there were a few in 10's era that I really enjoyed...but I could name a ton in the past 3 series, they were all so great.  I also loved that Moffat really did a lot to bring back the old Doctor Who into the new series with different monsters.  I got very, very tired of the Daleks and Cybermen in RTD's era.  Moffat did well not to use the Daleks very much after their overexposure in the earlier series.

I can't wait to see what he has in store for 12, it will be amazing to see a really crazy old man again as the Doctor

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 3, 2014 12:41 pm  #609

Oh, I love to read those different opinions on the different Doctors and showrunners.
Since I am not familiar with the original show I have no idea whether or not RTD pushed it away from it or not. All I have to go on is the new show - and so far I really, really like what I see.
The Doctor saying goodbye to Rose made me cry like I haven't cried ever since TRF and "Third Star" - and I love it when a tv show makes me feel such feelings. Having hilarious Donna in the following episode was so clever IMO, because my tears had barely dried and I already was back to laughing like crazy.

I would agree though that I probably won't miss the Daleks and Cybermen too much as soon as Moffat takes over.

July 3, 2014 6:18 pm  #610

I grew up with Doctor Who, and have mixed feelings about it: sometimes I've loved it, other times, not so much.   But I'm SO looking forward to Peter Capaldi.   I think he has the potential to be the best Doctor yet. 

July 9, 2014 9:05 am  #611

5 scripts of the new season leaked... would you read them?

July 9, 2014 9:09 am  #612

Nope. 

July 9, 2014 9:12 am  #613

Hm... got them and I think I gonna read them... For the experience to see the differences in what they actually did from it...

July 9, 2014 10:06 am  #614

Well, you could always see the differences by reading it after you saw the actual episodes. I wouldn't wanna know any details beforehand, it's the same as with "Sherlock". But enjoy reading it! 

July 9, 2014 11:48 am  #615

Hmm I don't want to know single details beforehand like...

I wouldn't want to know that Mary shoots Sherlock

But when it is the whole story it is not exactely a spoiler to me .
I find it interesting to see the developing process... Read the script like producers, actors and so on do and then see what they have done from that... . We normally do not have the chance to do that.

July 9, 2014 1:36 pm  #616

Not reading them.  Spent this long avoiding all Doctor a Who spoilers because I want to be surprised when it comes back on.

July 9, 2014 6:04 pm  #617

Nope, and nope.   I second what Solar said… why want to be spoiled actually getting to 'see' how it looks being played out, then enjoy reading the differences afterwards?  (also, wonder how in the world that many got online in the first place?)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

July 9, 2014 7:09 pm  #618

I can understand why somebody might want to read them (kind of like how some people might want to read a book before seeing a movie based on the book), but personally? Nope. I plan on avoiding them. Being late to the Sherlock party I had a few things spoiled for me from HLV before I watched it (I tried to avoid spoilers, but I made the mistake of going Youtube to rewatch certain scenes from earlier episodes, and Youtube gave me suggestions with major spoilers right there in the titles), and I felt that it did take away a bit from the episode. I don't want to be spoiled with Doctor Who as well!

July 9, 2014 7:31 pm  #619

I think that nowadays with the internet and everything connected to it, it is more or less impossible to not stumble across any spoilers at all. Some people don't mind, some even seek them out, some try to avoid them completely. I don't mind being spoiled with minor details - although you probably never know for sure whether or not the spoiler you're reading is a minor or major detail. But I'm just not interested in reading whole scripts for several episodes of a tv show I intend to enjoy when it finally airs. I already know far too much about the DW seasons I'm still catching up with right now, so I'd like to keep S8 as much a secret for myself as possible.

Last edited by SolarSystem (July 9, 2014 7:31 pm)

July 11, 2014 8:45 pm  #620

Hey guys - in other fun new news!   http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/first-image-of-doctor-who-premiere-ep-deep-breath/

Man…. he's gonna be a strange, interestingly different doctor!

Board footera