BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2013 10:34 pm  #301

Re: Doctor Who

Love that clip Russell!
I think my brain was screaming 'Doctor Who is on! Doctor Who is on! Oh my god it's the Doctor!' so I was a bit busy to notice any references to Sherlock.

Not related but annoying that in Australia the replay of Doctor Who is on at the same time as Supernatural so now I have to ensure that I see it the first time its played and I can't watch the rerun! Boo!

================================================================

April 6, 2013 11:45 am  #302

Doctor who tonight!!! And that clip is so adorable Russell.

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."
"Well, me and Chinny, we were surprised, but you came looking for us."

April 7, 2013 1:28 am  #303

Sparrow wrote:

Doctor who tonight!!! And that clip is so adorable Russell.

I know!!  I love it… thanks.  Glad I happened to see it when I was searching for a clip of something else about the show.  I do kind of wistfully wish I could understand the whole conversation better, though.  Between not having the best hearing, and different accent to the words, as much as I love my British shows, it's a little hard sometimes without captioning….      

Oh, oh…. but talking previously about the 'easter egg' of that book we saw the kid reading!!  A fellow fan/friend was suprisedly confused when I asked if she noticed how cool it was who the author of the book was.  And she hadn't, so quickly did an image search to find it and show her.  And I found more than I bargained for:
http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/03/31/doctor-who-summer-falls-new-enovel-with-a-link-to-the-bells-of-saint-john-b/

W…… I…. wha?  ;D   Ok, I know it's an old old practice to have real-world 'tie-in' stuff, but some of the ways they do it these days (i.e. not just product placement or fan merchandise) is just pretty freaking cool. I didn't even know they actually made that Melody Malone book from that one episode! And now apparently this one, too…. written by a 'character'…. being read by a character…!?!  ;D  How cutely meta.  And perfectly typical of the people who also made John and Sherlock's websites real.  So cool being a fan of things that keep on giving (and teasing) and having fun with it's fans back.   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 7, 2013 9:51 am  #304

Oh, that's too bad. Lucky me I'm so good with languages. Not only do I understand both British and American acents very well, I can also speak with both and American and a British accent very well. I do have trouble with the Irish accent though. 

AAAAAAaaaahahhhhhh!! That's too much!!! I am so dying for the 50th special. Especially now that we know Tennant is coming back. That really is awesome. 

Did you guys see last night's episode? 

"I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately! With my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad"
"If you really are me, with your Sandshoes and your Dicky bow, then that calculation is still going on."

April 7, 2013 10:57 am  #305

Sparrow wrote:

AAAAAAaaaahahhhhhh!! That's too much!!! I am so dying for the 50th special. Especially now that we know Tennant is coming back. That really is awesome. 

Tennant AND Piper, don't forget!   
And all the other little specials related to past doctors, they've been doing... and the short stories for each doctor, and....  So cool.   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

April 7, 2013 11:25 am  #306

Yes, of couse, Her too. I think the human Doctor and Rose will be the ones to somehow fit into the story. I wonder what will pull them back from their alternate universe. 

April 7, 2013 4:27 pm  #307

Really?  And not, say, them running into an earlier Ten and Rose?  (Of course, that could be a little more awkward, essentially telling them 'hey, you guys 'died'/aren't around now') 

April 8, 2013 12:39 am  #308

Russell wrote:

Really? And not, say, them running into an earlier Ten and Rose? (Of course, that could be a little more awkward, essentially telling them 'hey, you guys 'died'/aren't around now')

The Doctor would know not to ask many questions about his own future though. Surely he always realises that he will at some point regenerate. Although I do like the idea of seeing how alternate universe Doctor and Rose are getting on.

Has anyone heard whether Donna or the other companions will be coming back in some form?

April 8, 2013 8:36 am  #309

Russell wrote:

Really? And not, say, them running into an earlier Ten and Rose? (Of course, that could be a little more awkward, essentially telling them 'hey, you guys 'died'/aren't around now')

I think The Doctor would know not to go to the exact same location in time and space twice. I think it makes more sense that the human Doctor and Rose show up. But we'll see. 

April 9, 2013 6:40 pm  #310

Sparrow wrote:

Russell wrote:

I think The Doctor would know not to go to the exact same location in time and space twice. I think it makes more sense that the human Doctor and Rose show up. But we'll see. 

Oh, but obviously!   Just seemed more likely they'd run into earlier selves that are at least in the same universe, than ones that aren't, unless they did an odd barrier-breaking thing again.  It has happened before that he's run into himself.... I still haven't gotten around to enjoying it, but surely maybe you've heard of the more famous feature-length special they did way back when, 'The Five Doctors'.  Funnily enough to current timing, it was the 20th anniversary special they did, of the first five (with various companions) getting pulled out of their own timestreams and into an incident together, similar to now.

Oh, oh... and speaking of running into former friends, I just noticed someone else has been confirmed to join:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Reunited-Jemma-Redgrave-Returns-for-the-Anniversary-Special
    At first I couldn't recall her, having only seen the actress that one time, but then was all... 'Oh yeah, Kate Stewart!!'

April 9, 2013 8:04 pm  #311

Yeah, but it would be rather cheesy to do it again, don't you think? I think (and hope) Moffat has something cleverer in mind. 

Yes, I've seen. It left me rather indifferent. I didn't much care for her. I mean, not that I didn't like her, I'm just indifferent. 

April 9, 2013 8:31 pm  #312

Sparrow wrote:

Yeah, but it would be rather cheesy to do it again, don't you think? I think (and hope) Moffat has something cleverer in mind. 

Yes, I've seen. It left me rather indifferent. I didn't much care for her. I mean, not that I didn't like her, I'm just indifferent. 

My point exactly!  They crossed the universe barrier once before, with a somewhat plausible reason, I just wasn't sure about them doing the same kind of thing again.  Hence likelihood or not or simply running across his earlier self (which, like The Five Doctors, had rarely been done, and kind of cleverly amusing).  Same reason I'm hoping they have something cleverly fun up sleeve in the same way for Clara, to differentiate from being too like Jack's story (unable to die) or another figure like River (affected physically by the TARDIS and re-living/bouncing all over the place, although her loss of memory is already interesting, making wonder if there's something bigger pulling strings keeping her around).  Gah... I can't wait to see the last ep, thanks to almost-spoiler-ish comments I heard people made, to see more what happens with her.  Sounded great, and sucks to be dependent on a not-in-town friend who actually gets that channel!!

April 9, 2013 8:52 pm  #313

There is. We've seen the Intelligence twice. Both in the Snowmen and the Bells of St John. 

April 9, 2013 9:25 pm  #314

Well, yes, of course.  Snrk... didn't mean to imply completing writing it out of the picture, or forgetting... just idly wondering if that's (the Intelligence) is what it is, or simply one part of, or what.  And what that means for the who/what/why of Clara... I mean... her consciousness kept intact and bounced around... and physical body, too?  And not be a paradox?  Gonna be interesting, at any rate.  But are they ever not, with toying with us?  ;)
And... hm.. trying to remember, do you recall the Nestene Consciousness?  That was kinda similar, just not with people... found myself wondering if any relation, or just how many type 'beings' are around, and how Clara was possible... heh.  But yes, you're right they already set the groundwork for the Intelligence thing.  Creepy intriguing, if 'chose' Clara because knew the Doctor couldn't resist being curious, once ran into.  Good on them, throwing right back into a fun/confusing new story, to not dwell on the loss of the last one too much.  Wasn't the ending, with everyone being put back to 'factory settings', especially the woman in charge, who had been hearing it's 'whispers for so long'... apparently since was a child.... classically Who creepy fun??   

April 10, 2013 8:41 am  #315

Well, I'd say she is a paradox. The TARDIS doesn't like her, rememebr? The TARDIS doesn't like paradoxes. 

I remember the Nestene Consciousness. I rekon there are many kinds of entities even in the real world, let alone Doctor Who. I'd like to see them somehow tie The Intelligence and The Silence. I have a feeling they will because The Silence was left sort of in the wind. What happened to "Silence will fall when the question is asked". I'm not satisfied so they'd better add more to it. 

April 15, 2013 3:22 am  #316

I'm just going to vent here that I missed the first half of last nights episode. We were stuck at my husband's uncles and couldn't get out soon enough. I pretty much flew home! Only to come in half way through and be utterly confused.
Of course to make matters worse the rerun of the episode is on at the same time as Supernatural so I have to decide which to watch. If only I had a TARDIS then I could fix this! **RAGE**

April 15, 2013 5:37 pm  #317

Michele wrote:

I'm just going to vent here that I missed the first half of last nights episode. We were stuck at my husband's uncles and couldn't get out soon enough. I pretty much flew home! Only to come in half way through and be utterly confused.
Of course to make matters worse the rerun of the episode is on at the same time as Supernatural so I have to decide which to watch. If only I had a TARDIS then I could fix this! **RAGE**

Hey!   Awww.... sorry to hear that, and this is probably long after the fact, but...  can't you watch Supernatural the day after on it's network's website (or free Hulu) or not?  I know when I miss an episode of certain shows (except for particular networks), they're pretty good about putting them up, and you could have caught the Doctor, since that's a tougher one to catch in many places.  Heck, at least you've been getting to see....     I've missed the last two because I don't have that channel, and the relative recording for hasn't been able to have me over.   I may just go and buy those two on Amazon and not wait a second longer.....       

April 15, 2013 6:44 pm  #318

Oh, well I'm going to be a devil and say that the last episode was... awesome!! And the trailer for the next one... I think I'll die until Saturday. 

April 15, 2013 8:02 pm  #319

Yes, I know! The next episode looks utterly terrifying!! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

April 15, 2013 8:56 pm  #320

We have the first two episodes recorded from Direct TV. I think we should be able to transfer them to disk. It would be an American disk however so if you are in the UK you won't be able to play it on your machine. When hubby comes home I'll ask if we indeed do have the capability of recording them to disk. 
If I have that ability I'd be happy to mail them to anyone who missed them.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Board footera