BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2013 4:33 pm  #21

Re: But then people do get so sentimental about their pets.

pitagor wrote:

But they're lovely. At least one of them (my little Lumi-Dummy ;-) ), because the other one is a bit spoilt. And doesn't like to be touched and this stuff. Just by my mother. Sometimes I think she hates me... But she's lovely, too. 

I don't have any pets at the moment. But I find this phenomenon very interesting, as I've come across many people who love their cats but feel sometimes their cats hate them. Or will just let one particular family member touch them. Interesting animals, cats. 

Last edited by harleyq (January 8, 2013 3:43 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 7, 2013 7:43 pm  #22

harleyq wrote:

...I find this phenomenon very interesting, as I've come across many people who love their cats but feel sometimes their cats hate them. Or will just one particular family member touch them. Interesting animals, cats. 

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. Think about it.

You know, I don't live far from Salem, Massachusetts, and you know what they did to witches in Salem, Massachusetts. Many centuries ago, they and their black cats were much-feared. Cats can be spooky with their big round eyes, staring at things that aren't there (at least, we humans don't see anything there...) and being so odd. No wonder they so often went to the stake with their hapless female owners, back in the day.

January 7, 2013 8:00 pm  #23

ancientsgate wrote:

Aww, a little tuxedo kitty!  How do you pronounce tui?  I assume TOO-eee? We don't call puss puss here; we call kitty kitty. 'Course my poor old lady cat is as deaf as a haddock these days, so... we can't call her anymore, at least, not if we expect any kind of response.

It's a bit clipped and shorter like Too-e. My friend's cat, Possum, is deaf too, due to old age. I'm always careful around her because I don't want to give her a fright.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

January 9, 2013 11:16 am  #24

harleyq wrote:

pitagor wrote:

But they're lovely. At least one of them (my little Lumi-Dummy ;-) ), because the other one is a bit spoilt. And doesn't like to be touched and this stuff. Just by my mother. Sometimes I think she hates me... But she's lovely, too. 

I don't have any pets at the moment. But I find this phenomenon very interesting, as I've come across many people who love their cats but feel sometimes their cats hate them. Or will just let one particular family member touch them. Interesting animals, cats. 

Yes. You're SO right. 
Cats are just cats... I'm more a person for dogs, but my mother loves cats, and now that I have my little "Lumi" I'm lucky, of course. I mean, when I come home and she's seeing me outside she runs to me like she missed me a lot (I think she just want to be cuddled...), and that's just lovely.
And of course I like them both. Also the one who seems to hate me (sometimes). Even if it make me feel a bit... sad. Because I never did anything bad to her.
But hey, she's a cat. And a very special one. And a spoilt one. Our little Diva. When I look at them both I see the Diva and a little child-and they are sisters, grow up together and all. But very, very different. It's interesting to watch them together, playing or sometimes fighting.
At least I have to admit that cats are lot more "difficult" that dogs from the character, but very interesting to see they way they act. Like... Well. They exactly know what they have to do and still they're having a special, own personality.
Even if I would like to have a dog I'm happy with our pets-we have three gerbils, too, which are bringing happiness in the living room every day with the jumps and plays and the running in the cage. Funny animals, I like them, to watch they all together... Now they're older but still behaving like Kindergarden-children :-D

Oh and I forgot, I don't have a own horse (would LOVE to, but unfortunately not possible), but I work with a little Pony and she's also a "pet" for me. And she has, like my cats, a very special personality. You can do everything with her but still she says it very clear that she has an own mind. I like to be with her. She makes me laugh with everything she do-like my own pets (which live on my home, because I think we don't "posses" our pets, they just "live" with us (what's a bit strange, I know)) do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

January 11, 2013 10:15 am  #25

I've got a cat named Amber A Blue/Cream British Shorthair. She's got a family tree, because she was supposed to be a so called 'prize cat' or something.
Unfortunately her coat had more than one colour, so she would never win a competition. She was the last in her litter to find an owner. They just couldn't find a home for her, so I took her in
They were so desperate that I only had to pay half of the price, and these cats are usually very expensive. I didn't buy her to enter competitions, though. She's just a lazy indoor cat who loves to curl up on the couch, or - very annoying - right on top of my schoolbooks, becuase she loves attention. She's very friendly! She instantly loves every visitor that comes over, and she actually recognizes some of my friends.

She's royalty and she knows it 

Me and my girl, Amber  Spying on the neighbours XD

Last edited by Mell92 (January 11, 2013 11:05 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You look sad when you think he can't see you."

January 11, 2013 2:03 pm  #26

Mell92 wrote:

She's royalty and she knows it

Me and my girl, Amber Spying on the neighbours XD

Oh, look at the two pretty girls!  *loves*  Unusual name, Amber, for a gray kitty, lol. That gray color, in the cat world, is actually called blue, which I think is interesting. Anyway, those are lovely pictures; thanks so much for sharing with us.

January 11, 2013 2:19 pm  #27

Beautiful - both of you!
Seems that I can pack in with my plush pig...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 11, 2013 3:12 pm  #28

ancientsgate wrote:

Oh, look at the two pretty girls!  *loves*  Unusual name, Amber, for a gray kitty, lol. That gray color, in the cat world, is actually called blue, which I think is interesting. Anyway, those are lovely pictures; thanks so much for sharing with us.

Beautiful amber eyes, though.

January 11, 2013 4:10 pm  #29

equiraptor wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Beautiful amber eyes, though.

Ah! You're right, I never thought of that. They really are amber-colored.

January 11, 2013 9:42 pm  #30

My husband and I have two hamsters called Flauschelinchen (which means something like  fluffy, litte thingy) and Herr Grau (which means Mr. Grey, because he's, well, grey).  They live in veeeeeeeeery large cages, otherwise I couldn't bear to lock them up... I love them! But, to be honest, it's sort of a substitute thing as I would much rather have a cat or dog, but it's just not possible in our flat.   So I have to be content with visiting my parents' and the cat they have, until I have my own place... which is not going to happen in the next ten years or so.

January 11, 2013 9:52 pm  #31

I'm a catlady too. I have a black-white tomcat, his name is Willi and he's fat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 11, 2013 10:04 pm  #32

Mary Me wrote:

I'm a catlady too. I have a black-white tomcat, his name is Willi and he's fat.

Haha! That statement is just so matter-of-fact. 
I'd like to have a fat (and old and grumpy) tomcat, too. 
(Also, I've just learned a new word. I never knew a male cat is called tomcat.)

Last edited by Hera (January 11, 2013 10:06 pm)

January 11, 2013 10:31 pm  #33

Hehe, here's a picture:

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 11, 2013 10:48 pm  #34

Mary Me wrote:

Hehe, here's a picture:

He's cute, I like his little half-mustache. Is that his favorite hidey-hole basket he's in there?

January 11, 2013 10:52 pm  #35

Only during the summer time. Now he's sleeping in my brothers bed. Just because it's higher than mine.
Well, cats are going their own ways...

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 11, 2013 10:57 pm  #36

Mary Me wrote:

Only during the summer time. Now he's sleeping in my brothers bed. Just because it's higher than mine.  Well, cats are going their own ways...

For sure. Our cat tells us all the time, "We do what we want to do, you know, and we don't do what we don't want to do." ha  Always using the royal "we", of course, like a true queen.

January 11, 2013 11:04 pm  #37

Hahaha, every cat is its own queen 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 11, 2013 11:29 pm  #38

ancientsgate wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Only during the summer time. Now he's sleeping in my brothers bed. Just because it's higher than mine.  Well, cats are going their own ways...

For sure. Our cat tells us all the time, "We do what we want to do, you know, and we don't do what we don't want to do." ha  Always using the royal "we", of course, like a true queen.

AND we want you to do what we want you to do! Understand??

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 12, 2013 9:20 am  #39

Mattlocked wrote:

AND we want you to do what we want you to do! Understand??

Exactly. Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

January 12, 2013 10:08 am  #40

Call me masochistic, but this is why I like cats a bit more than dogs. Because in general they don't go like :"Yes, master, of course master....."
Actually, when Findus comes home, we are like:"Oh, boss is coming!"

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera