BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2013 6:10 pm  #1

But then people do get so sentimental about their pets.

Hullo together!

I noticed, that many of you do have pets, and i thought it would be nice to know like cats or dogs (or exotic stuff) (I alway find it interesting to know who is a cat type and who is a dog type...) and how many and also funny stories. I mean... I don't know of anybody who hasn't at least got one story to tell about their pet.

I probably added this topic because I absolutely adore my dog!
She's called Sunny and that describes her perfectly.
She is so friendly to everyone and all jumpy and funny when you play with her. But when she manages to seize a place on the sofa she acts all lazy.
Oh I forgot to mention what race she is... She is a Cockapoo (Cocker-spaniel Poodle) Her fur is very bright beige and really fuzzy. She's about knee height and has flappy ears
I totally love her... And I'll stop there, because otherwise I won't stop for ages!

I would love to hear about your pets ;)

MK

January 5, 2013 6:38 pm  #2

Re: But then people do get so sentimental about their pets.

Snoopadoop, the cockapoo, noblest of hounds!   

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 5, 2013 6:49 pm  #3

Mattlocked wrote:

We have a tomcat called Emma (I know, it's a long story) and two female rabbits, Dammi and Charlotte. Dammi is named after my children's beloved primary school teacher.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 5, 2013 6:50 pm  #4

Speaking of noble hounds, I wonder if we are ever going to have a Sherlock adventure with Toby the bloodhound in it? Now, there's a true sniffer dog if ever there was one.   

BTW, I like both dogs and cats but am probably more a cat person.  We have an elderly diabetic tuxedo cat named Josephine.  She needs an insulin shot twice a day which makes it tough if we want to go away - but we've been doing this for over 4 years now and somehow we're all managing.  She's very a mellow girl with a great purr when she cranks it up.

Last edited by KeepersPrice (January 5, 2013 6:50 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 5, 2013 7:44 pm  #5

We have a Springer Spaniel, male, 6 years old called Koby (named after Kobe Bryant but I spelled it wrong!) black and white. Also a 2 year old Llasa Apso/Cairn Terrier cross, female, Rosie, black and white. she is very funny. If two people are standing up, holding a conversation, she comes and stands inbetween them and tries to join in by making funny talking noises and barking. She also likes to sit on a lap but completely upright on her bottom with her front legs in the air. She is absolutely rubbish at coming to call (terrier trait) but the Spaniel is brilliant at this. She also has an embarrassing habit of invading other people's garden when out on a walk.

We did have a lovely fan tailed fish up until a month ago; it was about 10 but it died  .

Also a 25 year old ex-showjumping pony, liver-chestnut, 14.1hh, mare called Annie. She is retired now from competition and has arthritis. She is very cheeky and will try to escape from a field to better grass whenever the opportunity arises. We also have a 9 year old Belgian Warmblood, dark chestnut, 16.1hh, mare called Darly. She is a showjumper but she used to event. She is very, very beautiful (and knows it!)

That's all our animals. Unless you count the kids!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 5, 2013 7:57 pm  #6

KeepersPrice, same here.
I like cats and dogs (and rabbits and birds and squirrels and ..... oh, slightly OT.  )
As kids my sister and me always wanted to have a dog. We had rabbits. And plush dogs. Rather a black poodle.
I have been a volunteer in an animal shelter for many years. Play and feed the cats, let the dogs out, clean the cages.

Later on we had a dog "by mistake". A black Labrador mix. We found him in an animal shelter and were very happy with him for several years. Although he was "mentally disordered" caused by experiences in his youth.. He died of cancer at age of only 8.

Alone in my first flat I had a rabbit, Kira, later I noticed it must be very lonely, so I got a second one, Henry.
Please, NEVER own only one rabbit!!!

When hubby and me bought a house 8 years ago I immediately searched for a cat. Best solution as we are working full-time. Wanted to have a tomcat and finally found Findus. Findus is named after a Swedish childs story "Pettson och Findus".  Love those detailed pictures in the books. And they have strange little animals living under their house - and the chicken meet in their henhouse for a cuppa.... Oh, OT again.
http://www.google.de/search?q=Pettersson+und+findus&hl=de&tbo=d&rlz=1G1ACAW_DEDE518&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IoHoUNykJMih0QWuvYDwAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1008&bih=583#hl=de&tbo=d&rlz=1G1ACAW_DEDE518&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Pettson+och+findus&oq=Pettson+och+findus&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l4.2180.5130.0.5325.18.9.0.9.9.0.187.1243.1j8.9.0...0.0...1c.1.gKQFHv1OLuc&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=ec542594754d03d&bpcl=40096503&biw=1008&bih=583

Findus seems to know that I like cats and dogs, so he behaves like a dog from time to time. Takes us out in the garden to play with a stick or goes for a walk with us through the streets.
He is quite well, except for after having fighted with neighbours cats.... My fear is that we could have a similar problem like KP, very difficult when nobody's home the whole day. But then we'll find a solution.

Quite long post now, seems to be the right subject for me. 

- THE END -

January 5, 2013 8:10 pm  #7

We have a Yorkiepoo called Sukie and a cat named Ringo! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 5, 2013 8:22 pm  #8

Haha....I might just win for most pets/animals.
I have...
A llama, called Zorro(he's black)
13 goats(Genevieve, Marianne, Eleanor, Morgan le Fey, Mazy, Emma, Dreamer, Ebony, Elizabeth Bennett, Oliver, Pip, Jack, and Jill)
A bunch of chickens (mostly nameless, but our roosters are Guido and Mr. Collins)
A pure-bred German Shepherd (Jubilee)
and 4 cats of various colours(Tony, Boots, Megan, and April)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

January 5, 2013 8:30 pm  #9

Puss in Boots??

January 5, 2013 9:01 pm  #10

I was raised with cats, and my mom also kept white albino rabbits for a while. But it was always cats for me.... 

When my husband and I got married, he liked cats but believed they had to stay outside 24/7. Well, we live in the frozen north, and there was no way that was going to fly, so that idea went out the window, post haste.

We've had lots of cats over the 4 decades we've been married, but right now we only have one. She'll be 15 soon, but she's still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, runs the house like a wild thing a couple of times a day for 5 minutes each time, lol. Stays strictly inside. Loves my husband to absolute death, follows him around like his shadow. She's a black and white tuxedo with four white "double" paws, white bib, white whiskers and one white lip, a very pretty ladylike cat except when she's doing the wild woman thing. Her name is Mazda Miata, named that as a kitten by a young SPCA volunteer at the time, who said she was "just a shiny little black sports car of a kitty".  She was, still is, and the name stuck. We just call her the Maz most of the time, but her name at the vet's is Mia. Confused yet? lololol

I also have a black labrador granddoggie, three Rhode Island Red grandchickens, and a gray grandkitty with a cauliflower ear.

January 5, 2013 9:17 pm  #11

SusiGo wrote:

We have a tomcat called Emma (I know, it's a long story)

My aunt has a male cat named Dotty (short for Dorothea, a woman's name). Dotty is littermates with Lou (Louis), and at the time they were named, it was believed Dotty was female. They were named after my grandparents (my aunt's parents). Um... whoops!

Davina wrote:

She is very cheeky and will try to escape from a field to better grass whenever the opportunity arises.

Ponies can be like that! I've never made the time and space to own a horse (or pony), but rode and worked at/with a stable in my youth. The ponies were so mischievous.

ancientsgate wrote:

Her name is Mazda Miata, named that as a kitten by a young SPCA volunteer at the time, who said she was "just a shiny little black sports car of a kitty".  She was, still is, and the name stuck. We just call her the Maz most of the time, but her name at the vet's is Mia. Confused yet? lololol

Oh, that's wonderful! I race Miatas, so love hearing that your cat is named after them! For those abroad, the car is the Mazda MX-5 outside of North America (and is the Mazda Roadster or Eunos Roadster in Japan).

We have two cats, 幽鬼 (Yūki) and Goro-Goro. Unfortunately, the characters for Goro-Goro don't appear to work quite right here, but can be seen in the caption of this photo.

Yūki is about two years old, and was found hiding under a truck, having been chased there by a dog. He was a kitten, barely 6 weeks, at the time. It's believed his mother and littermates were killed by the dog and he was the only one to escape. We wanted to name him something appropriate for a couple of Unix nerds, and decided upon UUOC - Useless Use of Cat. There's a command on Unix machines called "cat", and this command is often abused. But "UUOC" is long and difficult to say, so we wanted something to, well... you know... actually call him. Something vaguely like "you-key" seemed like a reasonable spoken name for UUOC. My boyfriend noted that Yuki/Yūki is actually a Japanese name, with the former being a feminine anglicization, and the latter a masculine one (alternatively Yuuki for the masculine form, if the ū isn't available). So Yūki became an anglicized spelling for his name, and my boyfriend decided to select kanji for his name, as is done in Japan. My boyfriend was able to find characters pronounced the appropriate way that would mean "ghost" - a very appropriate meaning for a white cat who is so skittish he disappears, seemingly there one moment and gone the next!

Goro-Goro was a shelter cat (while Yūki was found by a friend of a friend), and is just over a year old. In the shelter, his name was "Gus-Gus", but this didn't really fit for us. The sweet little kitten constantly purred, though, and purred loudly. On a whim, since our other cat has a vaguely Japanese name, I looked up "purr" in Japanese. From what I could find, it appeared "goro-goro" would essentially mean "purr" - for the purring of a cat, an engine, etc., etc. It's similar enough to "Gus-Gus" to not be a significant name change, and so Goro has his name. He's a brown tabby.

And I am quite sentimental about my pets!

Last edited by equiraptor (January 5, 2013 9:19 pm)

January 5, 2013 9:24 pm  #12

equiraptor wrote:

[ We have two cats, 幽鬼 (Yūki) and Goro-Goro....

Loved the stories about your cats' names. That's so cool that you have a Mazda Miata connection too.

We had a neighbor once who owned a female Bengal kitten named Yurtha. When asked what that was, what it meant, the woman told me, "You know, like that line from Grease-- you're the one that I love!!  Yurtha! I thought that was so cute. The cat, however, was hell on wheels, lol-- whew, she was a handful.

Last edited by ancientsgate (January 5, 2013 9:25 pm)

January 6, 2013 12:30 am  #13

Mattlocked wrote:

Just gigglesnorted into my nice hot cup of tea/nice cup of tea/cup of tea/cup.

Currently at a grand total of 0 pets. Although my parents did used to own dogs/cats/fish etc when I was a child.

I would like to own a malamute, degus or a hedgehog at some point but I unfortunately don't have the time to take care of them because I'm often out working. (Not that I'm complaining you understand )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 6, 2013 2:55 am  #14

Mattlocked wrote:

Puss in Boots??

Actually, she's pre-PiB, but we call her that sometimes anyways...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

January 6, 2013 3:58 am  #15

Lelli wrote:

Hullo together!

I noticed, that many of you do have pets, and i thought it would be nice to know like cats or dogs (or exotic stuff) (I alway find it interesting to know who is a cat type and who is a dog type...) and how many and also funny stories. I mean... I don't know of anybody who hasn't at least got one story to tell about their pet.

I probably added this topic because I absolutely adore my dog!
She's called Sunny and that describes her perfectly.
She is so friendly to everyone and all jumpy and funny when you play with her. But when she manages to seize a place on the sofa she acts all lazy.
Oh I forgot to mention what race she is... She is a Cockapoo (Cocker-spaniel Poodle) Her fur is very bright beige and really fuzzy. She's about knee height and has flappy ears
I totally love her... And I'll stop there, because otherwise I won't stop for ages!

I would love to hear about your pets ;)

MK

I have a Sunny, too. My Sunny is a rescued, female Golden Retriever. She's very sweet and playful.  She loves my dwarf hamsters.

Does anyone know about any pets owned by any Sherlock cast/crew?  I've seen a yellow Lab associated with Andrew Scott. I think Benedict needs a pet, if he doesn't have one. It would love him for who he is, not the celebrity he has become.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

January 6, 2013 11:40 am  #16

Right now Findus is sitting outside at the door, staring through the window at me, waiting that I follow him in the garden to play with him.
Can't resist...... La'erz!

January 6, 2013 11:26 pm  #17

In 2008 when I went to live in NZ a pregnant female cat came to live at my place. She later disappeared leaving a tiny kitten. She's not so tiny anymore and this friend of mine, who's feeding her when I'm not there, is keeping her on a very strict diet. Her name is Tui, like the bird and also because in my native language to call a cat we say "tui tui" instead of "puss puss".

Tui bird (you could see the likeness)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

January 7, 2013 12:13 am  #18

tiharoa wrote:

In 2008 when I went to live in NZ a pregnant female cat came to live at my place. She later disappeared leaving a tiny kitten. She's not so tiny anymore and this friend of mine, who's feeding her when I'm not there, is keeping her on a very strict diet. Her name is Tui, like the bird and also because in my native language to call a cat we say "tui tui" instead of "puss puss".

Aww, a little tuxedo kitty!  How do you pronounce tui?  I assume TOO-eee? We don't call puss puss here; we call kitty kitty. 'Course my poor old lady cat is as deaf as a haddock these days, so... we can't call her anymore, at least, not if we expect any kind of response.

January 7, 2013 11:42 am  #19

Two cats, one of them completely crazy; called Lumi and Tahra. They're white with little "red" spots... They're little princesses amd think that they're chief of the home but... Uhm, I think they really are. But still they're both not ordinary. Sometimes I think they don't know what they are (cats, actually ;-) ) and act like any other thing (human, dog, carpet :-D ). And monsters, of course.
But they're lovely. At least one of them (my little Lumi-Dummy ;-) ), because the other one is a bit spoilt. And doesn't like to be touched and this stuff. Just by my mother. Sometimes I think she hates me... But she's lovely, too. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

January 7, 2013 11:50 am  #20

Mattlocked wrote:

Noble?!? I think noble wold be the last word to describe Sunny XD
She's all fuzzy an wild and jumpy and silly and lazy and ... and ... everything but well behaving or noble...

Mountain Momma wrote:

I have a Sunny, too. My Sunny is a rescued, female Golden Retriever. She's very sweet and playful.  She loves my dwarf hamsters.

Aww! Another Sunny <3

Board footera