BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2013 2:27 pm  #1

Happy Birthday Sherlock Holmes - 6th Jan 1854

159 years old!!!

I baked you a small cake, seeing as you're in hiding and all.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 5, 2013 5:13 pm  #2

Re: Happy Birthday Sherlock Holmes - 6th Jan 1854

Congrats, Sherlock, some people never get old. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 5, 2013 5:25 pm  #3

even if BBC Sherlock acts rather like 15,9 often 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 5, 2013 5:30 pm  #4

Harriet wrote:

even if BBC Sherlock acts rather like 15,9 often 

Like a consulting pubescent toddler?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 5, 2013 5:55 pm  #5

Long live Sherlock Holmes........I  know you'll be here in new incarnations to enthrall many generations to come.........You are simply immortal

January 6, 2013 11:32 am  #6

Happy birthday Sherlock Holmes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 6, 2013 2:00 pm  #7

Happy birthday, dear Mr. Sherlock Holmes! The world's most (and only) beloved consulting detective!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

January 6, 2013 11:01 pm  #8

6th January is Sherlock's official birthday so....Happy Birthday to the great detective:

(Found this on Tumblr. I like it!)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 6, 2013 11:05 pm  #9

Boss, you are late to your own birthday. 

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2494

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 6, 2013 11:17 pm  #10

Ha. I thought it was strange that no one had made a topic yet. I'll just merge this one to the other one. 

January 6, 2013 11:19 pm  #11

January 7, 2013 12:17 am  #12

Aww......  159 and still looking good!!  Maybe a little catankerous with age, but good!  ;D.   So neat.... thanks for making a post about... probably wouldn't have recalled it otherwise!

*passes out cupcakes*

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 7, 2013 12:42 am  #13

Today is also the birthday of one of my good friends.  Is there a reason in canon for January 6th as Sherlock's birthday?  (Sorry if I missed this on another thread).  I'd like to tell her about it when I call her later tonight.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 7, 2013 10:45 am  #14

Well...it's not actually in the canon, so I'm pretty sure someone just made it up. One of the chroniclers like Baring-Gould or someone...

January 7, 2013 10:48 am  #15

OK...this is off Wiki:

An estimate of Holmes's age in the story "His Last Bow" places his birth in 1854; the story is set in August 1914 and he is described as being 60 years of age. Leslie Klinger cites the date as 6 January.

And then later on in the same article:

The fifty-six short stories and four novels written by Conan Doyle are termed the "canon" by Sherlock Holmes fans. Early scholars of the canon included Ronald Knox[41] in Britain and Christopher Morley in New York,[42] the latter having founded the Baker Street Irregulars, the first society devoted exclusively to the canon of Holmes, in 1934.[43]
According to Morley, Holmes's birthday was January 6, 1854.[44][45]
Author Laurie R. King has speculated about Holmes's birth date, based on two of Conan Doyle's stories: A Study in Scarlet and "The Gloria Scott" Adventure. Certain details in "The Gloria Scott" Adventure indicate Holmes finished his second and final year at university in either 1880 or 1885. Watson's own account of his wounding in the Second Afghan War and subsequent return to England in A Study in Scarlet place his moving in with Holmes in either early 1881 or 1882. Together, these suggest Holmes left university in 1880; if he began university at the age of 17, his birth year would likely be 1861.[46]

January 7, 2013 10:54 am  #16

Yes, Christopher Morley was responsible for that.

Here's an interesting article from a few years ago:

The Curious Case of a Birthday for Sherlock

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera