BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2013 3:29 pm  #1

is sherlock an atheist ?

hello again
i was wondering is sherlock an atheist ?

January 2, 2013 3:59 pm  #2

Re: is sherlock an atheist ?

I should think so. I'm not sure if there is any mention of his beliefs or non-beliefs in the canon but judging from his character and scientific attitude I'd say he's an atheist. I don't suppose he's an agnostic because he wouldn't like to admit that there are things he doesn't know. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2013 4:09 pm  #3

Irene Adler to Sherlock in SCANDAL, answering his question: "You think I'm a vicar with a bleeding face?"
"No, I think you’re damaged, delusional and believe in a higher power. In your case, it’s yourself."

So - no atheist. At least, he believes in himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 2, 2013 4:12 pm  #4

Well, but isn't an atheist someone who doesn't believe in god or gods? Or does Sherlock regard himself as a god? 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2013 4:15 pm  #5

Isn't a "higher power" something like a god?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 2, 2013 4:49 pm  #6

I live in hope that he's atheist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2013 5:16 pm  #7

tobeornot221b wrote:

Isn't a "higher power" something like a god?

Well, in a way, but nevertheless I wouldn't call someone a theist if the sole higher power he believed in was himself.

January 2, 2013 5:19 pm  #8

I agree with Susi and the others - atheist.
I mean, he loves to show others how clever he is all the time and calls them idiots.
But just imagine him, standing there, raising his arms, shouting: I! AM! GOD!

no.

He believes in intelligence, cleverness, observation and deducting.

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 2, 2013 5:20 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 2, 2013 5:45 pm  #9

... and remember the cremation scene - dead people don't go to heaven

But notice also the articles we had here before regarding Sherlock being catholic, anglican or even jewish...

Last edited by Harriet (January 2, 2013 5:47 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 2, 2013 5:46 pm  #10

Altho that just shows he doesn't believe in  heaven!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2013 5:48 pm  #11

why although?

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 2, 2013 5:50 pm  #12

Well I suppose in theory one could believe in god but not heaven...strange as it would be.

January 2, 2013 5:54 pm  #13

ah, I see... unusual concept, but ...

January 2, 2013 5:55 pm  #14

Well there's no accounting for...

January 2, 2013 6:00 pm  #15

I personally think he is an atheist.

The comment from Irene was a rather backhanded compliment. (Ok, more than backhanded, it was as close to a literal slap in the face she could muster.) On the one hand he is gifted with his amazing intellect. However he has such overwhelming belief in his abilities that he has no humility about him. Its almost like Irene is offering to teach him humility by pointing out that he's actually not as completely infallible as he thinks. (I'll leave her proposed methods to your imagination/deductions.)

What I want to know is what she meant by 'damaged'. Its clear to anyone with eyes that Sherlock isn't your average man, but damaged?

I wonder what she saw in him?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 2, 2013 6:00 pm  #16

a sherlock holmes fan wrote:

hello again i was wondering is sherlock an atheist ?

Not necessarily. We don't know. His interest in and skills with science and the investigative process certainly don't rule out faith, of course. It's a myth that someone can't have a working faith at the same time as trust and belief in the sciences. One does not preclude the other.

January 2, 2013 6:02 pm  #17

Er, am I missing something?
I just thought she meant the cut on his face...
Unless it's part of the back story we may never get.

January 2, 2013 6:08 pm  #18

tobeornot221b wrote:

Irene Adler to Sherlock in SCANDAL, answering his question: "You think I'm a vicar with a bleeding face?"
"No, I think you’re damaged, delusional and believe in a higher power. In your case, it’s yourself."
So - no atheist. At least, he believes in himself.

I think that comment was an attempt at humor on Irene's part. And anyway, other people don't get to decide who's an atheist and who isn't-- that determination has to come from inside each individual's mind and heart, wholly apart from outward appearances. Conversely, no one can determine who has true faith judging only from outward appearances either. Appearances are deceptive. Or can be.

This is the definition of atheist from my computer dictionary: Someone who does not believe in god; someone who believes that no deities exist

January 2, 2013 6:11 pm  #19

Yeah, I agree with all of that.
We're just wondering if Sherlock calls himself an atheist!

Last edited by besleybean (January 2, 2013 6:11 pm)

January 2, 2013 6:17 pm  #20

If I remember rightly besleybean (which I probably don't, so you have to watch me closely sometimes ) Irene is talking about how disguise is always a self portrait. Which is her reasoning behind turning up starkers to see him. This gives Sherlock almost nothing to go on, he draws a blank every time he looks at her. But she says to him "I think you’re damaged, delusional and believe in a higher power. In your case, it’s yourself."

In her eyes he has told her everything she needs to know about him. Not to mention her job is knowing what makes people tick. Sherlock gets deduced by Irene and he clearly dislikes it (hence the total mental keyboard smash in the same scene as he rushes to prove he's the smartest person in the room.)

Delusional: He thinks he is infallible. He underestimates her.
Believes in a higher power: He believes in himself to the point of being a pig-headed show-off. (But not god in the literal sense of the word.)
Damaged: No idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

Board footera