BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2012 8:30 am  #1

The Guardian: BBC's Sherlock voted top TV show of 2012

Not really a surprise: Sherlock wins Radio Times Poll.
Interesting though: Some negative comments.

"Benedict Cumberbatch. Ugh. Not heroic, interesting, or convincing. Acting is paramount, but physically, the performer should be believable too. This guy hardly fits the role of brain and believable action. Downey was much better. And Jeremy what's-his-name too.
Plus, get a haircut!"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/dec/28/bbc-sherlock-top-show-2012

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 28, 2012 9:02 am  #2

Re: The Guardian: BBC's Sherlock voted top TV show of 2012

First of all, that's great. And well deserved. And as you said, no real surprise. 

You always have people that don't like something and pounce on it the moment it gets praised. So there are some people who don't like Sherlock? What about the millions all over the world who do? Besides, the guys's name is Ryan24. If we deduce that he is male and 24 years old I'd say he's just not the typical target group for the show. He's expecting action after having seen the Guy Ritchie movies and doesn't get enough of this in "Sherlock". And as for the brains - well, I really, really like RDJ (OMG, his eyes, sorry for running off track) but Benedict's more the brainy type, isn't he? 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 28, 2012 9:02 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 28, 2012 9:04 am  #3

Yay for us!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 28, 2012 10:25 am  #4

tobeornot221b wrote:

"Benedict Cumberbatch. Ugh. Not heroic, interesting, or convincing. Acting is paramount, but physically, the performer should be believable too. This guy hardly fits the role of brain and believable action. Downey was much better. And Jeremy what's-his-name too.
Plus, get a haircut!"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/dec/28/bbc-sherlock-top-show-2012

Well we can't all be the tall, handsome, intellectual types can we?

You could ask him to read the books so he could develop an informed opinion... but I don't think he's quite ready for that just yet. 

Edit: Oh lord I've found a better one:

"I'm also a bit saddened that Moriarty was clearly a rip-off of the Joker (though in fairness Doyle's literary version leaves a lot to be desired), and in any case the character gets seriously nerfed in Series 2. That ending is right out of The Dark Knight Returns, too."

Would someone else like to pick this one apart? I'm not sure I know where to begin...

Last edited by Mnemosyne (December 28, 2012 10:43 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 28, 2012 11:52 am  #5

SusiGo wrote:

Besides, the guys's name is Ryan24. If we deduce that he is male and 24 years old I'd say he's just not the typical target group for the show. He's expecting action after having seen the Guy Ritchie movies and doesn't get enough of this in "Sherlock".

Or Ryan was born 1924 - that explains also the haircut claim 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 28, 2012 12:22 pm  #6

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 28, 2012 4:30 pm  #7

Mnemosyne wrote:

Edit: Oh lord I've found a better one:

"I'm also a bit saddened that Moriarty was clearly a rip-off of the Joker (though in fairness Doyle's literary version leaves a lot to be desired), and in any case the character gets seriously nerfed in Series 2. That ending is right out of The Dark Knight Returns, too."

Would someone else like to pick this one apart? I'm not sure I know where to begin...

I can actually understand the comparison between The Joker and Sherlock's Moriarty, to a degree. Both are smart, cunning and crazy. Both employ similar methods to get what they want, providing the means for others to commit a host of crimes, their ultimate goal being death and chaos. However, I think the Joker is far more violent and unhinged than Moriarty. The Joker will kill randomly and violently with his own hands. There's a detachment in Moriarty, where even though he's capable of violence he himself doesn't get his hands dirty. I think of Moriarty as a great chess player with his schemes, moving people like pieces on a board. I think The Joker's ultimate satisfaction is killing.

As far as the ending being right out of The Dark Knight Returns, again I disagree. The Joker had already killed many people before his final confrontation with Batman. And Batman beat The Joker violently, breaking his neck but stopping just short of killing him. Yes, The Joker finished the job himself, so Batman would end up getting blamed for it anyway. Then later in the story arc in a different battle, under completely different circumstances Batman does fake his own death, but I don't think that alone is enough to draw a parallel between the two. Every hero has his villain, they will always share some traits and similarities, but doesn't mean one is a rip off of another. I mean, we could probably go back to Shakespeare if we want to talk story and character rip offs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 28, 2012 4:45 pm  #8

Bear in mind also that the original Sherlock Holmes stories from which most of this is derived Pre-date the Batman stories by a considerable niumber of years. Therefore, if there are similarities, then it cannot be because the writer of Sherlock Holmes copied the ideas of the creator/writer of Batman but rather the reverse may be true.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 28, 2012 5:52 pm  #9

I agree with you, Davina. I'm not a comic book geek and had never heard of those stories. I don't think many people will see any connection to Batman while it is a fact that Moftiss rely on the canon, at least where such important elements like Sherlock's "death" are concerned.

December 28, 2012 10:16 pm  #10

Thank you all, you put it in so many (better) words than I could muster.

I love it when people spot links and similarities but watching people cry out that 'Sherlock copied Batman' is really hurting my delicate sensibilities.

Actually I certainly hope the guy wasn't talking about the film. I don't remember Sherlock faking his own death by <SPOILERS>massive atomic explosion</SPOILERS>

If he was then... *facepalm*

The Joker/Moriarty comparison is not a new one. I'm no expert but I'm pretty damn sure there have been references in the comics themselves (along with the obligatory Batman/Sherlock comparison.) I would even go so far as so say I'm certain one of the creators/artists for the comics cite Sherlock as a significant influence.

*digs around internet* Ah-hah!

Bill Finger recalled that, “As I said, Batman was a combination of [Douglas] Fairbanks and Sherlock Holmes."

It makes sense, then, that they gave their 'Sherlock' a Watson (Robin) and a Moriarty (Joker.)

So yeah, Batman copied ACD; if it was the other way around that would make ACD a time travelling plagiarist... I think we can all see which is the more likely scenario. 

Edit: sorry why is there a link to amazon on my post??? I didn't put it there!  Or does the site just do that from time to time? I wanted to point that out incase someone thought I was advertising... I'm not.

Last edited by Mnemosyne (January 3, 2013 12:34 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

Board footera