BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 27, 2012 5:07 am  #21

Re: My Sherlockian presents

Davina wrote:

Not too shabby and I really liked most of the performances although I found Professor Moriarty a bit...well...dull. A bit more oscillating would have been good. My son was disappointed by the death of Irene Adler.

Yes, I know!  Overall, I enjoyed them as a more action-adventurey-time period version, and all the actors/story was fun.  Except... um, yeah... Moriarty didn't really stand out a whole lot to me (except as his reputation).  Didn't really see a whole lot at all of the old tv series, so not sure what Moriarty was like in those?, and didn't expect the same kind of craziness, but... still....
(on another note, and not comparing here, or saying that there wouldn't be some overlap with specific points in canon, just pointing out with affectionate amusement at the good writers.... isn't it kind of neat how the tv show and the movies have reflected each other a bit with the specific stuff they include? (Irene dying, the 'Fall', SH's note 'come if convenient.  if inconvenient, come anyway', etc...)... heh... I wonder if they talk to each other at all, or if the next installment will have similar elements too...  )

Susigo wrote:

IRussell, unfortunately I don't know any of yours. I heard of Laurie King, will have a look at those. And I enjoyed "House of Silk", too.

Cool... considering how often I heard it mentioned around, it seemed like a well-done one...just wondered.  And I personally have fun losing myself in the King series and fanciful imagining of what happened to Sherlock after he retired (although there've been a few pastiches addressing that) and the fun mystery adventures he and his apprentice Russell get into and how well she keeps the 'flavor' of the period, although I can understand how some alternatively may not like the path she took the character down, or how slow-building the mysteries often are.  But hey, the first one makes for a pretty fun read on it's own, just to try out.  Any experience with the "Casebook" or Lord Wimsey I keep hearing people say they loved?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 27, 2012 8:18 am  #22

I have read all Peter Wimsey novels and like them very much. They were written and are set in 1920s and 30s England. Peter is an aristocrat who solves crimes not only to pass the time but out of a deep-rooted sense of justice. To strangers he sometimes appears like a frivolous amateur dabbling in detection but behind this mask there is a sharp intellect and a big heart. His later relationship with crime novelist Harriet Vane is one of my favourite love stories in literature.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 27, 2012 12:17 pm  #23

Okay, then. I had very, very sherlocky-christmas. My dad is always soo... Yes. He's good in searching christmas presents without that I know anything about all... But this year he was really mean-and in the same way soo lovely!

First there were two fantastic presents of my beloved lelli. I was crying while i unwrapped it... And while reading the very touching card...
There was the fantastic calendar, but... Different. Lelli posted a lot of lovely notes' on it and... Yes. They are so great. I haven't unwrapped the plastic yet because then all this little pink notes wouldn't be there anymore what would be so sad. :3

And then this fantastic, brilliant, amazing candle. I'm terribly afraid of fire and so of candles, too. But this one is too cudly, to amazing, too... Well. I think the picture will explain all!

I think this should show you again what a wonderful person lelli is. 

My parents gaved me two bookend-horses, who are very beautiful, too. But I thought that my father had stolen me a parcel from amazon who I waited ten days (the casbook!). So I was very surprised that i was wrong, because my father every time do this things! But the surprise came after, when I opened the present of my godfather. There were the DVD's of both seasons! I don't know what my father said him-because there was also money, and that's what he said to me, that he would gave me some money if that's okay. Last year he did the same thing and gave me chocolate with that, and the present this year looked exactly the same so I was very surprised. Also he gave me all in a bag from the store where he gets his chocolate from, normally! That was so fantastic!

And then, yesterday, we were invited to the house of my fathers brother, and my godmother gave me some money (which I'll spend probably for sherlock-related things, too  ), and what was very strange: My grandma gave me a present too. I had opened the day before presents from her, like every year there were lot of food in it (jumjum!), so I was very surprised. Well. I have NO idea how my father was able to gave her the Casebook I ordered in Amazon. First I was like "Oh my god", then I jumped from my chair and tried to punch my father  I was so long waiting for it! And everyday I asked him if there was my parcel and he said nop, but that he would ask amazon if there was something wrong and all this things. An it sounded VERY honest!
But, well, that's my father, and I must say that I'm so delighted that I have now this casebook. Well, the people on this family-event looked at me as I were a lunetic when I started crying because of the very last page of the book, and they thougt I was crazy when I started to read it and couldn't stop it, and I giggeled and... Yes. Everyone who has the book too probably will confirm that it's SO brilliant. And sometimes very touching, too.

And then my parents said that next year we'll change my room, and my father said that if I want he'll search a paperhanging like this one in 221b. :3

Aw, nearly i forgotten. I gave myself a present this year. Two SHERLOCKED-sweater and a great T-Shirt [http://www.amazon.de/Spreadshirt-Everything-transport-Frauen-Girlieshirt/dp/B00A71WRAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356610339&sr=8-1] and after have seen the Hobbit this books, which are very beautiful and funny. I wanted to have them in English, but... There weren't. So in German...  But the next ones I'll buy in English, and if there aren't, I'll look on another place for it 

I'm terribly sorry for this long and probably annoying post but I'm still so happy. I mean, yeah, presents are not all (I had this year very special moments with my family, too), but... I don't know. It was all so surprising, and I still can't believe how my family thinks about her daughter who's a freak. Sometimes they're very annoyed of me, but then they show me very clear that what I do is okay and... Yes.

I hope you had great Christmas-days, too. 

Last edited by pitagor (December 27, 2012 12:18 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

December 27, 2012 12:22 pm  #24

Pitagor, I laughed so much at BBC -> sadist! How funny! 

(Your post is just lovely)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 27, 2012 12:35 pm  #25

When I saw this first I was laughiung so much. And I'm still laughing :-) The [west]wood is also a brilliant one. The picture is quite bad to see it, but it's great. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

December 27, 2012 12:56 pm  #26

So sweet! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 27, 2012 1:21 pm  #27

Moments ago, when I was just having a little nap on my sofa, the postman rang twice  and brought me this lovely belated Christmas card ("...wishing all your crazy ones merry Christmas and a healthy New Year with lots of Sherlock") by my son's girlfriend. I do love that chocolate wrapper!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 27, 2012 1:47 pm  #28

Oh that^s so nice! The chocolate wrapper is great. 

December 27, 2012 6:38 pm  #29

Love the chocolate wrapper tobe. And pitagor, you have such a lovely and thoughtful family and friend who will feed your Sherlock obsession. Your pictures and excitement were awesome. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 27, 2012 6:43 pm  #30

Davina wrote:

I've just watched the second one because the boys (including the one who bought it for 'me') wanted to watch it. Not too shabby and I really liked most of the performances although I found Professor Moriarty a bit...well...dull. A bit more oscillating would have been good. My son was disappointed by the death of Irene Adler.

I liked the second even better than the first one. I agree their Moriarty was definitely lacking. All the build up and then poof, he shows up and he's just a guy who talks proper. Their sparring was even lackluster and nobody spars better than Robert Downey Jr. 
Irene Adler's death : best first 5 minutes of a movie ever. I love it for that alone and knew it could only get better. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 27, 2012 8:32 pm  #31

It's because he fancies her- my son, that is! Lol!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 28, 2012 12:12 pm  #32

Now I want to post here as well.

I didn't get so many sherlockian presents, mostly because I bought everything myself, haha.
But my grandmother was funny this year.

She got me yellow spray can. Well, you lot understand what that means, but yeah.....
It's really tempting to spray a smiley face on my wall...
Well, but I am thinking "You're an adult, you can't spray your walls....."

Last edited by Bored Genius (December 28, 2012 12:13 pm)

December 28, 2012 12:15 pm  #33

A yellow spray can? Does she know, did she try to make you tempted, ... oh, this is exciting 
Or does she want you to repair something?

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 28, 2012 12:38 pm  #34

Harriet wrote:

A yellow spray can? Does she know, did she try to make you tempted, ... oh, this is exciting 
Or does she want you to repair something?

Haha, I don't think she knows about the yellow spray can. She just thought I could use it, because I am something like an artist.
But still, I laughed so hard and nobody understood why.

December 28, 2012 12:58 pm  #35

... and of course this belongs to those fan things that are hard to explain to innocent people ... LOL

(And you got yourself a new sig also, I love it, even though it is QUITE distracting  )

December 28, 2012 1:22 pm  #36

Harriet wrote:

... and of course this belongs to those fan things that are hard to explain to innocent people ... LOL

(And you got yourself a new sig also, I love it, even though it is QUITE distracting  )

Oh yes, but it was quite funny on my part, even though everyone thought I'm mad.

Hahaha, yeah. Well, I'm too obsessed with his eyes, so it's perfect for me.
But don't look too long in his eyes or you're lost.

December 28, 2012 4:45 pm  #37

Okay, I don't have a gift story exactly, but my friend sent me a Christmas card, where she wrote the word "Holmes" referring to a brand of space heater she's being forced to use as her roommate is not exactly forceful enough with the landlord to fix the heating problem in their apartment. But, I of course, saw the word Holmes and immediately thought she was referencing my love of Sherlock. 

By the way, I have to add how bummed I am that that Sherlock calendar isn't available here. 

Last edited by harleyq (December 28, 2012 4:46 pm)

December 30, 2012 8:02 pm  #38

So, I finally took some pictures of my Sherlockian presents. I got a load of DVDs and a couple of books:

A new microscope:

And a new violin:

I also got a Playstation 3 with this great new game The Testament Of Sherlock Holmes. It's really cool!

Anyway, I was very pleased. I also had my tickets through for the Sherlock Holmes Society Annual Dinner, which is great news. Really looking forward to that.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 30, 2012 8:24 pm  #39

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

So, I finally took some pictures of my Sherlockian presents. I got a load of DVDs and a couple of books:

A new microscope:

And a new violin:

I also got a Playstation 3 with this great new game The Testament Of Sherlock Holmes. It's really cool!

Anyway, I was very pleased. I also had my tickets through for the Sherlock Holmes Society Annual Dinner, which is great news. Really looking forward to that.

I am insanely jealous... in a good way.. of the lot. I love the gifts I got got for Christmas but your family clearly adore you

@Bored Genius, I agree, very nice sig.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 7, 2013 11:59 am  #40

Today I got a slightly delayed christmas gift from a friend.

She gave me a puzzle with Sherlock (and glee I absolutely love that too and she loves it too so...) but I couldn't solve it yet... I'm still at school so... not the perfect place to solve puzzles... to be puzzled, yes...

Board footera