BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2012 11:18 am  #1

My Sherlockian presents

I suppose I'm not the only one who got Sherlock-associated presents. Here's a pic of mine, I'm so happy. I got the BME (best mousepad ever) and some other very nice things. BTW, the calendar is beautiful, wonderful arrangement of pictures. There's only one place for it in my study - the wall behind my computer. Won't get anything done next year, just stare at the wall. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 25, 2012 12:24 pm  #2

Re: My Sherlockian presents

I got calender, Casebook and Cluedo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 25, 2012 1:00 pm  #3

Stare at the wall and listen to the cd?? 
Was the box a present, too? I love mine so much, it's standing in our way all the time, but I didn't dare to put it somewhere else, yet. 
As hubby and I agreed "no presents!" I only got a dvd  : The last enemy.  *jump*

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 25, 2012 1:00 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 25, 2012 1:06 pm  #4

I got an external hard drive for my data safety - preinstalled all my recent data and - Sherlock 1-2! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 25, 2012 1:07 pm  #5

Exactly. With slightly glassy eyes. 
Yes, it was. It will get its place beside my desk. So I'll be surrounded by Sherlock and the Union Jack on all sides. Let's see what it does to my work. 
Wish you much fun (not exactly the right word for this story) with "The Last Enemy".

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 25, 2012 1:09 pm  #6

You got to be resolute, Susi! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 25, 2012 1:45 pm  #7

No problem as long as there are people urging me to carry on. 

December 25, 2012 1:46 pm  #8

"Back to work, Susi, hush!" (LIke this?  )

December 25, 2012 2:24 pm  #9

Yes, that's good. Tell me that whenever you get the impression I might be dawdling. 

December 25, 2012 10:23 pm  #10

My entire wish list was British/Sherlock. I got The Sherlock Holmes Handbook by Ransom Riggs, a London cupcake decorating kit, a teapot, a union jack mug, t-shirts that I'm going to write Sherlock quotes all over, and when I went outside to take care of my goat, she had a Union Jack collar. And now I'm making gingerbread cookies and I'm going to burn one to a crisp.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

December 26, 2012 1:53 am  #11

Just finishing up Christmas on this side of the pond.  I wasn't expecting anything at all today, but then I found this surprise.  It was an envelope on the tree with the Union Jack on it and when I opened it, this was what a found!  It's for the trip to London in March.  Ben and Martin are waiting for me and we're going out for a night on the town - my treat! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 26, 2012 4:06 am  #12

My cousin, a fellow Sherlockian that I got obsessed, got me this scarf to go with my Sherlock coat:

My life is so awesome right now. I got her a deerstalker, and she thought it was awesome.

And I got this awesome poster for my dorm room next year:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You're so nice
You're not good, you're not bad
You're just nice

I'm not good, I'm not nice
I'm just right
I'm the witch
You're the world" - The Witch, Into the Woods

December 26, 2012 7:21 am  #13

Aww.... so cool, guys.  I must say that, of the two 'sides' of my family, one side tended to go more practical/nice things could use, knowing about the subjects I geek over, but not sure what to get with.  The members of the other side, however. . . . . well... geeked out with Books!!!  <g>

I'm sure some of you will notice at least three of those titles.  <g>
With the bit of monetary gift, I planned on adding the 'Casebook' to the pile, wondering whether it was a good addition.  Anyone who already has it/read it.... what did you think of?   Fun and a really cool look at the familiar cases through their eyes, adding more detail than might know, or, simply an entertaining rehashing with nothing new in it?  And after I got on a kick with Laurie King's pastiches (try 'em, if you haven't!), I started wondering about all the other ones I hadn't heard of over the years, some of which I've heard others on here praise, such as House of Silk, Peter Wimsey, Michael Chabon's The Final Solution, Mitch Cullin's A Trick of the Mind, or Caleb Carr's The Italian Secretary seem to be fan favorites.... or even one of the entire collected canon works... I see tons of inexpensive ones for kindle, but no idea which versions are 'better', if perhaps any of you have experience to speak to particular ones....  oi... Too many shiny things out there to narrow down to not swamp myself with a reading list until a decade from now!!  ;)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 26, 2012 10:57 am  #14

Russell, in order to add a bit to the swamp: "Dust and Shadow" by Lyndsey Faye (an excellent Holmes/Ripper pastiche) and Nicholas Meyer's novels. You wont't have to worry about reading stuff for years to come. 

December 26, 2012 11:59 am  #15

I got the RDJ Shrlock Holmes box set for Christmas. It's the thought that counts. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 26, 2012 5:28 pm  #16

SusiGo wrote:

Russell, in order to add a bit to the swamp: "Dust and Shadow" by Lyndsey Faye (an excellent Holmes/Ripper pastiche) and Nicholas Meyer's novels. You wont't have to worry about reading stuff for years to come. 

Ha... I know!!  Oi.... heard of that one.  Although not the other guy.  But any of the above you enjoyed?  Personally some of them seemed simply lukewarm and not as praised as, say, Faye and Sayers, or that House of Silk one.  Don't suppose you ever read any of King?    She's different, but enjoy losing myself in her version....

And heh, Davina -   Aww...  ;)   Of course.  Those movies were still good, though!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 26, 2012 7:36 pm  #17

Same here, Davina.
When I opened it hubby said:  I know it's not real Sherlock, but I wouldn't mind seeing them!
We've been shopping today and I bought myself:' The Sherlock Holmes school of self-defence, The Manly art of Bartitsu as used against Professor Moriarty.' By EW Barton-Wright.

Last edited by besleybean (December 26, 2012 7:37 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 26, 2012 8:29 pm  #18

I've just watched the second one because the boys (including the one who bought it for 'me') wanted to watch it. Not too shabby and I really liked most of the performances although I found Professor Moriarty a bit...well...dull. A bit more oscillating would have been good. My son was disappointed by the death of Irene Adler.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 26, 2012 8:31 pm  #19

I got a microscope for my experiments! I'm going to set it up tomorrow then I'll take a picture of it to post on here. I also got a Playstation 3, and I bought myself a new violin!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 26, 2012 9:02 pm  #20

Russell wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Ha... I know!!  Oi.... heard of that one.  Although not the other guy.  But any of the above you enjoyed?  Personally some of them seemed simply lukewarm and not as praised as, say, Faye and Sayers, or that House of Silk one.  Don't suppose you ever read any of King?    She's different, but enjoy losing myself in her version....

And heh, Davina -   Aww...  ;)   Of course.  Those movies were still good, though!

Russell, unfortunately I don't know any of yours. I heard of Laurie King, will have a look at those. And I enjoyed "House of Silk", too.

Davina, you just have to forget "our" Sherlock, then you can surely enjoy the films.

Board footera