BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 23, 2012 10:48 pm  #1

Andrew Scott annoyed about unauthorised biography

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 24, 2012 1:21 am  #2

Re: Andrew Scott annoyed about unauthorised biography

Yes, these unauthorized bios are silly and intrusive, usually nothing more than info that has already been printed. But, they're also a good sign that you have reached a great level of success. He can write his own book someday. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 24, 2012 9:04 am  #3

Hereyq, thats right.

But that's also the reason why I prefer autobiographies. If available. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 24, 2012 11:36 am  #4

As a writer (amongst other things) I am painfully aware of the personal feelings of the people I interview/write for. I would not dream of publishing material about someone without consulting them *and* their managers/agents/publicists etc. One wrong word could cost me my job. There may not be procedures set in stone for some cases but it is always good professional conduct to make sure that the material you are about to put out into the wider world meets the expectations of the people who feature heavily in it.

This appears to be rather unprofessional practice. I would die in my shoes if someone I had written for were this upset with what I had written.

I just hope they've got their facts right... because if there are false statements about him in this book it counts as libel... he could sue. (Not saying he would but it's an option.)

Anyone I interview gets treated like a person first and foremost, their career achievements come secondary to that.

*Gets down from soapbox*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 24, 2012 8:17 pm  #5

Wholeheartedly agree. This practice is basically immoral. They are certainly leaving themselves open to being sued for libel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera