BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2012 3:17 pm  #1

"Are you ready?" - "Yes."

In my opinion, John and Sherlock think of entirely different things here.
John, behaving like Sherlock's PA. ("live-in" PA ) has the upcoming court case in mind. With his question, he wants to make sure that Sherlock is well-prepared ("remember what they told you…") and willing to face the press scrum outside 221B.

Sherlock's "Yes" is so out-of-character, earnest and poignant that I can't help but thinking that there must be more to it than meets the eye (or the ear, in this case…).This is all the more applicable because during the court case he doesn't give the impression of being intimidated by the Judge, the Jury or Moriarty – quite the opposite!
There has to be something else he is concerned about.

I think, Sherlock has planned Moriarty's fall cold –bloodedly and from the beginning.
He wants to provoke a public confrontation between him and Moriarty.

In order to achieve this he's willing to give up his former position:

…and attracts the Press' attention by solving exciting cases to get high-profile publicity.
This way he hopes to lure Moriarty out of the underground, excerting pressure on him to
beat him by committing even bigger crimes right through to the "crime of the century".

The over 100 years old, still unsolved Henry Fishguard case helps Sherlock in drawing up his plan: "Bow Street Runners missed everything", means that the public was deceived by thinking H.F. committed suicide rather than having been murdered. Readily useful suggestion for someone who is about to plan his disappearance by making it look like a suicide.

So far, so good.
But there's a little flaw in the system – the name's John Watson.

John expresses his concern: "The press will turn on you.", and he advises Sherlock to "stay out of the news". That's of course just the opposite of what Sherlock has planned.
But somehow he is confused that John cares about him:

Sherlock gradually seems to get an idea of what he is going to do to John. Probably this thought hasn't occurred to him by then.

Before leaving the flat for the trial, Sherlock's thoughtful look in the mirror toward John

expresses that he cares about him as well but that there's no stopping the plan now.

Later, when he is arrested for abduction, everything's still part of the plan. As ever, John sees but doesn't observe:

Once again:

I dare say that Sherlock's "Yes" here means:
"Yes, John – but you have no idea what will happen to us. I'm so sorry in advance. Forgive me."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 16, 2012 4:15 pm  #2

Re: "Are you ready?" - "Yes."

tobeornot221b wrote:

Later, when he is arrested for abduction, everything's still part of the plan. As ever, John sees but doesn't observe:

[/i]

Have you seen that the whole time before he is getting arrested he is holding the camera in his hand? One should believe nothing what he says there: There is a double layer, it´s only made for the man on the other side of the wire.

And also for the rest you have written: I absolutely absolutely agree with you. Have a look here:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2244

Edit: And in the Looking sad-thread I wrote this which again fits in your theory: That´s exactly what I think. The whole beginning is somehow sad (and especially the trial preparations and also the drive to the court). It´s all missing the fun and easiness cases have normally to Sherlock ("I am on fire", "the game is on", "I don´t want to miss this for the world" and so on and so on.....). He is definetely sad and highly concentrated from the beginning on. Which again convinces me that everything what happens in the beginning is already belonging to a plan of Sherlock - to elicit Moriarty out of his web.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (December 16, 2012 4:28 pm)

December 16, 2012 6:00 pm  #3

Wonderfully explained and observed, Tobe. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 16, 2012 6:06 pm  #4

Awwww... I will watch all that again. Tonight? Tomorrow?   Quite soon. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 16, 2012 7:19 pm  #5

Perfectly sound analysis - no "but..." 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 16, 2012 7:35 pm  #6

You make me feel a bit embarassed, girls. Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 16, 2012 10:08 pm  #7

@tobe: I also often thought/think about that door scene and Sherlocks look in the mirror. It always felt peculiar, but I couldn't explain it.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 16, 2012 10:42 pm  #8

I think it also 'feels' strange because it is John asking Sherlock and not the other way around. It is the opposite of what normally happens. Usually Sherlock is the one taking the initiative.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 17, 2012 2:04 am  #9

Wow....  you guys are seriously good to listen to philosophize, sometimes.  I admit at times I was reluctant to place too much omniscience on Sherlock with how much was planned (other than his fall).  Despite intelligence, No way of telling some things... right?? (I mean... how in world could he have anticipated Moriarty's move with Richard Brook, even if it 'helped' his case?)  But it makes sense... it did seem odd he let himself get so in the limelight, rather than refuse to show up, or give the police the credit.  That just adds a whole 'nother level of uneasy fascination to the twisting game they're playing......  with John.. poor, honest, believing, fighting John... in the middle unable to know the whole story or else it wouldn't work.

Are you ready?  (To face the press/to behave in court/to stick together and put Moriarty away properly, without getting too burned)
Yes.   (We're going to battle just as I planned it because I will win this game and do what ordinary people won't even if it means I get completely burned, and I'm sorry for that, John...)
Dang, dude.....

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 17, 2012 3:16 am  #10

I'm so in agreement with you, tobe.  There's a "knowing" from Sherlock right from the start.  The instance of that ominous background thud of a heartbeat sound that comes when John hands him the phone and says, "He's back" starts a pre-conceived, grim plan in motion.  I've always believed both he and Mycroft had been planning 'something' to end Moriarty and his network ever since Mycroft realized Moriarty's obsession with Sherlock. Those scrawls all over the walls in his jail cell at the end of "Hounds' were way over the top and Mycroft realized the obsession presented an opportunity.  I think maybe he went to Sherlock and for once the two brothers cooperated on a mutual goal to bring down JM. Sherlock and Mycroft were waiting for Moriarty to reappear and finish his obsessive, deadly game, but I never thought about all those high profile cases Sherlock was taking on as being a way of luring Moriarty out and pointing him in the direction of using the press.  That was brilliant!

And yes, the flaw in the plan is the sadness this will bring to John; perhaps something Sherlock didn't take into consideration in the excitement and challenge of planning it; or possibly, he did have an idea, but knew the sacrifice needed to be made anyway.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 23, 2012 7:46 pm  #11

A little addition.

More sand in the drive of Sherlock's thoroughly calculated plan:
John's unshakable loyalty. It kicks Sherlock sort out of concept.

Finally, Sherlock's earnest "yes" at the door should be seen in the light of his tears on the roof.
To me: both genuine.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 23, 2012 8:14 pm  #12

I absolutely agree with you, Tobe. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 23, 2012 8:31 pm  #13

Thanks, Susi. 

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 24, 2012 1:31 pm  #14

Well yes, this is basically the theory I proposed soon after it aired here in regards to what he did that was so obviously out of character.
I disagree with your idea that Sherlock's 'looks' to John are ones of sadness however. (Till then I thought it a fairly objective piece posted)
I would be more inclined to believe that the looks and him asking "why would it upset you" (or whatever the words were) were more to do with wondering "How much does John know of my real intentions? has he caught wind of what is going on?". Because had those suspicions been realised, it could have put the whole plan into jeopardy.
Let's face it, Sherlock's & John's loyalties to each other hadn't been tested all that much till now. Nor had the 'prize' at the end been so crucially important really. And if John could guess something was amiss, Moriarty certainly would have also. So there would have been value in ensuring absolute 'secrecy' on this one.

So, as usual, I tend to believe there is a more clinical reason to the looks, the lines that Sherlock uses; it is proven time after time in the canon that he is after all a kind of 'machine' when it comes to his crime solving ways. Why would this series be any different?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

December 24, 2012 4:51 pm  #15

Hey Tobe,

Nice reasoning. I concur with it.

I would stipulate that from the end of 'A Study in Pink' Sherlock devotes his energies to Moriarty. Whilst he was 'waiting' for "Something like this to happen" in 'The Great Game' he didn't have quite enough information to know 'how' Moriarty 'played'. After "The clue is in the name: Janus cars" Sherlock whittles Moriarty down to a particular psychological profile. Thinking he knew Moriarty's character he arrived at 'The pool' only to see that Moriarty is more powerful and dangerous than expected. Add to this the power play that is 'A Scandal in Belgravia' and Sherlock ups his game to the absolute leaving no possibility unturned. This is how he survives the 'fall' because he's prepared for just about anything that Moriarty can throw at him.

The puzzle for me is if Moriarty was indeed 'bored' and suicidal then why would he prolong his agony to entertain Irene Adler instead of die with Sherlock and John at the pool?

There has to be an agency or agenda (Bloody Greek roots!) which is, as yet, untold. If Sherlock is indeed one step ahead of Moriarty (And let's be fair here to Moriarty, he goads Sherlock rather than is bested by him) then he must know more than is shown to us; the audience.

My guesswork leads me to think that Andrew Scott's Moriarty is a representation of a much more divisive plan and that Sherlock must go 'undercover' through death to investigate it further.

Here's hoping that they get to filming the new series soon and that we get a few answers to resolve our queries!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

December 24, 2012 8:04 pm  #16

I agree also with this. The 'Game' is stepped up immediately after the pool incident. Here Moriarty clearly tells Sherlock to 'back off, my dear!' He has also shown that he is prepared to kill as and when necessary with absolutely no compunction. Not just kill, in fact, but to use real people as pawns in the 'Game'.

It seems pretty clear that despite Moriarty's warning/threat Sherlock has absolutely no intention of backing off. It would seem, in fact, that he does quite the reverse.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 28, 2012 1:44 pm  #17

tobeornot221b wrote:

...I dare say that Sherlock's "Yes" here means:
"Yes, John – but you have no idea what will happen to us. I'm so sorry in advance. Forgive me."

What a beautiful post, tobe. Thanks for the memories. The photo stills you included brought tears to my eyes. I love TRF-- it's the episode that changed me forever and the single reason why I'm here in the forum, several months later, still as interested as ever.

December 28, 2012 3:01 pm  #18

So sweet of you, Aggie! Thanks.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera