BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2012 5:46 am  #1

Martin Freeman: 5 Awesome Performances And 5 That Sucked

This article from What Culture is making the rounds on tumblr.  It's an interesting list, though I really can't say that I agree.  My top five on both sides would be almost entirely different.

=======================================================================================================

Martin Freeman: 5 Awesome Performances And 5 That Sucked

We’ll start with Freeman’s best performances…

5. Bruiser (2000)

4. Men Only (2001)

3. The Office (2001-2003)

2. Micro Men (2009)

1. Sherlock (2010-11)

And now on the five performances we’d prefer to forget…

5. Ali G in Da House (2002)

4. Love Actually (2003)

3. The HitchHiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

2. Confetti (2006)

1. The All Together (2007)

source

=======================================================================================================

Agree?  Disagree?  What are your five best/worst Martin Freeman performances?

**edited for copyright purposes.

Last edited by kazza474 (January 2, 2013 4:00 am)

December 15, 2012 10:45 am  #2

Re: Martin Freeman: 5 Awesome Performances And 5 That Sucked

Ah!! I don't have time to read everything right now (have to do that later), but just checked the pics.

The last would've been perfect as forum Christmas decoration (doesn't mean I don't love the current one  )

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 18, 2012 3:11 am  #3

I would first like to point out that What Culture seems to have intended his "worst" list to be more like, "Five things that Martin Freeman was sorta wasted in" (rather than things he was actually bad in).  I've seen four of the five, and agree that he appears to have done as well as could be done, considering.  (One quibble: Freeman's character in Love Actually is a stand-in, not a body double.)  My current Freeman collection consists of fifteen things in which he has a significant role, and which are available on DVD.  (Therefore I have not seen Ali G, Men Only, or Micro Men.)

Here's my (current) list of his most memorable roles (in no particular order):
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
OK, so I don't have this one on DVD (yet), but I've seen it, and it definitely belongs here.  Freeman *is* Bilbo.
Sherlock
Need I say more?
The Office
Tim may well be the best character ever to grace a sit-com.
Bruiser
Virtually all of the best bits feature Freeman.  My own favorites include the Gary & Samantha sketches (wherein the husband is on a different kick every week), the elderly American actor (interviewed by an obnoxious British reporter), and the hyper-active documentary host at an archeological dig.
The Good Night
This is billed as a comedy, but it's at least as much a drama with a thought-provoking philosophical theme.  Freeman gives a really touching performance.

My (current) list of things he might have been well-advised to skip (again, in random order):
Confetti
This does have at least one memorable scene, where Freeman's character lovingly coaches his tone-deaf bride through her musical vows, visibly willing her to hit the right notes.  Another quibble with What Culture:  Apparently the actual reason that Webb & Colman threatened to sue was that certain features of their anatomy had not been pixilated (they played naturists).
The All Together
Mercifully, Freeman is not in many of the really disgusting scenes, and he has a couple of cute scenes with Amanda Abbington.
Swinging with the Finkels
This movie can't seem to make up its mind what it's trying to do.  I would have omitted some scenes, and shown others that are only implied.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
This Hitchhiker is resting on its laurels, which have unfortunately expired.  I will admit to liking it better the second time we watched it, though.  Freeman's best bit may be the Rambo-style "outtake" on the DVD.
Hardware
Nothing wrong with it, really.  But I can imagine this phone conversation:
Producer:  Martin, I want you to star in my new sit-com!
Freeman:  Tell me about my character.
Producer:  Well, could you just do Tim again?
(And the writing is nowhere near as good.)

And my other six DVDs:
Wild Target
Freeman's hit-man role is brief but hilarious (and unlike anything else I've ever seen him do).
Boy Meets Girl
Freeman plays a man who accidentally swaps bodies with a woman (and thus spends most of the mini-series playing the woman in the man's body).  If he'd been given more screen time and more character development, this might have been in my top five.  His performance is exquisite.
Love Actually
Again, Freeman's role is all too brief (but cute).
Nativity
Another improvised comedy by the same director as Confetti -- but this one is in my top six.
The Robinsons
Offbeat sit-com with Freeman's character trying to "find himself."
Nightwatching
Convoluted murder mystery with Freeman as Rembrandt.  Interesting concept, and Freeman plays his part very well.

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (December 19, 2012 12:18 am)

December 18, 2012 5:03 am  #4

"Carol the Dabbler" wrote:

I would first like to point out that the "worst" list above would more accurately be titled, "Five things that Martin Freeman was wasted in."  I've seen four of the five, and agree with the original poster that Freeman appears to have done as well as could be done, considering.

I've seen all five and only one of them would be (and is) on my worst list.  Ali G wouldn't make my top five best performances, but would make my top ten.  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Love Actually, and Confetti are movies that I genuinely love and watch often.

My personal list of the best and worst

BEST
5. The Voorman Problem
4. Bruiser
3. The Robinsons
2. Nightwatching
1. The Office
Honorable Mentions: Round About Five, The Good Night, and Micro Men

WORST
5. Swinging with the Finkels
4. The Debt
3. Dedication
2. The All Together
1. Casualty

I don't feel like I can judge The Hobbit fairly until I've seen the whole thing, but he was very good in the first installment.

December 18, 2012 7:54 pm  #5

Having seen only seven of your thirteen, I can't really compare our lists, but it was a real struggle to fill my bottom five.  In fact, I'd be perfectly willing to re-watch any of them (though in the case of The All Together, I'd insist on having control of the fast-forward).  And if I'd made my lists a week ago -- or a week from now -- they'd likely be somewhat different. 

I'm amazed to see that Sherlock isn't even in your top eight (especially considering that you've joined this forum), but I will admit that I cannot be objective in this matter.  I had never heard of Martin Freeman before watching (entirely by accident) "A Study in Pink," and it was "The Reichenbach Fall" that prompted me to see what else he's been in -- so I'm very grateful to John Watson!

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (December 18, 2012 7:58 pm)

December 19, 2012 12:19 am  #6

I'm amazed to see that Sherlock isn't even in your top eight (especially considering that you've joined this forum), but I will admit that I cannot be objective in this matter.  I had never heard of Martin Freeman before watching (entirely by accident) "A Study in Pink," and it was "The Reichenbach Fall" that prompted me to see what else he's been in -- so I'm very grateful to John Watson!

There are only three things on Martin's IMDB page that I haven't seen and The Reichenbach Fall is one of them.  A Study in Pink as a stand alone episode would be in my top ten.

December 19, 2012 2:32 am  #7

Oh.   Well, you're definitely way ahead of me -- IMDb lists 56 titles that have been released, leaving 40 that I haven't seen!

What are the other two that you haven't seen?

Are you intentionally avoiding "The Reichenbach Fall," or has it simply managed to elude you so far?

December 19, 2012 8:45 am  #8

Wow... you guys are all seriously ahead of me.  Of course, I hadn't heard of Martin or Ben before Sherlock, and probably not that atypical to not be able to run down everything a favorite person has been in...  ;P  But still.  Tend to watch stuff because it catches eye as a whole, although like a typical geek, I /did/ make sure to see War Horse, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and The Hobbit (*so far*) mainly because of them.  ;)   I must admit to being seriously curious, due to both their presence and interesting work, of the Parade's End thing, and, more related, the things I saw of Wild Target looked kinda awesome...  you say his part is kinda brief, though?  As in, just a background character?  May have to try to find... just for the hilarious different-ness of it...

. . .Ahem... ah...  speaking of that, though... and performances with which I am wholly unfamiliar... what in the world is this from???     

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 19, 2012 3:50 pm  #9

That's from the flash-back at the beginning of Nativity, when Freeman's character is a struggling actor.  I can see how you'd be curious!

Freeman is on-screen for maybe ten minutes in Wild Target, but his character is most certainly not in the background -- you can't miss him!

I have yet to see Benedict Cumberbatch in anything besides Sherlock, so you're ahead of me there (not that it's a contest).

Hey, we're next-door neighbors!

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (December 19, 2012 4:16 pm)

December 19, 2012 6:42 pm  #10

Carol the Dabbler wrote:

That's from the flash-back at the beginning of Nativity, when Freeman's character is a struggling actor.  I can see how you'd be curious!

Freeman is on-screen for maybe ten minutes in Wild Target, but his character is most certainly not in the background -- you can't miss him!

I have yet to see Benedict Cumberbatch in anything besides Sherlock, so you're ahead of me there (not that it's a contest).

Hey, we're next-door neighbors!

Ha... yes!  (as a response to most all of those comments)     Thanks.  Heh... yeah, it certainly is a hilariously 'bwuh?' moment to see alone.  And that's kinda what I meant with Wild Target, with the "background-yet-still-there", from the stills I did get to see.  Man, he looks neat in it.  But I see it's another case like War Horse, huh?  I got that movie partly just out of delighted curiosity to see my 'favorite new actor' in something else, and he's only in it for a short time!  TTSS, on the other hand, was quite good, I do recommend.... especially with Ben and Oldman balancing each other's roles.  And frankly, yeah... like I commented earlier, there's the thing of availability of some people's past works, and simply any interest in seeing it as a whole (as unfortunately some things they get put in just suck).  Nightwatching and The Robinsons, did sound intriguing, even with knowing nothing about, though...  will take your guy's words for it.

And yes... thankee for the 'contest' reminder.  I do know/understand that of course... just a small annoying side of my head sometimes feels the need to nudge myself about being 'up' on all the stuff out there like other fans are.  ;PP  But we're all geeks enjoying the same things, right?   And yup!  Right by the border!  ;D

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

December 19, 2012 9:00 pm  #11

What are the other two that you haven't seen?

Are you intentionally avoiding "The Reichenbach Fall," or has it simply managed to elude you so far?

I haven't seen Long Hot Summer or his episode of Picking Up the Pieces.  I've also never managed to track down Not Tonight with John Sergeant, but always forget to 'count' that one because my understanding is that it was not an acting part but an interview segment.

I have intentionally avoided The Reichenbach Fall.

"Russell" wrote:

And that's kinda what I meant with Wild Target, with the "background-yet-still-there", from the stills I did get to see.  Man, he looks neat in it.  But I see it's another case like War Horse, huh?  I got that movie partly just out of delighted curiosity to see my 'favorite new actor' in something else, and he's only in it for a short time!

I love his character in Wild Target.  And for what it's worth, I really liked the movie overall.  Not just the bits with Martin.  I do enjoy Bill Nighy though and I have a twisted sense of humor, so I'm sure that helps.

December 20, 2012 1:38 am  #12

Russell wrote:

... that's kinda what I meant with Wild Target, with the "background-yet-still-there", from the stills I did get to see.  ....  But I see it's another case like War Horse, huh?  I got that movie partly just out of delighted curiosity to see my 'favorite new actor' in something else, and he's only in it for a short time!  TTSS, on the other hand, was quite good, I do recommend.... especially with Ben and Oldman balancing each other's roles.....  Nightwatching and The Robinsons, did sound intriguing, even with knowing nothing about, though...  will take your guy's words for it. .... we're all geeks enjoying the same things, right? ...

It's been a few months since I saw Wild Target, but my recollection is that most of the (brief) time Freeman is on the screen, he's right up front.  Dunno what to make of the stills you mentioned.

What did you think of War Horse, aside from the scarcity of Cumberbatch?  I've heard all sorts of opinions, and would be interested in yours.  I saw a brief clip of TTSS on an awards show, and it looked interesting -- but even though I loved Gary Oldman in the Potter films, I didn't recognize him without his "Sirius Black" hair!

If you haven't already, you might want to check out this forum's threads for some of Freeman's films and tv shows: The Hobbit, of course (lots of threads for that!), Bruiser, Pirates!, The Good Night, Nightwatching, Hitchhiker's Guide, Hardware, and Love Actually.  Several of us have posted some pretty detailed opinions (with generally very few real spoilers).  As you'll see in one of my posts regarding Nightwatching, that and The Robinsons are actually two of Freeman's personal favorites.

Right, us geeks gotta stick together!

whistling in the dark wrote:

I haven't seen Long Hot Summer or his episode of Picking Up the Pieces. ... I have intentionally avoided The Reichenbach Fall.

I love his character in Wild Target.  And for what it's worth, I really liked the movie overall.  Not just the bits with Martin.  I do enjoy Bill Nighy though and I have a twisted sense of humor, so I'm sure that helps.

Thanks!  Now I know what not to ask you about!

I'm really coming to appreciate Bill Nighy, after happening to see him in three movies that I bought because of Martin Freeman -- Wild Target, Hitchhiker's Guide, and Love Actually.

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (December 20, 2012 2:02 am)

December 20, 2012 6:29 am  #13

Bill Nighy is just great. Try to watch The Boat That Rocked if you can. He has also done some really good stuff on BBC Radio, if you can manage to catch any of that too. Of course he is the latest Harry Potter films too- cue Welsh accent.
He is another actor with a very 'unique' voice.

Last edited by Davina (December 20, 2012 6:31 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 20, 2012 6:49 am  #14

Carol the Dabbler wrote:

It's been a few months since I saw Wild Target, but my recollection is that most of the (brief) time Freeman is on the screen, he's right up front.  Dunno what to make of the stills you mentioned.

Yup, that's what I meant.  Very like Ben's brief/forefront moment in War Horse.  Seriously, you woulda laughed... I'm watching the movie, thinking "okay, watching this because curious about Benedict in a different role, but... sure, it's Spielberg... making a 'deep'/'beautiful' war and boy-and-his-horse movie, and it's not bad....  sweet... slow... alright....  . . .Eee!  There!!  It's 'Loki' and 'Sherlock'!!  So cool, as British officers!!!  With the //Cavalry//!  Galloping around with War Horse an... and... wait a minute!  Where are you guys going?!?  You can't leave the movie after only 15 minutes in it!!!!"  *crushed face*    ;DD  ;PPPP   Ha.   Ahem... ;)   (and basically it's good.  just reeeeally slow).  And by 'stills', I of course meant what I had read/seen of the film on IMDB, and being bemusedly intrigued enough by the film as a whole to definitely want to try to somehow catch.... I knew he wasn't a main character, but wasn't sure... but still, cool enough with the other actors they have in it, the crazy story, etc .....not to mention the intrigue of seeing Martin like this:  ;D

Seriously... Cool. ;-)  Oh, and pardon, mods or others, not to get off topic! but just to answer quick, 'TTSS' was /quite/ good.  Granted, of course, if you like cold-war-spy/mystery/thriller things.  But it's Benedict and Oldman and Firth and Hardy who really make it.  All of them really moved you at times and kept you guessing (and all had substantial parts! ;D).  And yes, I came across that Freeman was proud of 'Nightwatching' and 'The Robinsons', which is also partly why I considered checking those, even if don't bother with all the rest.  Those, and maybe 'Bruiser' looks good to see him in comedy, if able to get hold of?  The list, and others here, seemed to praise it consistently?
Of course I've seen the various threads about other works... just don't always have much to add, or to warrant digging it up again....  tend to be a lighter poster.  Although all 'The Hobbit' stuff too.... yes, yes of course....  ;)  After seeing/reading little things here and there about it for months, and seeing pics of all of them, and being the type to not really frequent the theater but so so wistfully curious and deciding this one deserved catching on big screen, was absolutely thrilled to join the masses the other day of those who saw it!  Was so awesome.  Yes, to bring it around,  definitely include with the other performances on an updated version of the thread list in question.  Adorable little hobbitses.  ;)

December 20, 2012 11:28 am  #15

Bruiser is definitely worth it.  Freeman is hilarious, plus he does things in there (e.g., an American accent) that I haven't seen him do anywhere else so far.  Last time I looked someone had all of his bits (which are the funniest anyhow) on You Tube.

If you'd rather have the DVD, and if you have some way of playing Region 2 DVDs (e.g., if your laptop has a region-free player), by far the cheapest way to get Bruiser is from Amazon.co.uk -- when I bought it a few months ago, they had it for -- oh great, can't read my own writing -- no more than 16 pounds (about $24, plus shipping, which wasn't all that much), while on Amazon.com it was $51 (with free shipping -- whoopie!!).  If you prefer watching things on your regular tv, you can also buy a region-free player to hook up to it.  We have one, and it's great to be able to watch things that aren't available on Region 1 DVDs.

Another use for a region-free player is that assuming PBS drags their heels again on Season 3 of Sherlock, you can pre-order the DVD from Amazon.co.uk and they will ship it as soon as the third episode airs in the UK.  We did that for Season 2, and had it in early February, whereas it didn't play on PBS till May!  Besides which, the PBS version has had 8 minutes chopped out.  Per episode.

December 20, 2012 7:40 pm  #16

Carol the Dabbler wrote:

Bruiser is definitely worth it.  Freeman is hilarious, plus he does things in there (e.g., an American accent) that I haven't seen him do anywhere else so far.  Last time I looked someone had all of his bits (which are the funniest anyhow) on You Tube.
<snip>
Another use for a region-free player is that assuming PBS drags their heels again on Season 3 of Sherlock, you can pre-order the DVD from Amazon.co.uk and they will ship it as soon as the third episode airs in the UK.  We did that for Season 2, and had it in early February, whereas it didn't play on PBS till May!  Besides which, the PBS version has had 8 minutes chopped out.  Per episode.

Cool.  Thanks.  More stuff to my long list of books and movies/shows to investigate.  ;pp  ;)   Sigh... but also shoot.  That brings up yet again, the simple availability issue I mentioned previously of watching/finding older/less known stuff of someone "new" or "in a totally different country" you discover and love.  I know, I should hardly complain... I hear about big fans in other countries frustrated it takes our American shows they like ages to get over (or they get over dubbed), so it's mutual.  Just wish it was easier, while still making everyone happy with copyright and funding all that stuff we love.    Although I'm pretty sure I can get Wild Target at least through the library.
And yes, I know that's the 'wonder' of the Internet, with online streaming and you tube.  I -did- find Martin's sketches there... thanks!  The thing is... while those sources are useful (if, ahem.. I know.. not entirely the 'best' way of acquiring what you want to watch), it's very frustrating for people partly hearing-impaired, like me, as none of it is ever captioned like it would be on a proper disc or live tv, so a lot of stuff put up online is not as 'accessible' to us, with catching all the dialogue going on.  And ackk.. god.. don't even get me started with PBS making us wait til May!!!   Vertue said they're trying to work on that for next time, but it was a teensy upsetting to know everyone across the pond got to see it, and everyone over here who had the ability to stream or had themselves set up with region-free stuff got to see it, and having to wait so long.  I've never had to bother, or even know what best to buy, but I may have to finally look into it and go that route, like you did?
Thanks for the suggestions!

December 21, 2012 6:56 pm  #17

My list:
I've only watched Sherlock, sorry. The Hobbit is gonna be this weekend (excited)
I'm really looking foward to seeing Nightwatching.

Hey, *Carol The Dabbler*, I didn't know there was another Carol here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

December 21, 2012 9:51 pm  #18

Russell -- All of the items on my list (except for The Hobbit, of course) are available on DVD.  Several of them have to be ordered from the UK, but that's a simple matter, thanks to Amazon.  I'm reasonably sure that all of the DVDs are subtitled (which I also find very helpful), though I'm not home at the moment, so can't absolutely swear to that.  And yes, that's one drawback to YouTube (that and the smaller screen size).  So a region-free DVD player is the way to go if you've got the space and the money for an extra piece of equipment.

Hey, Carroll!! -- I've only seen one or two of your posts before, probably because I post mostly here in the Martin Freeman section (since I'm also on another Sherlock-related forum for the other stuff) -- so I think we've just been missing each other.  Let us know what you think of The Hobbit!

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (December 21, 2012 10:06 pm)

December 26, 2012 5:57 pm  #19

Carol the Dabbler wrote:

Russell -- All of the items on my list (except for The Hobbit, of course) are available on DVD.  Several of them have to be ordered from the UK, but that's a simple matter, thanks to Amazon.  I'm reasonably sure that all of the DVDs are subtitled (which I also find very helpful), though I'm not home at the moment, so can't absolutely swear to that.  And yes, that's one drawback to YouTube (that and the smaller screen size).  So a region-free DVD player is the way to go if you've got the space and the money for an extra piece of equipment.

Hey, Carroll!! -- I've only seen one or two of your posts before, probably because I post mostly here in the Martin Freeman section (since I'm also on another Sherlock-related forum for the other stuff) -- so I think we've just been missing each other.  Let us know what you think of The Hobbit!

Of course!  Of course..... I know...   just was waxing on the differing availability of things, and that idea of the region-free player getting dug up again after waffling on it in the past (since really, there weren't that many things I badly needed it for).   But I decided to get with the times and get a blu-ray player that was on sale cheap.... but since that got brought up again, now I'm wondering about not simply returning the unopened thing and take the next step up to just buy a region-free blu-ray instead....  I wouldn't even know which one is good to go for, honestly...?

December 26, 2012 8:14 pm  #20

Oh, this is funny -- my husband and I were just having the same conversation.  He says last time he checked (fairly recently), he hadn't been able to find any region-free blu-ray players.  If you find one, please let me know!

At this point, I'm not entirely certain what advantage there would be in getting a blu-ray player.  What advantages do you see?  I have a vague impression that there tends to be more extra stuff on the blu-ray discs, but I haven't really checked into that, and certainly not lately.  Do you happen to know?

In general, any DVD or blu-ray player would suffice, because most things are available in both formats, and in both region 1 and region 2 -- eventually.  But I'm imagining this sort of situation:  Season 3 of Sherlock becomes available in region 2 several months before it's available here, AND the blu-ray edition has 'way more features.  If all I have is a region-free DVD player and a region 1 blu-ray player, do I get to enjoy the region 2 DVD right away (and miss a lot of the goodies), or do I have to wait several months for the region 1 blu-ray?  Gaaah!

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (December 26, 2012 10:03 pm)

Board footera