BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2012 9:33 pm  #1

Christmas Design

Would anybody like a Christmas design for the board? A temporary thing over the festive season?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 5, 2012 9:39 pm  #2

Re: Christmas Design

Uuuuuhhhhhmmm, nope! Thank you 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 5, 2012 10:14 pm  #3

This may make me slightly unpopular but I would absolutely love one!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

December 5, 2012 10:31 pm  #4

Molly Hooper wrote:

Nothing can make you unpopular Molly, dear...

About the decorations, I'm going to be neutral, like Switzerland

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

December 5, 2012 10:41 pm  #5

Oh, some burnt ginger bread men, antlers, camera phones and mankinis could do no harm.

But seriously  : I'm in favour of any surprises no matter what.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 6, 2012 2:10 am  #6

I'm not opposed to anything Christmas. And I'm sure Molly won't either, right?

Last edited by horserider99 (December 6, 2012 3:13 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

December 6, 2012 2:38 am  #7

I'm not opposed to anything generically holiday-oriented, ie not religious in tone.  Unless the images were taken directly from the celebration--if it can actually be called that, cosidering how it ended--at 221B; then religious would be okay.  It's nice of you to ask--thanks!

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (December 6, 2012 2:39 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 6, 2012 4:00 am  #8

I'm not opposed to it, it might spread some holiday cheer for those of us feeling not so much ho ho honess. 

Last edited by harleyq (December 6, 2012 5:45 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 6, 2012 5:33 am  #9

Perfectly fine with me, though of course, there is no such thing as generic holiday-oriented, now is there? 

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

December 6, 2012 10:26 am  #10

Irene Adler wrote:

Molly Hooper wrote:

Nothing can make you unpopular Molly, dear...

About the decorations, I'm going to be neutral, like Switzerland

haha! me too! completely neutral like Switzerland... ^^
I think it would be okay if you don't overdo it... I don't want fairies and reindeers jumping up and down the screen.. but A little bit of snow or something would be okay... If you want to so badly...
But don't come up with wanting easter design or something... cute but not sherlock-like...

December 6, 2012 11:44 am  #11

Tantalus wrote:

...though of course, there is no such thing as generic holiday-oriented, now is there? 

Sure there is!  Images like stars, trees, snowflakes, old-fashioned village/country scenes, sleighs (without reindeer), candles, gift-wrapped presents, people singing in front of buildings.  What I would not want to see is Nativity scenes, Santa Claus, Rudolf, menorahs, dreidels, and such like.  Looking at this, I guess what I'm saying is: Something that is more wintery than just Christmas, since not all board members are Christian.

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 6, 2012 12:57 pm  #12

Personally, I would like the idea of a Christmas/festive design .
I think something non-flashy would be nice, maybe just a change in background colour or the header? Like Sherli, I don't feel anything actually religious is necessary or appropriate, but maybe a little red and green could cheer up the atmosphere without offending anyone's taste or feelings.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

December 6, 2012 1:08 pm  #13

"Quiet, calm, peaceful. Isn't it hateful?" 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 6, 2012 1:15 pm  #14

I'd love to see some Christmas stuff around here! After all, even Sherlock himself let the flat be decorated, didn't he?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You're so nice
You're not good, you're not bad
You're just nice

I'm not good, I'm not nice
I'm just right
I'm the witch
You're the world" - The Witch, Into the Woods

December 6, 2012 1:41 pm  #15

Harriet wrote:

"Quiet, calm, peaceful. Isn't it hateful?" 

December 6, 2012 1:50 pm  #16

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Tantalus wrote:

...though of course, there is no such thing as generic holiday-oriented, now is there? 

Sure there is!  Images like stars, trees, snowflakes, old-fashioned village/country scenes, sleighs (without reindeer), candles, gift-wrapped presents, people singing in front of buildings.  What I would not want to see is Nativity scenes, Santa Claus, Rudolf, menorahs, dreidels, and such like.  Looking at this, I guess what I'm saying is: Something that is more wintery than just Christmas, since not all board members are Christian.

Well, yes, I suppose you are correct there. I like all your suggestions--quite in the spirit of the season, I think. My post was poorly worded, I think. I should have said "there is no such thing as generic Christmas-oriented...".

Christmas has, by it's nature, a Christian aspect to it, even in today's culture. But as a Christian, I don't really claim it as a Christian holiday, simply because it isn't something the Bible directs us to celebrate. I do enjoy seeing nativity scenes, hearing the Christmas hymns, and so forth, but I'm fine too with St. Nicolas (the historical, non-commercialized version of him), reindeer, and all the great wintery stuff Sheri already mentioned.

I'd love to see a kind of "Norman Rockwell" wintery/Christmasy something...

Are we a complex bunch, or what, boss? 

December 6, 2012 3:10 pm  #17

Tantalus wrote:

Well, yes, I suppose you are correct there. I like all your suggestions--quite in the spirit of the season, I think. My post was poorly worded, I think. I should have said "there is no such thing as generic Christmas-oriented...".

Christmas has, by it's nature, a Christian aspect to it, even in today's culture. But as a Christian, I don't really claim it as a Christian holiday, simply because it isn't something the Bible directs us to celebrate. I do enjoy seeing nativity scenes, hearing the Christmas hymns, and so forth, but I'm fine too with St. Nicolas (the historical, non-commercialized version of him), reindeer, and all the great wintery stuff Sheri already mentioned.

I'd love to see a kind of "Norman Rockwell" wintery/Christmasy something...

Are we a complex bunch, or what, boss? 

I do love St. Nicolas. When I was a child I always got my presents on December 6th (today) and to me it was much more important than Christmas (not just for presents related reasons).
Norman Rockwell sounds good.

Last edited by tiharoa (December 6, 2012 3:11 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

December 6, 2012 7:12 pm  #18

Sweeties in shoe day. Not here in the UK although I did it for my kids when they were small.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 6, 2012 7:44 pm  #19

Jayie wrote:

I'd love to see some Christmas stuff around here! After all, even Sherlock himself let the flat be decorated, didn't he?

convincing point! 
Why not? I'll be great, I think. When there's not "too much" of it... Remember, we're a Sherlock-Board 

I'm in favor of it, and I think it's great to ask the community if they want a christmas-design!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

December 6, 2012 8:33 pm  #20

Oh don't worry...I'm not going to go over the top or anything...and I was actually wondering whether I could still keep it Sherlocky...use some screenshots of how they had the flat decorated. No jumping reindeers or flying Santas.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera