BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2012 3:30 pm  #1

Holding Hands to Support Principal (only slight Sherlock conncetion)

Sorry if this was in the wrong category, I wasn't sure exactly where this one should go.

My school newspaper teacher told me about this earlier, and I thought it was really cool and had a tiny bit to do with Sherlock, so I decided to post it here: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/04/students-rally-in-support-principal-who-ordered-teens-to-hold-hands-as/

Apparently, Principal Richards of this high school was confronted with two students who had been fighting. Going against school policy, he gave them a choice: they could either be suspended as per the rules, or accept an alternate punishment of holding hands for an hour. They went with the latter option, someone snapped a picture, and it went viral.

The school district got involved and started hinting that Principal Richards might get fired for going against school policy. In a show of support for their principal, on Monday the students of the high school walked around school holding hands. Is that an awesome show of loyalty or what?

And the name of the high school?

Westwood High.

(yes, that is the pathetically meager Sherlock connection that I found. But as soon as my teacher told me the name of the school I was grinning like an idiot. And the story's sweet and awesome.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You're so nice
You're not good, you're not bad
You're just nice

I'm not good, I'm not nice
I'm just right
I'm the witch
You're the world" - The Witch, Into the Woods

December 4, 2012 3:42 pm  #2

Re: Holding Hands to Support Principal (only slight Sherlock conncetion)

That's a nice and interesting story. Wonder what would happen if more people got creative in finding "punishments" like this. And hats off to the students who supported their principal. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 4, 2012 4:26 pm  #3

My school had something known as 'the daylight rule'... Where if a teacher couldn't see daylight between you they would physically separate you. The rule was created to stop over amorous couples from getting too comfy but some pedantic gits started applying the same rule to friends who were linking arms or holding hands.

Hurray for holding hands

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 4, 2012 5:19 pm  #4

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it might concern the "holding hands" (I know they were just handcuffed) of John and Sherlock, but i got surprised, although I looked for the connection until the Westwood end ^^(Westwood! <3)
I to think that's an interesting idea and I wonder how well it works... I can't imagine myself holding hands for an hour with somebody I had a fight just now and even less when there are two boys involved but I can imagine how soothing it is...
Our school would need a rule to separate over amorous couples... they're everywhere! It's gross...

MK

December 5, 2012 9:18 pm  #5

That's a really cool story.

I'm gonna move this to Current Affairs, seeing as it's a news story and only a small Sherlock connection, but good job for finding it...I like that principle!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 6, 2012 10:10 am  #6

Found today how humilated the boys felt - from what I read here, I thought it was funny, but now not anymore...
One is even ditching school due to embarrassment 
And can you imagine what kind of jokes the other kids made? Probably not the kind of jokes we'd find tolerable - two young guys being laughed at for holding hands...

http://www.kpho.com/story/20224198/principal-forces-high-school-boys-to-hold-hands-as-punishment-for-fight
One of those young men is 14-year-old Charles Crockett, who admitted to ditching classes at the Mesa school Thursday because he said everyone was still teasing him about it. ... The two locked palms for about an hour in the middle of campus during lunch while the entire student body witnessed their humiliation. "I thought it was, like, really funny because you never see that nowadays. They're just sitting there. They're both, like, so ashamed and their heads down," freshman Stella Nunez said.
"They was making fun of me and everything and I just wanted to yell at them but I couldn't. I just put my head down," Crockett said.
The choice to hold hands was painful, he said.
"They did get laughed at. And that's a hard thing for a kid to be laughed at," said parent Terri Egger.

Last edited by Harriet (December 6, 2012 10:30 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 6, 2012 2:56 pm  #7

Maybe the platform was wrong... I meand most 14 year olds are really immature (and I know what I mean!) and they just won't get it's a punishment... It's not like they did it because they wanted to (even if, it wouldn't be a bad thing)...
but I would rather hold hands than be suspended from school...
I hope the guys won't get bullied any more... Mobbing is a general problem and I think many pupils have been there...
I still think the idea of the punishment isn't bad but it might need improving...

Board footera