BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2012 4:32 pm  #21

Re: ChristmasChristmasChristmasChristmasChristmasChristmasChristmas!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Guess what happened today?? We had a SNOW-DAY! No school for a whole day!!!
Sadly, there wasn't enough snow to go sledging or even have a snow-ball fight but we just watched telly and had mince-pies and cocoa. I also had some German biscuits...

It was finally like a proper december-day!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

December 5, 2012 6:34 pm  #22

Molly Hooper wrote:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Guess what happened today?? We had a SNOW-DAY! No school for a whole day!!!
Sadly, there wasn't enough snow to go sledging or even have a snow-ball fight but we just watched telly and had mince-pies and cocoa. I also had some German biscuits...

It was finally like a proper december-day!!!!!

Hum, I love these German Spekulatiun biscuits!
Sadly, I don´t like Christmas. When I was a child, there was a hard time at home during Christmas and I somewhat lost the magic charm it can have especially on children. But as I have my children who are still small and believe in "our" Father Christmas, I follow everything what is traditional in my country - for them and for their joy above all.

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

December 6, 2012 10:33 am  #23

Santa Clause is Finnish. Other countries just stole the concept from us and created their own 'versions'. Often when I see a picture of Santa, it reminds me of Coca-Cola. So thank you americans. Ha. Nowadays when someone asks about Finland I say what I've always said. Nokia cellphones, sauna and Santa. But now I'd have to add Angry Birds as well since pretty much everyone knows those.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

December 6, 2012 10:35 am  #24

Uh, but Saint Nikolaos was from western Turkey? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 6, 2012 10:47 am  #25

It's all lies. Lies I tell you. Turkey schmurkey.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

December 18, 2012 2:57 pm  #26

Maybe there are some who don't know the video - I like it very much:

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 18, 2012 3:18 pm  #27

Dramagod wrote:

Santa Clause is Finnish. Other countries just stole the concept from us and created their own 'versions'. Often when I see a picture of Santa, it reminds me of Coca-Cola. So thank you americans. Ha. Nowadays when someone asks about Finland I say what I've always said. Nokia cellphones, sauna and Santa. But now I'd have to add Angry Birds as well since pretty much everyone knows those.

Racecar drivers... "If you want to win, employ a Fin," as the saying goes. The country produces some amazing drivers, and IIRC more champions per capita than anywhere else.

Oh, right, Christmas... I generally can't be bothered. I do miss a few of the hymns from church (I was raised Catholic, but am an atheist). I do appreciate the reason to bring family together, and the decorations bring joy, but I dislike the seemingly obligated gift-giving.

December 18, 2012 4:15 pm  #28

Love the flash mob choir. What a lovely idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 18, 2012 6:59 pm  #29

Anybody done any Sherlock-related Christmas stuff yet? Snowmen, gingerbread houses(221B,anyone?), or anything? I was so tempted to burn a gingerbread man the other day, but as I was cooking with my little brother, I figured I shouldn't, as it is a bit....morbid.

Last edited by horserider99 (December 18, 2012 7:03 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

December 20, 2012 9:56 pm  #30

Not really an answer to horserider99 but I wanted to say it anyway

Yay! I've been wrapping presents all evening! While doing so I listened to ma favorite Christmas music and I enjoyed feeling like Santas pixie ^^

But now my entire room is covered in little bits of paper and sticky-tape...

Today I was christmas shopping and I fell in some sort of shopping-trance. I lost count (little Sherlock quote there) and I had to leave some stuff at the cashier, because I didn't have enough money on me ^^''

Christmas changes something in me, sometimes I can't stop smiling :D

December 21, 2012 6:37 pm  #31

I'm glad Christmas is having such a positive effect on you Lelli. I'm afraid I'm being a bit of a grinch this year. No cards, or presents or anything. And, given how I'm feeling, I'm even of a mind to stay home Christmas day and not travel to visit the family. Just not feeling very festive this year. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 21, 2012 6:46 pm  #32

My older sister and I have been working on wrapping presents this week as well and our recreation room is a mess.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

December 21, 2012 7:09 pm  #33

My family have bought gifts for each other this year... I don't appear to have bought anyone anything.

Thank you Amazon in advance for making me look a total tit in front of my family on Christmas day. It's not really Amazon's fault, it's mine. I won't go to town for Christmas shopping, the crowds are frightening and the queues are tedious. Every time I see a toddler throwing a tantrum I think 'That's going to be me in 5 minutes if I don't get out of here.'

I'll make it up to them during the sales.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

December 22, 2012 5:42 pm  #34

Mnemosyne: I don't like big christmas sale either... but I was just in the local convenience store. If you know where to look and what to do with what you find that is more than enough ;)
I like doing something special (even if it's just a little bit) than buying something all christmasy that isn't personal.

Horserider: Should have seen my room! XD wrapping paper everywhere and sticky-tape too. I think I used almost all the sticky tape there is in our house.

Harleyq: I understand you. We'll stay home too. As for meeting the family on christmas: to much effort, since all our siblings live in Germany... And they would all feed us with delicious cookies and we would have to roll home ^^

Who it may concern:
I ran around school all friday distributing all the presents for my friends and I felt like a postman ^^
I have recieved some sweets an a handpainted card and a folded Origami flower. Not much, but when somebody you love gives it to you it's worth more than anything else <3
After all I enjoy giving, and all the searching, wrapping, writing and stuff while I imagine they're happy faces, when my friens get it.
That sounded so... kitschy ... but hey... It's christmas! :D

December 22, 2012 6:34 pm  #35

Very true Lelli, the meaning behind the gift means more than what the gift is.

I have been banned by members of my household from even looking at the gifts people have bought me but I can probably guess what most of them are. They won't even let me weigh them to hazard a guess (spoil-sports.)

And in a rather amusing turn of events I have an elderly resident in my home who is trying to make me wear a set of felt reindeer antlers with bells on them (of all things.) Do I detect a mature closet fan in my midst? Or am I seeing things that aren't there?

The most heart-breaking moment I ever had with gifts was when I was in my late teens. I had spent weeks getting a gift for someone I considered a close friend (it was an out of print book.) Only for them to hand it back to me the second they unwrapped it saying 'it's nice, and I said I wanted it, but I'm not going to take it.' More than implying that they would have accepted it off anyone but me...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 22, 2012 7:13 pm  #36

I like Christmas, too. All of it, the feeling, the atmosphere, the family, the peace... Dunno. Christmas at ours is so incredibly "normal" but still so lovely.

I'm very bad in searching and finding presents, and this year I had so much stress that I was not able to get all my presents on time, what makes me really angry and sad-but, I'm going to do it like the Spanish-People (the big present-giving is on 6th January)... But it's always so sad when someone gives you a present and you must say that the present for this person is not finished/ready yet... (Sorry again, lelli. I'm a very bad person... :-/ )

But when I've got good gifts I'm everytime so happy and I can't wait to gave it to the persons who they are for. My brother, as example, I bought him a book of a series he like much, and I'm sure that he'll be very delighted when he gets it-I SO like giving presents. I mean, when someone give me something that's great and all, but it's also fantastic to give something to someone you like.

There are so many friends who give me little things, but things who're so touching and... Dunno. Creative, perfect. It's not important how big, how expensive something is, it's just how the person give it to you... Aww. :3 I like this little things which are given from the very heart.

I've just decorated our Christmas-tree, and even if we put lot of silly things on it and it doesn't look very beautiful it makes the house so different, the whole atmosphere changes. It's amazing to watch the changing in the family, too. Yes, Christmas is a time of peace, and in my family that's so clear. And I SO like it. We have our little Christmas-Traditions, at 24th December we go to the zoo, and I can't wait for Monday when we go again. I think that we never missed a year to going there... Last year we went to Spain, then we get to the zoo a few days before-but still... :-) In these things we're a very silly, boring family. But I like it, when we're like an ordinary, normal, peaceful family.

Last edited by pitagor (December 22, 2012 7:16 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

December 22, 2012 11:06 pm  #37

Nothing silly or boring about it Pitagor, it sounds lovely. 

I am so bad at presents I have forced everyone I know to give a list to me. I'm not a mind-reader (despite rumours to the contrary.)

December 23, 2012 1:22 am  #38

Mnemosyne wrote:

The most heart-breaking moment I ever had with gifts was when I was in my late teens. I had spent weeks getting a gift for someone I considered a close friend (it was an out of print book.) Only for them to hand it back to me the second they unwrapped it saying 'it's nice, and I said I wanted it, but I'm not going to take it.' More than implying that they would have accepted it off anyone but me...

Wow, that is so sad Mnemosyne. I can't imagine why anyone would be so insensitive. But, hopefully that hasn't put you off gift giving, as I'm sure there are many people in your life who do appreciate the effort you make in finding them something special. And, there's nothing wrong in working from an asked for list, none of us are mind readers. 

I've really become more of a birthday gift giver, as finances just don't allow me to splurge on everyone at once. So, I'd rather save for their special day ya know?

And, it looks like I might be forced to travel for xmas after all. I'm feeling a little better and my brother keeps calling me asking me if I'm coming. I'm starting to feel bad if I don't go. I honestly didn't think anyone would miss me. There is some talk of inclement weather, so I will keep an eye on that and it may possibly be cause for me not being able to drive anywhere.

I love reading all your stories about the little holiday traditions you all have. They're so sweet and wonderful and special. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

Board footera