BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2012 4:38 am  #1

CHOCOLATE

...I get the impression that we have some slightly chocolate-crazed people on here.
So...
#1 - What is your favourite kind of chocolate? Mine is definitely 75% dark chocolate.
#2 - What is your favourite chocolate combination? I'm a die-hard chocolate chips and almond butter fan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

December 1, 2012 8:45 am  #2

Re: CHOCOLATE

#1 Dark chocolate at least 75% cocoa
#2 Does Toblerone count?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 1, 2012 1:09 pm  #3

My family owned a candy company, so growing up I was surrounded by chocolate.  I never, ever got tired of it.  Dark chocolate is indeed the favorite - although as a kid I liked milk chocolate better and stayed away from the chocolate covered fruit and nuts.  Now it's a different story.  My tastes have become more sophisticated and my favorite is dark chocolate covered crystalized ginger, also dark chocolate covered cherries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 1, 2012 5:52 pm  #4

I wish dark chocolate was my favorite as well, since it's so much better for you. And, I have scoured and will continue scouring the globe for a dark chocolate that's not so very bitter. But, alas I am a milk chocolate girl. As for the chocolate combo, I'm going to say chocolate and peanuts/peanut butter.

Man, this thread really makes me want to have some chocolate now. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 1, 2012 8:24 pm  #5

Haha, I live in Switzerland, the country of chocolate!
And I LOVE it!
I'm sorry to say it but swiss chocolate is sort of better than almost everything I ate any where...
I like chocolate in all kinds and variations. I love whit chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, chocolate with nuts, chocolate with rhubarb (sounds weird but is delicious) I could go on for ages.
I think almost everybody is in to chocolate (especially girls)
It's christmas soon so there will be loads of chocolate!
Anticipation!

December 1, 2012 8:56 pm  #6

I think you are right about Swiss chocolate, Lelli.  There is nothing finer on the face of the earth - Dutch chocolate is also very good.  Actually, any European chocolate is better than most of the crap that passes for chocolate in the US.  We should be ashamed of ourselves.... 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 1, 2012 9:54 pm  #7

I know. Our chocolate mostly consists of milk and flavoured. Blech. My favourite brand(from round here) is definitely Theo chocolate.
And I just remembered that my favourite bar type is salted almond dark chocolate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

December 2, 2012 2:11 am  #8

It's true, all the best chocolate comes from Europe. Belgium and Switzerland are great chocolatiers. It's pitiful that we in the U.S. can't do better.    But, as least we can import them and still be able to enjoy them.

Last edited by harleyq (December 2, 2012 2:12 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 2, 2012 8:48 am  #9

Talking of chocolate have you read the book by Joanne Harris, or seen the film, Chocolat?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 2, 2012 5:51 pm  #10

I've read the book, haven't seen the film though. I really enjoyed it Is the film good?
As for the questions, I love all types but dark chocolate is definitely my favourite For the combination, it has to be caramel.

December 2, 2012 6:08 pm  #11

I've come to like 85% cacao chocolate if it's pure chocolate.
Ginger, Whisky, Grapes in Rum, Hazelnut, Almonds, and Truffles of most kinds.
Fair trade for better taste and enhanced joy.
Zotter from Austria is a wonderful company with lots of incredible flavors.
No champagne, no cornflakes, no chili.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 2, 2012 8:48 pm  #12

Davina wrote:

Talking of chocolate have you read the book by Joanne Harris, or seen the film, Chocolat?

I haven't read the book, but I have seen the movie. One of the few more traditional roles Johnny Depp has played. All things being relative for Johnny Depp.

December 2, 2012 10:55 pm  #13

#1 Either coffee-chocolate or ferero rocher
#2 Probably plain chocolate and bread (bit boring but I like it!)

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

December 3, 2012 3:46 am  #14

I absolutely love dark chocolate (I even like the cheap stuff like Dove and such). The best I think I've ever had is 77% Hachez from Germany.

As far as combinations, I've yet to find anything that doesn't taste better with dark chocolate, though I particularly like it with fresh strawberries, dark coffee, and semi-dry red wine (though I rarely drink wine).

I have rarely found milk chocolates that I like just by themselves, though good milk chocolate is okay with nuts, etc. And white chocolate, well, isn't.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

December 3, 2012 4:29 am  #15

Dark Chocolate  of course,  especially from  Ghiradelli Square in San Francisco, CA.   YUM!!   I've been there and seen how they make the chocolate.   no,  they won't give me the recipe.   

Fudge is what I LOVE  to make at this time of year.   My  favorite combo  is  those Andes Mint chocolate squares.   Of course there's mint and chip Ice cream.   And reeses peanut butter cups!!   

I'm  dreaming of a Chocolate treat!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

December 3, 2012 2:10 pm  #16

I'm from Swizerland-of course I like chocolate! Lindt and Giandor are two great ones, now on Christmas, our home is plenty FULL of them... My favorites are the Lindor-"Balls". And "Toblerone" of course...
In Spain we also eat a lot of chocolate (spanish-chocolate, urgh), but no one of us really like it, so my father began to keep some chocolate with him...But now our Spanish-Family knows that we always have such great chocolate with us, and they also eat of them-now the whole town knows that when the Swiss-Guy (my father) is there, there's a lot of fantastic chocolate... He always keep lots of them with him. In the car, in our room... One day there was a chocolate bar on the toilet (!!), and I've no idea who put it there! :-)
I also like the Dutch-chocolate (at least the one I ate...), but, it can't compete with our good, old swiss-chocolate! ;-)

Uhm, I LOVE the white chocolate, sometimes better than the normal... But dark chocolate isn't really my thing! :-D

Last edited by pitagor (December 3, 2012 2:11 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

December 3, 2012 2:41 pm  #17

My Mom love the Lindor-Balls
i prefer the "normal" Lindt chocolates (i'm looking forward to the big chocolate box i will get to christmas from my granny ),
Lindor are too substantial for me
My Mom gave me an Advent calendar full of Heilemann chocolates, very tasty too

December 3, 2012 5:14 pm  #18

Davina wrote:

Yes, I have seen the film and I think it's great ^^but I always get hungry watching films with chocolate in it :3

Oh Lindor-Balls (it sounds sort of wrong to say Lindor-balls, but anyway...) I love them! i can't get enough of them. And now it's finally christmastime and they sell them everywhere and I can eat chocolate until I blow up (speaking of healthy nourition)

harleyq took up the chocolate of belgium and My dad was there once and brought some with him and it didn't taste as good as our chocolate but maybe he just brought the wrong one...
And after all I am quite spoiled concerning chocolate... I think most swiss people are...

December 3, 2012 5:24 pm  #19

Yes, Lelli, Schwyzer Schoggi is definitely world champion - no doubt. 
Most of our German chocolate are poor relatives to the Swiss chocolate family. I dislike "Milka" whole heartedly!
But I'm very fond of the Austrian "Zotter" stuff, especially the white chocolate called "White Goddess".

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 8, 2012 10:43 am  #20

Yaaaay! I got a box full of Lindorballs for the 6th of december :D (I got it today.... but it was worth waiting, because I also got a Sherlock calendar :D )

Board footera