BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2012 7:09 pm  #1

Article: The Evolution of Sherlock Holmes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 1, 2012 1:36 am  #2

Re: Article: The Evolution of Sherlock Holmes

Interesting ideas there.  And the comments about the merits of each version of Sherlock were also interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 1, 2012 4:09 am  #3

Re: Article: The Evolution of Sherlock Holmes

I would agree with much of the analyses made here. The three incarnations are accurately described, when it comes to their strengths and their weaknesses in regard to Doyle's canon. And, it's especially on the nose when it comes to this whole trend to make characters "darker" and grittier. I love Downey's Sherlock, but the whole boxing he-man thing is a bit over the top for me. I will say it did suit Chris Nolan's new Batman incarnation, as he'd always been a dark figure and never really portrayed accurately on film before. But, now they seem to doing it with the new Superman, which I don't agree with. You don't always have to damaged and tortured to be an interesting character.

Last edited by harleyq (December 1, 2012 4:09 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

Board footera