BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2012 10:41 pm  #1

Addict

How did the taxi driver know that Sherlock had been an addict?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 6, 2012 1:31 am  #2

Re: Addict

I can't remember what he said to him now...? But presumably he would have been given the information by Moriarty.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 6, 2012 2:36 am  #3

He says "I bet you get bored. A man like you, so clever. But what's the point of being clever if you can't prove it? Still the addict, but this .. this is what you're addicted to. You'll do anything, anything at all to stop being bored" All the time he talks, Sherlock looks at the pill and starts bringing it to his mouth.

He says he is an addict, but not what kind.
He's addicted to not being bored.

There are many kinds of addicts.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 6, 2012 1:14 pm  #4

He's addicted to the thrill of the chase.

March 6, 2012 1:50 pm  #5

I assumed that Moriarty had told him as well, so he already knows a lot about him?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 6, 2012 2:00 pm  #6

He has eyes and ears everywhere!

March 6, 2012 6:44 pm  #7

Link to infiiltration of the police!? Seems likely, especially with the assassin there watching Lestrade in The Fall.

March 6, 2012 9:14 pm  #8

Yeah, he already has corrupt police working for him...that's how he did the Pentonville thing.

March 6, 2012 9:46 pm  #9

So how deep does the infiiltration go?

March 7, 2012 7:59 pm  #10

I think he must have people near to the very top who are corrupted, or easily blackmailed into working for him.

March 7, 2012 10:09 pm  #11

That's what I am thinking too!

August 17, 2012 2:58 am  #12

Back to the original topic -

Remember how Shelock tells John to shut up and then gives him a look when John is telingl Lestrade that he can search the whole apartment (flat) and not find anything? I thought it was obvious that there was something to find. I suppose Sherlock might have some illegal substance around for scientific analysis, but I don't think that was it. Also, what were Mrs. Hudson and John searching for in Scandal when Sherlock said he hoped they hadn't upset his sock index?

August 17, 2012 4:27 am  #13

That topic is discussed more thoroughly HERE

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 29, 2012 1:00 am  #14

Maybe he's addicted to more than the thrill of the chase...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"So I'm filling in for your skull..."

October 5, 2012 7:03 pm  #15

He has certainly been a drug user, addiction?  I don't know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2012 7:51 pm  #16

In the pilot, when the cabbie stabs Sherlock's arm with the needle, what he says to him here makes it sound like he was definitely addicted to some sort of drugs in the past. He is now addicted to his work and the thrills it brings. It's scary there is a corrupt person working in the police force. Wonder if they will still be there in Season 3.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 5, 2012 7:58 pm  #17

Isn't it also in ASiP when the cabbie says: Still the addict?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 5, 2012 9:06 pm  #18

^ People could take that two ways though as seen in this thread. He could be saying "still addicted to solving crimes/not being bored?" or "still addicted to something though not drugs anymore?"

I truly think Sherlock was addicted to drugs but is now addicted to his work. Could be wrong though.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 6, 2012 11:16 am  #19

In the original canon Sherlock did more than experimenting with drugs, he had become an addict:

"Watson knew better. In The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter  (published in 1904 and dated to December 1896 (14) in Holmes’s time) Watson tells how he gradually weaned him from the drug mania but relates that “I was well aware that the fiend was not dead but sleeping; and I have known that the sleep was a light one and the waking near in periods of idleness . Again, this reflects current models of addiction, which document low probability of complete abstinence over the long term. "

Sherlock continued to successfully manage the addiction though as far as I remember, eventually abstaining from taking his beloved 7% solution.

July 9, 2013 6:22 pm  #20

The fact that Lestrad knew Sherlock for 5 years, and knew to look in the flat for drugs indicates (to me) that Sherlock was known to have been a junkie - others have theorized that Lestrad is a bit of a father figure, and was at least in a small way involved in getting Sherlock clean.
Notice how careful Sherlock was to say that HE was clean.  Lestrad knew to ask if the flat was.

Could be he used the drugs to either numb him to the overwhelming data that the real world throws at him all the time, or to help him pin point his focus on a mystery.  Depends on which drug he chose.

(The bits in Hound were hilarious - saying he needed something 7% stronger (the dose of cocaine he used in cannon) and looking in the slipper for his cigarettes - where he stashed his cocaine in ACD.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

Board footera