BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2012 3:11 am  #1

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope all my non-American friends here can join in the celebration of giving thanks. The very fact that any of us is able to be on this forum (freedom, use of our minds and fingers, electricity, health, common sense--hey, you wouldn't be a Sherlock fan if you didn't have that, etc.) means we have much to be thankful for.

Without being silly, let me say I'm thankful for the mental stimulation and just plain "smart" fun that is Sherlock.

I know that not everyone on here will necessarily appreciate it, but I would like to quote our first (greatest?) president when he called for a national day of thanksgiving many years ago:

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness. Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be."
—George Washington

What are all of you thankful for?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

November 22, 2012 3:27 am  #2

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Wow, that was a great quote Tantalus, thank you so much for sharing it. It really brings the spirit and meaning of tomorrow back into focus.

I'm thankful for my health, my family (both the DNA one and the ones I chose), my friends, my job and all the little things that bring joy into my life each day. A really good slice of pizza, a unexpected kind word when you've been rushed and stressed, a great hair day. And, all these things, great and small, I thank God for. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 22, 2012 8:37 am  #3

Firstly happy Thanksgiving to everyone 'over there'. You are, of course, completely correct Tantalus. We all have an enormous amount to be thankful for. Thank you for giving us this timely reminder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 22, 2012 8:54 am  #4

I wish all our American friends and members a Happy Thanksgiving and hope you've got a lot of wonderful things to be thankful for. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 22, 2012 5:14 pm  #5

I'm thankful for it being a holiday so I can sleep in(yay!), my amazing family that puts up with me, and Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

November 22, 2012 9:20 pm  #6

A little fantasy Thanksgiving story in honor of the day:

Ever since the 4th of July pillow caper, when I had broken into 221B Baker Street, stolen the Union Jack pillow, replaced it with the Stars and Stripes; and then, not surprisingly, had been confronted for my prank by the great detective, Sherlock Holmes, I'd been searching for a way to apologize for my blunder.  What could I do to apologize; and yes, I must admit, get myself back into 221B and into the presence of that gorgeous, brilliant, er......mind.   

After wondering around London for a bit, lost in the grey November weather, it suddenly occured to me what I could do.  But I would need Mrs. Hudson's help.  I wasn't about to make the same mistake and break in again - not when I'd be shot this time, no questions asked.  Luckily, Mrs. Hudson had been very kind to me on the 4th of July, especially after I praised her Victoria Sponge to the skies and told her she should be exporting it to America.

Therefore, I found myself  knocking on her back door on Thursday morning November 22 explaining my little plan to her.  She looked dubious. 

"I doubt he can be bothered with it, dear," she said, in her motherly, sympathetic way. " He has a lot on his mind right now, and when he gets in that way, he's never interested and always turns it away."

"But I'd still like to try," I begged.  "It will be very hard to resist, I think.  Not many people in America can."

"Well, I suppose it won't hurt to try," she said finally.  "I have been a bit worried about him.  Ever since Dr. Watson has gone off, he seems somewhat worse than normal."

"Gone off?  Where?" I asked innocently.

She lowered her voice to a whisper.  "I'm not sure, Dublin perhaps. Some sort of disagreement a few days ago over formaldihyde in the bathtub, I think."

This was looking better and better.  If it went as I hoped, I would have the great detective all to myself!  Oh, the reports I could send back to the Forum!

With Mrs. Hudson in on the plan, I set to work.  I raced here and there around the city gathering what was needed, and Mrs. Hudson kindly stepped out of the way to allow me to work at my own speed.  I must admit, the metric system was a little tough for me to master; but I was able to press on with instinct, experience, and tradition on my side.

At last, right around 7:30 PM all was in readiness. I was dishelved and tired, but excited.  This was it!

"You're in luck, dear,"  Mrs. Hudson beamed.  "He hasn't gone out. He's still up there, brooding"  She breathed in deeply. "Even he might like your....little surprise"

So up the stairs we went, loaded down with the fruits of my labor.  And what a labor of love it was. We could barely carry it all. I was exhausted.

"Hoo, hoo," called Mrs. Hudson, cheerily and pushed her way in the door with her good hip.  "Sherlock, darling, we have a little surprise for you.  Look, here's your little friend from America and see what she's made for you.  It's a lovely American Thanksgiving dinner - turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, peas with onions, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, rolls.  Everything the Americans love!  Isn't that nice?"

Without waiting for a reply she bustled about clearing off the table and putting out place settings for two - including candles!

Nervously, I stood in the doorway and saw Sherlock Holmes in his dressing gown, sitting in his chair by the fire.  He rose to his feet when he saw us and what we had brought in  - and, oh god, my heart sank; he did not look one bit happy. No, not one bit.

"What is the meaning of this invasion?" He said, glaring.  "I don't wish to be disturbed, you were aware of that Mrs. Hudson.  Please stop this, right now"

"Now Sherlock dear, no need to be unpleasant," she said, ignoring him and continuing to set out the food.  "Look, isn't this lovely and doesn't it just smell delicious.  You know you need to eat.  What has been, three days now?  I won't have you starving yourself under my roof, young man.  The least you can do is thank this nice lady.  She's here to make amends."

"Amends are not required.  Respect for my privacy is. This is the second time she's disregarded it."  He was glaring at me now. 

I wanted to sink through the floor.  I'd blown it again!

"Well, dear.  I've laid everything out now.  Sherlock, you really should consider the thought that went into this kind deed and be thankfu for it. Now, why don't I just slip out and leave you two to sort this, shall I?"

Oh god, she'd left me alone with him.  What should I do, what should I say?

"A lot of people like Thanksgiving dinner". I finally managed to squeak out.  "I thought maybe you would too".

"Why would I think that when I'm not an American?  This is not my tradition - it's yours.  Besides.."  His voice softened a bit.  "I'm not in the mood to eat anything right now.  This meal took effort, I can see, but it does not appeal to me.  I'm thinking, and when I'm thinking I can't eat......no matter how tempting."  He turned his back and look toward the windows, his shoulders slumping.

Just then, we heard the sound of the front door slamming and someone running up the stairs.  Sherlock Holmes turned quickly to face the door and I saw there was a ghost of a smile on his face.  The door burst open and there stood Dr. John Watson.  He was breathless and looked quite adorable in a soft woolen jumper and jeans, his cheeks rosy from the November cold.  I wanted to faint.

The two just stood there for a moment staring at each other.  Finally John spoke and he sounded very angry.  "You're insufferable, you know that, Sherlock?  You're rude and arrogant and selfish, with no regard for anything or anyone but yourself.  There are days you make my life so miserable I want to tear my hair out - then punch you in the face!

Sherlock never took his eyes off of him, his expression soft.  I felt I was in the presence of something very private.

"Well, " John went on, still angry.  "What do you have to say for yourself, you big tit!"

There was a slight pause and then Sherlock said gently, "Have dinner with me?"  He gestured toward my Thanksgiving spread.

John stared at the table in amazement, then at Sherlock, then back at the table again as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing.  Finally his face broke into a broad grin.  "Oh god, yes! I'm starving and that smells amazing.  Mrs. Hudson really outdid herself this time, didn't she. How'd she know I was coming back?"

Sherlock glanced quickly in my direction and for the first time, John noticed my presence.  "Hello," he said quietly with a question mark in his voice as he regarded me intently.

"John, this is the lady who......"

Quickly I stepped forward, finally thinking fast for the first time ever in my life.  "Hello, I'm Ms. Kay Price from a few streets over and I came here seeking donations for the Benevolant Ladies Auxillary fund;  but, I can see this is entirely the wrong time and I have no desire to interupt your lovely dinner.  I'll just take my leave now and leave you two alone to enjoy. I'llcome back another time, shall I?"

With that, I turned toward the door to go but not before I saw Sherlock silently mouth the words "Thank you" at me.

As I started down the stairs I heard him say, "John sit down over here.  Yes, this dinner is amazing isn't it.  I'm suddenly very hungry myself.  Are you aware of the date? It's Thanksgiving Day in America and you might have noticed this is a typical American Thanksgiving Day feast with all the trimmings.  Apparently Americans adore it.  And I'm told football is traditional too on this day.  Perhaps later we could go down to the pub you favour.  I believe they show American games there.  Would you like a beer? There's some in the fridge......."

I was smiling as I closed the front door to 221B.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 22, 2012 9:33 pm  #7

Hey, that's a really nice one, KP! From you?  Like it very much. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 22, 2012 9:35 pm  #8

Oh - what a lovely idea, KP! I wouldn't mind you being a regular guest in 221B so that we can read more of your heart-warming stories.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 22, 2012 9:38 pm  #9

Yes... really lovely idea and story! 
Except that pillow-thing.... Ts.... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 23, 2012 3:10 am  #10

Hey Matt - the pillow caper thing is on the "National Stereotype" thread from back in July.  Ever since that fateful night, I've been trying to figure out a way to get back inside 221B without getting myself killed. 

This summer Ancientsgate and I were thinking about how to get inside John's bedroom.  Since no one has ever seen it, the plan was to look around and report back to the Forum on what we found.  But I guess we chickened out......probably because it would have been more of a home invasion than a prank and we didn't want to get arrested or shot .

Well, you know I just can't resist hanging around 221B - so maybe I'll try getting inside again one of these days.  You never know.     Anyone want to go with me?

November 23, 2012 5:35 am  #11

KeepersPrice wrote:

Anyone want to go with me?

Could be dangerous then?
Anytime, Miss Price!
I could carry a water melon or whatever and bring socks so we won't create too much noise on the stairs.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 23, 2012 4:07 pm  #12

We're all in food comas today over here, Tobe, but I'll try to think of another reason to get inside 221B.  Sherlock apparently knows me now as that 'harmless nutcase from the Forum', so we may not need to sneak in; BUT...... he and John just might like a pair of your wonderful knitted socks. Hmmm, Christmas is coming.....let me think about this......... 

Last edited by KeepersPrice (November 23, 2012 4:13 pm)

November 23, 2012 4:55 pm  #13

This is wonderful, KP, very good. Maybe next time you could explore the exact layout of the bathroom (as discussed elsewhere in this forum). 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 23, 2012 8:54 pm  #14

KeepersPrice wrote:

We're all in food comas today over here, Tobe, but I'll try to think of another reason to get inside 221B.  Sherlock apparently knows me now as that 'harmless nutcase from the Forum', so we may not need to sneak in; BUT...... he and John just might like a pair of your wonderful knitted socks. Hmmm, Christmas is coming.....let me think about this......... 

Just make sure not to mess up the sock index...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

November 23, 2012 9:43 pm  #15

Oh, you guys have some great ideas!  Now the pressure is on to put them to good use

November 23, 2012 10:08 pm  #16

KeepersPrice wrote:

A little fantasy Thanksgiving story in honor of the day:....Some sort of disagreement a few days ago over formaldihyde in the bathtub, I think."

Bwahahahahahaha! Poor John! Imagine the stink, and the possible danger to his bits. *snorfle*

".... It's a lovely American Thanksgiving dinner - turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, peas with onions, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, rolls.  Everything the Americans love!

Some of us call it dressing, not stuffing. lol And no apple pie? *smile*

Just then, we heard the sound of the front door slamming and someone running up the stairs.  Sherlock Holmes turned quickly to face the door and I saw there was a ghost of a smile on his face.  The door burst open and there stood Dr. John Watson.  He was breathless and looked quite adorable in a soft woolen jumper and jeans, his cheeks rosy from the November cold.  I wanted to faint.

Indeed, a THUD to the floor might very well have been warranted.

And there was Sherlock, bending over backwards to actually be....nice! About time!

Great fun, KP.  Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

November 23, 2012 10:12 pm  #17

KeepersPrice wrote:

This summer Ancientsgate and I were thinking about how to get inside John's bedroom.  Since no one has ever seen it, the plan was to look around and report back to the Forum on what we found.  But I guess we chickened out......probably because it would have been more of a home invasion than a prank and we didn't want to get arrested or shot .

Maybe we can get hired on with the local Merry Maids (or whatever they're called in London) and get ourselves assigned to 221B to change the sheets, do the floors, clean up that piggy kitchen, mop up the bathroom, etc. (Could be dangerous..... mmmmmm......) Sounds like a lot of work, but it'd be worth it to get up that 2nd set of stairs to see The Room That's Never Before Been Shown.  Hmmm.

November 23, 2012 10:19 pm  #18

I'll only do it if I can wear one of those blue protection suits from A Study in Pink! Lol! 

Last edited by Davina (November 23, 2012 10:19 pm)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 23, 2012 10:20 pm  #19

ancientsgate wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Maybe we can get hired on with the local Merry Maids (or whatever they're called in London) and get ourselves assigned to 221B to change the sheets, do the floors, clean up that piggy kitchen, mop up the bathroom, etc. (Could be dangerous..... mmmmmm......) Sounds like a lot of work, but it'd be worth it to get up that 2nd set of stairs to see The Room That's Never Before Been Shown.  Hmmm.

I'd love to see you shoveling body parts out of the fridge. 

November 23, 2012 10:25 pm  #20

How did we get from Thanksgiving to  shoveling body parts out of a fridge? Hopefully there's not connection....

Board footera