BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2012 2:29 am  #1

This May Psych You Out!

Let me ‘Psych’ you Out! What do do when you re-read the whole Doyle canon and are looking for other things to keep your sanity? You may discover 'Psych'!

In short, Shawn is (an often childish) genius who solves crimes with his childhood friend Gus, a pharmaceutical salesman. Asked what sort of psych he would be, Shawn replies ‘the kind that loves bees and historical novels’. In later episodes he sometimes explains he would be a Psychic Detective and ‘probably the only one’. Shawn has been trained by his police dad from early childhood on, and now has exceptional observational skills. His dad, however, still chides him ‘you do not see what is right in front of you’. The opening credits of Season 5 show him through a looking glass. Physically, Shawn has a rather distinctive nose.

The longer version: “Shawn originally becomes known as a psychic when, after calling in tips on dozens of crime covered on the news, which help the police to close the case, the police become suspicious of his knowledge. The police theorize that such knowledge could only come from the "inside" and they decide to arrest him as a suspect. To avoid being sent to jail, Shawn uses his observational skills to convince the police that he is psychic. The interim police chief warns Shawn that if his "powers" are fake, he will be prosecuted. With no choice but to keep up the act, and having proven himself an effective aid to the police in solving crimes, he establishes a psychic detective agency, Psych, and becomes a consultant to the police. Pretending to have psychic powers allows him to engage in strange and comic behavior as he turns real clues into hunches and otherworldly visitations. He enjoys teasing lifelong friend Gus, a pharmaceutical representative, about Gus's eclectic interests.

Picture Collage 1: Bees in the background (on the boxes, hard to see). Shawn and Gus work for the local police. Gus tackling a three patch problem. Shawn’s distinctive profile.

Further points of similarity: Shawn revels in his revelations and actively seeks an audience (preferably Gus). From Season 3 he starts to explain and not just reveal is observations. Shawn does initiate physical contact quite often; however, when someone else does so he advises ‘I do the touching’.

Shawn and Gus are often mistaken to be in a gay relationship. However, when Gus develops a serious relationship with a girlfriend, Shawn proves to be very suspicious. And he is concerned about the living arrangements should Gus marry. Overall, Shawn is advised that ‘only fools fall in love’. The Chief detective Lassiter advises him that ‘all love ends in despair’. Work should be unaffected by emotion. His arch enemy reminds him that ‘feelings are the enemy of efficiency’. In a Xmas episode it becomes clear that Shawn can struggle to read emotions. In one episode it is Head Detective Lassiter that is accused of being ‘a robot’. And Shawn is threatened ‘I will burn the heart out of you’.

In one funny episode Shawn talks about THE Woman. In a memorable moment they open a safe after realising the code is based on a woman's measurements. Shawn wields a chocolate harpoon, and they also solve the mystery of the Adventures of the Dying Daredevil. The roller derby villain is called Westwood. A missing bullet is shown to have traveled through an open window. There is an awesome scene of ‘punch me in the face’ to Lassiter when Shawn has to maintain his cover as a ‘fellow criminal’ during a police raid. Still, Lassiter only punches Shawn after he is further provoked. There are jokes about chemistry and hydrochloric acid; and we see a boxing match. The Drag Racing episode has an absolute spectacular key throw. The coffee is drunk black with two sugar. In an episode at sea, Gus sports three patches to deal with his motion sickness.
In one episode it is commented that when they annoy each other it would be like violins arguing. Gus often corrects Shawn as he is a ‘stickler for expression’. Shawn urges Gus to ‘keep up with me’.

Picture Collage 2: Unconventional use of furniture. Notice the hands? The hip stance. One of many disguises: the lab coat. And THE coat.

I bet I got more Sherlockians hooked now?

November 20, 2012 6:06 am  #2

Re: This May Psych You Out!

I hadn't heard of this series until you posted this. Now you have set me on a mission to find it. Some good ideas & links to canon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 20, 2012 8:26 pm  #3

I've watched this show quite a few times.  It's very entertaining - with great banter between Shawn and Gus.
Doc, you've teased out a lot of similarities to SH.  Nice observations!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 21, 2012 11:56 pm  #4

And some more, well, it's 'Not Monday' Purple Shirt Day! The Psych guys rocking it in purple for your viewing pleasure:

December 3, 2012 3:06 am  #5

Last edited by The Doctor (December 3, 2012 3:08 am)

January 3, 2013 3:47 am  #6

Hear, hear..

.. and we just realised that the actor Timothy is playing the character Carlton.

What would Benedict say?

Board footera