BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2012 7:00 am  #1

If Sherlock had not seen the newspaper article when he was on the run

Where would he have gone next?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 5, 2012 7:19 am  #2

Re: If Sherlock had not seen the newspaper article when he was on the run

kazza474 wrote:

Where would he have gone next?

Wherever the writers wrote him? lol

Honestly, opinion would be some place he knew to be safe, a place to give him some time to plot his next move or wait to see what Moriarity's next move would be.

March 5, 2012 8:40 am  #3

Hidden and planned, !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you eliminate the impossible,
What every remains,
However improbable,...
Must be the truth !

March 5, 2012 9:09 am  #4

I think he probably would have gone to St Barts, then contacted Moriarty by text, or waited for contact from him.

But then, if Sherlock hadn't seen Moriarty posing as Richard Brook then that would change everything. It was only after the experience at Kitty's flat that everything slotted into place in Sherlock's mind, before that it was just strands of things that only half made sense. He wouldn't have started planning for the jump without the Rich Brook experience, and it also would have spoilt Moriarty's plans if Sherlock hadn't have found out.

Sherlock already knew that Moriarty's plan was to ruin his reputation and make people think he had done the crimes and make him go on the run, so it seems a logical step in reasoning that at some point he would think of looking in a newspaper to see if anything had been published knocking his character/reputation. The fact that they found the paper in the alley speeded up the whole process and from a dramatical point of view was obviously better than go to St Barts, hang around for a bit, I'm bored what shall we do, d'you want me to get a newspaper to read or something.

I think if Sherlock hadn't read the newspaper at all then after a while Moriarty probably would have texted him and pointed him in the right direction or invited him to meet him somewhere.

Sorry to write such a long analysis of such a simple question, I'm just in one of them moods.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 5, 2012 9:17 am  #5

LOL! Nah good ideas.

Are you sure he would have hidden? Yes, from the police, but from Moriarty??

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 5, 2012 12:08 pm  #6

I am just off to do some investigative research on this topic. You might want to wait there and have a cup of tea and there might be a couple of biscuits if John has left any. In fact, you'd better not wait up.  I am going to have to watch the episode AGAIN!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 11:46 am  #7

Thing is he was going to see it, it was all over the place...may have delayed things a bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2013 8:23 am  #8

Maybe I am mistaken here or just wrong, but why do you think that Sherlock has not already read the newspaper?
Mycroft has found it when it was the first announcement of the article about Riley, Richard Brook and Sherlock. Mycroft "asked" John to come to the Diogenes Club to talk to him. About what? "Caught my eye" If Mycroft read it, Sherlock can read it, too. Sherlock doesn't even look at the newspaper when John sees the article while on the run.

At the beginning of the episode we get to see the deerstalker-scene. John is sitting on the couch and he is shifting through many newspapers.  Conclusion: Sherlock reads newspapers and they can be seen on the table. That's the place where the newspaper lies in the morning. 

Mycroft askes John: Brook. Recognize the name? Subtext: Bach; Reichenbach, Moriarty. Are you aware that this is Moriarty? Did Sherlock tell you?
When John is oblivious and has no idea: Mycroft turns around and faces the camera. Look at his face:
He is visibly moved. I am not sure if he is sad, worried or angry, but here he recognizes that Sherlock will do it alone and that John is not informed. He turns around to hide his face. 

His next question is about the four assassins. He wants to know whether John knows about them:
"Anything you care to share with me? If not Moriarty than who? Subtext: Is this Sherlock? Has Sherlock put some people out around himself to protect John and himself?
John doesn't know anything again.So Mycroft decides at least to inform John about that. And maybe send the fierce looking guy to protect Mrs Hudson?

When John enters the flat. There is IMO a newspaper on the table next to the couch. Sherlock has read it already. 

April 16, 2013 5:42 pm  #9

Be wrote:

Maybe I am mistaken here or just wrong, but why do you think that Sherlock has not already read the newspaper?
Mycroft has found it when it was the first announcement of the article about Riley, Richard Brook and Sherlock. Mycroft "asked" John to come to the Diogenes Club to talk to him. About what? "Caught my eye" If Mycroft read it, Sherlock can read it, too. Sherlock doesn't even look at the newspaper when John sees the article while on the run.

At the beginning of the episode we get to see the deerstalker-scene. John is sitting on the couch and he is shifting through many newspapers.  Conclusion: Sherlock reads newspapers and they can be seen on the table. That's the place where the newspaper lies in the morning. 

Mycroft askes John: Brook. Recognize the name? Subtext: Bach; Reichenbach, Moriarty. Are you aware that this is Moriarty? Did Sherlock tell you?
When John is oblivious and has no idea: Mycroft turns around and faces the camera. Look at his face:
He is visibly moved. I am not sure if he is sad, worried or angry, but here he recognizes that Sherlock will do it alone and that John is not informed. He turns around to hide his face. 

His next question is about the four assassins. He wants to know whether John knows about them:
"Anything you care to share with me? If not Moriarty than who? Subtext: Is this Sherlock? Has Sherlock put some people out around himself to protect John and himself?
John doesn't know anything again.So Mycroft decides at least to inform John about that. And maybe send the fierce looking guy to protect Mrs Hudson?

When John enters the flat. There is IMO a newspaper on the table next to the couch. Sherlock has read it already.

This is pretty much where I'm at, although I'll have to go check for the reaction.  It's very similar to the theory laid out here, this is the first paragraph:

Irene Adler in a rhinestone thong couldn't look more out of place inside the Diogenes Club than a copy of The Sun on a polished end table next to Mycroft's chair under a lamp.  He couldn't have done more to get John to notice it without a blinking neon arrow.   Mycroft's disclaimer a minute later "But that's not why I asked you here," is obfuscation, it was exactly why he asked John there, in part.

But part of that is the idea that Mycroft and Sherlock have been planning Moriarty's downfall since the end of Scandal and they are being careful to maintain the idea that they don't speak to keep Moriarty off-guard, as well as keep John in the dark.

I agree Sherlock already knew about the piece, I wonder if he dragged John to that location precisely because he knew that's where they left the early edition of the paper? 

Board footera