BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2012 6:51 pm  #21

Re: Elemantary on German TV

Come on... we all know Sherlock just throws UNimportant things out of his mind palace. Surely not the smallest information he got about John! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 17, 2012 1:54 pm  #22

Interesting, I might actually watch it if I happen to be home...at least the pilot episode. Would be interesting to see what all the fuss is about 

Concerning the dubbing, I totally agree with what has been said here...these days, most German dubbing is very high standard, and there really is no reason for all the criticism.
Of course, the original is the original, and any translation is a compromise, but I think it's a bit arrogant to assume that your average American sitcom or teen soap writers use such individual language and subtle humour that it's impossible to translate.

Also, as Harriet has pointed out, subtitles make it harder to watch and follow the action on screen, so probably it would put quite a few people off watching the show at all. TV is light entertainment, especially on channels like SAT 1, and there is nothing wrong with that.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

November 17, 2012 6:13 pm  #23

Right. Still I would prefer at least to have a choice. Switch sound-channel e.g.
Despide modern technique not possible. Or we have the wrong one at home. 

January 6, 2013 11:23 am  #24

Finally:

10th of Jan, Sat 1, 21:15-22:15
17th of Jan
24th of Jan
and so on....

http://www.prisma.de/fernsehen/tv_suche.html?pattern=Elementary

January 6, 2013 12:35 pm  #25

I think I'll give it a try (if only to discuss it with you later on). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2013 4:42 pm  #26

Thanks, Mattlocked  I keep forgetting about it, but if I have the time, I might give it a try

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 8, 2013 3:51 pm  #27

Will be definitely hard for me to watch Elementary open-minded. But I think I will not like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 10, 2013 8:32 pm  #28

Yeah, I do not like it. Miscast.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 10, 2013 8:37 pm  #29

My daughter said after one minute: Sherlock's better.

Sorry, but he has no charisma. At least not after the first fifteen minutes. And I don't like the way he moves, it's somehow exaggerated. Let's see what happens after the adverts. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 10, 2013 8:41 pm  #30

Well, I stopped after the first 15 minutes. I will watch a Study in Pink now, to forget the shock.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 10, 2013 9:00 pm  #31

The scene at the opera wasn't so bad. But the whole thing lacks the style, the elegance, the chemistry, the humour, the clever plotting, the innovative ideas.

Last edited by SusiGo (January 10, 2013 9:02 pm)

January 10, 2013 9:06 pm  #32

SusiGo wrote:

The scene at the opera wasn't so bad. But the whole thing lacks the style, the elegance, the chemistry, the humour, the clever plotting, the innovative ideas.

... you could continue the listing for hours...

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 10, 2013 9:21 pm  #33

And he's too weak altogether. His behaviour's too erratic, he apologises too often, he's not confident enough. I can only agree with what so many others have said before me: not bad as a crime show but it's not Sherlock Holmes.

January 10, 2013 9:24 pm  #34

It was nice. There was humour and some things normal idiots hardly understand. So far so good.
Maybe 45 minutes net are too short to go deeper under the surface. Missed that.
And then: He is too kind. Apologizes too early. Not the annoying dick I love. 

Edit: I notice I have to speed up in writing. ;-)

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 10, 2013 9:26 pm)

January 10, 2013 9:27 pm  #35

So disappointed.
But I did not expect that much.
There were some funny scenes, but I missed the dry british humour.
A problem all american series are confronted with 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 10, 2013 9:30 pm  #36

You can't say it often enough. We want a charismatic, curly, annoying dick with a classy coat and green eyes and his little, brave doctor. 

January 10, 2013 9:31 pm  #37

Yes, I think I already found some of the "American drama" in some scenes. Nobody's crying, but still....

But I liked the bees on the roof. 

January 10, 2013 9:31 pm  #38

It was as if they had a check list. His name has to be Sherlock Holmes, hers something that sounds like John Watson, he has to be a drug addict, bored all the time and a little bit rude, he has to be interested in bees ... And they put it all in, it did not fit and it did not leave enough room for the characters to develop. Perhaps it will get better after a few episodes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 10, 2013 9:36 pm  #39

And did I get it right? The explanation (deduction) of Joan at the end, Sherlock is afraid of relationships? In German we call it "Bindungsangst" - o god, how I hate it!!!

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 10, 2013 9:36 pm)

January 10, 2013 9:36 pm  #40

And I have a suspicion that they tried to create a mixture of Dr. House and our beloved Moriarty to make this version of 'Sherlock Holmes' interesting.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera